HOW DO I GIVE MY MARK VII A TUNE UP?

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 am

AIR
Air Filter - $3.00 to $42.00

FUEL
Fuel Filter - $5.00 to $11.00

SPARK
Battery - $82.00 to $102.00
Distributor Cap - $6.00 to $28.00
Distributor Rotor - $2.00 to $6.00
Ignition Coil - $14.00 to $52.00
Ignition Control Module - $37.00 to $90.00
Spark Plugs - $16.00 to $120.00
Spark Plug Wires - $13.00 to $43.00
Voltage Regulator - $11.00 to $50.00

Total Cost For Parts - $189.00 to $544.00

Continue with scheduled maintenance and do NOT cut any corners. See: http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/scheduledMaintenance.htm
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: HOW DO I GIVE MY MARK VII A TUNE UP?

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 am

The battery, ignition coil, ignition control module, and voltage regulator are not usual tune up items. These items are more "replace as needed parts" though the voltage regulator is good to change with the alternator as a rule of thumb.
1985 Continental, Burgundy - In CT, Free to a good home!
1986 Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite Metallic (1J), Project #1
1986 Mark VII LSC, Silver Metallic, Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #, Unfortunate Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #2, Project #2
1994 Mazda Miata, Classic Red
1999 Dodge Viper ACR, Viper Silver Metallic
1999 Jaguar XJR, Black, Stock
2000 BMW 540i/A, Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5, Anthracite Metallic, Stock
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm

ND4SPDLSC wrote:The battery, ignition coil, ignition control module, and voltage regulator are not usual tune up items. These items are more "replace as needed parts" though the voltage regulator is good to change with the alternator as a rule of thumb.

Lincoln Mark VIIs are not ... the usual car.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:49 pm

oh no, not a spark plug preference thread lol.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby swithstang4 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 am

I just acquired a '90 SE with 82k miles. As far as I can tell it is completely original. It doesnt appear the cap and wires have been replaced, and who knows the last time the coolant was flushed, trans fluid changed, and fuel filter changed. I will say, it runs very well, thankfully. With that said, I still have planned the following:

Cap, rotor, plugs, wires
Fuel filter
coolant flush with new stat (the one in there right now appears to be stuck open)
replace trans fluid and filter
replace pcv

These are things I feel are pretty necessary. What I'm not certain about are:

clean the IAC?
EGR?
TPS? i dont really know if they should be cleaned/replaced or not
Do I need to replace the coil?
anything else?

brakes and tires are good and the air ride works well but it feels like it needs shocks and i'll post in the suspension section for advice on preventative stuff for the air ride. Thanks for the help guys.
swithstang4

Postby phoenix » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 am

swithstang4 wrote:
These are things I feel are pretty necessary. What I'm not certain about are:

clean the IAC?
EGR?
TPS? i dont really know if they should be cleaned/replaced or not
Do I need to replace the coil?
anything else?

brakes and tires are good and the air ride works well but it feels like it needs shocks and i'll post in the suspension section for advice on preventative stuff for the air ride. Thanks for the help guys.

I'd clean the IAC, but leave the EGR in place unless you're experiencing the symptoms of a bad one or have codes for it (which don't forget - could be the solenoid's or the EGR sensor's fault). Which reminds me - do you have an OBD 1 code reader yet?

For the TPS, i'd probably wait on that unless, again, you're experiencing the symptoms... and there should be codes for the TPS!

I don't know what to say about the coil. I'll let somebody else tackle that one. I don't think there are codes for it.

New shocks made such a world of difference on my car. When I bought her she rode like a dump truck. :lol:
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby swithstang4 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 pm

I don't have a code reader yet. Just trying to get a handle on things I should replace just because the car is so old and things I should have the "aint broke, dont fix it" attitude towards. Looks like I'm getting the categories sorted out now. Thanks.
swithstang4

Postby GreyLightningFox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 pm

My 115k 1992 lsc's air ride seems to work fine and I am pretty sure it is all original. The car lowers itself after I shut it off and I hear lots of air pump sounding noises lol. What type of preventative repairs should I undertake so that nothing expensive breaks?
GreyLightningFox

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Replace your air filter, fuel filter, battery, distributor cap, ignition coil, ignition control module, spark plugs, spark plug wires, voltage regulator, and all fluids.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby GreyLightningFox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Anything that I should do to the air suspension to ensure continued healthy existence?
GreyLightningFox

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm

The Suspension Forum goes DEEP into answering your question.

The short answer would be to treat your rubber air springs the same as you treat your rubber tires; at the first sign of any type leak, replace them all.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Keep the air bags and the connections for the air lines clean and lubricated. They usually develop leaks from abrasion at the base of the air bags, or vibration of the air connections.

