1984 fuel system de pressurize

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

1984 fuel system de pressurize

Postby Panamerica » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 am

Hey Everyone...
I'd like to change the fuel filter and possibly the injectors on my 1984 Base model... Can I depressurize the system by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine a bit?

Also, is there a step by step Fuel tank removal post somewhere in case I decide I need a fuel pump?

Thanks!
1990 Bill Blass; 1984 Base Model; 1981 Ford Courier Pickup
Panamerica
CLUB MEMBER

Re: 1984 fuel system de pressurize

Postby K MANIAC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

The simplest way the bleed off the residual fuel pressure is at the fuel pressure test port Schreader valve in the same manner as you would release excess air from a tire. I know the 1986 and newer cars with SEFI have these test ports but the 1984-5 cars with CFI may not. If you don't have a test port, simply loosen the clamp to the fuel supply line at the intake. Either way, be sure to have rags or towels available to soak up the excess fuel.

Before you start replacing any parts in the fuel injection system, you need to perform fuel pressure tests on the system using a fuel pressure test kit to verify the condition of the parts in the system. NEVER replace any part of the fuel system without proving the part is failing or has failed with fuel pressure testing. Look for my post about fuel pressure testing.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Re: 1984 fuel system de pressurize

Postby Panamerica » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks K Maniac!
I'll do just as you say...
and BTW- I'm green with envy over your '86. Mine was all brown like the one in this pic...
never should have sold it.

Thanks again, and have a good one...
1990 Bill Blass; 1984 Base Model; 1981 Ford Courier Pickup
Panamerica
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine