What is this switch under the steering wheel? '89 VII

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

What is this switch under the steering wheel? '89 VII

Postby beazor » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:09 pm

I've been googling; came up with nothing. This is right below the steering wheel, to the right of the parking break release. 1989 Mark VII.
This little on/off switch. What does this thing do?
http://imgur.com/a/4SVqt
beazor

Re: What is this switch under the steering wheel? '89 VII

Postby K MANIAC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm

That is NOT a factory switch. Somebody at sometime installed some electrical device that the switch controls. Turn it on and see what happens.

I once found a similar looking switch unmounted under the dashboard of another car I own. I followed the two wires through the firewall and into the engine compartment. I found one wire attached to the negative terminal of the coil and the other wire attached to a grounded bolt. In my case, flipping the switch grounded the coil, disabling the ignition system. It was a hidden, home made anti theft switch.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby beazor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Before me, the car was owned for the last 27 years by a little old lady. Hopefully flicking it on will not destroy my car D:
beazor

Postby K MANIAC » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:56 pm

I doubt that operating the switch will destroy your car. It was put in there for some purpose. Given the on/off label, I expect the switch is a two-position switch, that will hold in either one position or the other. Or it could be a spring-loaded switch that bounces back to off when you release it from the on position. My father's previous Town Car had a similar style switch installed on the steering column when he bought the car. In this case, it was a spring loaded switch that remotely operated the starter, allowing the driver to switch the ignition on, then starting the car using the spring loaded switch. Just food for thought.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:14 pm

beazor wrote:Interesting. Thanks for the info. Before me, the car was owned for the last 27 years by a little old lady. Hopefully flicking it on will not destroy my car D:

Maybe the little old lady had nitrous installed and this was the switch to turn it on. :shock: :lol:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby K MANIAC » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Of course, the easiest way to figure what the switch does is to trace the wires and find out where they go.

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Return to Electronic