Also check out the suspension section and find the link to instructions for baking the beads in the drier(next to the compressor). Moisture will begin to build up in the lines and bags, if the drier beads absorb to much moisture. Night,
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby GreyLightningFox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:00 am

I posted in the body forum, and got no replies. My assumption is that I posted in wrong place. If I pose a question here, perhaps you can point me in the correct direction. Where are the best spots to use a hydraulic floor jack to lift the car front and back?
GreyLightningFox

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 am

Oh you'll get answers! :lol: This is The Lincoln Mark VII Club and we don't live at our computers ;) Patience. You ~will~ receive answers.

The BODY forum is definately the place to get that question answered. I normally post a bajillion pictures when answering "how to" questions, but I'm currently rebuilding my photo gallery. Eight years of detailed pictures temporarily unavailable online.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby GreyLightningFox » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks a lot! This is a great organization! So far all of your information that you have given me has been extremely helpful! Thank you!

LGF
GreyLightningFox

Postby Devo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 am

What would be really great is if part numbers were included with the list, it would make it really easy to walk into autozone and hand them the numbers and not have to deal with their usual runaround.
Devo

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 am

AdvancedPepZone is like any other large chain of parts stores; their ability to produce exactly what you want is only as great as the information they have on hand.

The usual runaround that you speak of may be due to one or two characters of a seventeen digit part number being juxtaposed by an exhausted data entry clerk back in 1997. That's about one entry for every 700,000 or so parts. So, when a Lincoln Mark VII owner asks for a starter relay, the employee can only produce what is in the company's database.

Owners must must must realize that you are asking for data that is at least 19 years old (as of this writing) that may have gone through tens of format changes as suppliers are purchased by larger suppliers.

THOUSANDS of successful transaction are made every day, but owners fail to acknowledge them. If an owner receives a normally closed starter relay instead of a normally open starter relay, they tend to report their negative experience to anyone ... for decades. Please do NOT judge a company by one unfortunate instance, but by your experiences as a whole. If you must report a problem, do so to corporate or at least a District Manager, and also report all of the transactions you've experienced that were flawless.

Some of us have successfully purchased THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS worth of parts from Rock Auto. Nice company. Now. Unless you tell CORPORATE that the information in their database about a certain item is incorrect, how will they ever know to correct it?

The reason that part numbers are NOT included with the list is because the list is a GUIDE. We actually spent WEEKS comparing what we were all paying for the parts mentioned above. The minimum and maximum prices for these items were included in the guide as it was the most common parameter across the board.

We URGE owners like yourself to read through the guide and come to your own conclusions of what prices you want to pay for which items and later REPORT BACK to the rest of us, your resource, what your experiences were on availability, ease of installation, quality of product and, oh yeah, part numbers :)

Read through the ENGINE forum. You'll be surprised as to how many part numbers were shared.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 am

oldschool1 wrote:Image

AdvancedPepZone is like any other large chain of parts stores; their ability to produce exactly what you want is only as great as the information they have on hand.

The usual runaround that you speak of may be due to one or two characters of a seventeen digit part number being juxtaposed by an exhausted data entry clerk back in 1997. That's about one entry for every 700,000 or so parts. So, when a Lincoln Mark VII owner asks for a starter relay, the employee can only produce what is in the company's database.

Owners must must must realize that you are asking for data that is at least 19 years old (as of this writing) that may have gone through tens of format changes as suppliers are purchased by larger suppliers.

THOUSANDS of successful transaction are made every day, but owners fail to acknowledge them. If an owner receives a normally closed starter relay instead of a normally open starter relay, they tend to report their negative experience to anyone ... for decades. Please do NOT judge a company by one unfortunate instance, but by your experiences as a whole. If you must report a problem, do so to corporate or at least a District Manager, and also report all of the transactions you've experienced that were flawless.

Some of us have successfully purchased THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS worth of parts from Rock Auto. Nice company. Now. Unless you tell CORPORATE that the information in their database about a certain item is incorrect, how will they ever know to correct it?

The reason that part numbers are NOT included with the list is because the list is a GUIDE. We actually spent WEEKS comparing what we were all paying for the parts mentioned above. The minimum and maximum prices for these items were included in the guide as it was the most common parameter across the board.

We URGE owners like yourself to read through the guide and come to your own conclusions of what prices you want to pay for which items and later REPORT BACK to the rest of us, your resource, what your experiences were on availability, ease of installation, quality of product and, oh yeah, part numbers :)

Read through the ENGINE forum. You'll be surprised as to how many part numbers were shared.

Bump.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine