Choke pull off

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Choke pull off

Postby balfadiff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi group:
Just joined your site but I must admit I've used it many times.
I have a 1984 Bill BLASS with 32,000 orig miles.
My question is about the choke pull off for CFI.
I replaced the torn diaphragm an applied external vacuum to it and it works perfectly. Further investigation showed I have no vacuum going to it. My question is : I followed the line the from the pull off, up to the firewall and followed that bunch of lines to the thermactor system. Does that system with its relays and solenoids and smog pump supply vacuum to the choke pull off, egr valve etc.? My smog pump is making a bearing noise.
Thanks
Art
balfadiff

Re: Choke pull off

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello Art,
Welcome from sunny downtown Primos, PA!
There has been an increase in 1984 related questions and those of us that own them LOVE the one year only engine AND the questions that go with them.

We just completed discussing your particular issue in another thread but can also discuss it here.

The previous discussion was at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11036

After you read it, and the video that jubegnx linked to, let us know how you proceed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby balfadiff » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, but that thread didn't help much . My interest is the the vacuum controlled choke pull off that brings
the fast idle cam to the second position. I seem to have no vacuum at that line.
Where does the vacuum for that line originate?
I would hate to disassemble that bevy of vacuum lines to trace it back. As I said, that cable worth of lines seem to go to the
themactor system at the front pass side of the engine compartment.
Thanks
balfadiff

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 am

balfadiff wrote:Thanks for the reply, but that thread didn't help much . My interest is the the vacuum controlled choke pull off that brings
the fast idle cam to the second position. I seem to have no vacuum at that line.
Where does the vacuum for that line originate?

Whoops.
Now I understand.
I don't have immediate access to the diagram but off the top of my head, it comes from the 'salt and pepper shaker' solenoids. They're commanded by the computer based on cold or hot start.
balfadiff wrote:I would hate to disassemble that bevy of vacuum lines to trace it back. As I said, that cable worth of lines seem to go to the
themactor system at the front pass side of the engine compartment.
Thanks

There really isn't much to our vacuum systems so don't be intimidated by all of the lines. The vacuum lines only connect at about eight places. Start with the thinnest line at the Vacuum Manifold. It ~should~ go to the passenger side and tee to the Choke Pull Off and the solenoids.

Let us know how you proceed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby balfadiff » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks much. I'll check it out.
balfadiff

Return to Engine