the other AOD leak (front, while sitting)

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

the other AOD leak (front, while sitting)

Postby phoenix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:49 am

Well, the car has sat for a little over a week now. Here it is - 8 days later (the leak's on the floor right by the stand in the first image).

THERE! what is this thing anyway? the orange is red paint btw, from rustproofing in Jan.

and it's definitely ATF

thanks!
(1990 LSC SE)
ImageImage

currently has: Arnott coils, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly poly poly bushings everywhere, Maximum Motorsports caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders

work/resto done by: moi, Scott Galen, Central&Caldwell (Edgebrook, IL), Paul Protos
phoenix

Re: the other AOD leak (front, while sitting)

Postby bigmark303 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Looks like it could be leaking from your throttle lever/linkage on the trans. The lever bolts through to the inside of the case.
bigmark303

Postby phoenix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks man. I looked up the part in the shop manual, that would be the "throttle lever oil seal" i'm guessing. Looks like nothing else could be leaking there.

Now for the not so good news - rockauto doesn't seem to have such a seal. Same for the chain stores. Where does one get them these days, or do I need an "AOD overhaul" gasket set? ty 8-)
(1990 LSC SE)
ImageImage

currently has: Arnott coils, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly poly poly bushings everywhere, Maximum Motorsports caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders

work/resto done by: moi, Scott Galen, Central&Caldwell (Edgebrook, IL), Paul Protos
phoenix

Postby bigmark303 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 pm

I believe it was transmissionpartsusa.com that I last saw those on. They carry the throttle grommet also.

And yes unless its running from somewhere else there is no other place on that portion of the transmission where fluid would leak down.
bigmark303

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Ditto, and most trans parts shops should sell that kind of odd part.

Don't go to replacing that unless you are doing other VB work too. You have to pull the pan, and then the large nut on the linkage on the inside, the outside parts, and then pull the roll pin out of the case(holding the lever in), just to get the lever out. With that much work to do, I'd make sure to do something else also, a VB kit, the "A" OD servo/piston/spring etc.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Gentlemen, you think she might make it driving with that seal leaking (assuming it is that seal) for a while? My goal is to get to August.
(1990 LSC SE)
ImageImage

phoenix

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Oh yes, that will stay that way for years. Put in some kind of seal additive if the leak is bothersome.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby bigmark303 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:08 pm

It will last for a while like that. In all honesty and I havnt done a million of them but its not that hard a job and can be done quick. Put the car on stands drop the pan and its right there on the inside. If you want more room and have a little more time pull the driveshaft out of the transmission and unbolt the transmission from its body mounts. Let it sag (watch out for fluid) and you have plenty of room to work.
bigmark303

Postby gadget73 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Truth be told, most transmission leaks aren't significantly more than bothersome. Unless you pop a cooler line, there isn't any harm in driving the car as long as you keep the fluid level topped up where it belongs.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Throw a piece of cardboard under the thing and wait until the transmission needs a rebuild someday. ;)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Return to Drivetrain