Tripminder/overhead console

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Tripminder/overhead console

Postby lncsarnia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am

My second tripminder went bad. It would work then black out. I tried to reset it by disconnecting the battery cable and it just started to make a continuous alarm sound then quit. Now I am just noticing that the compass/temp is sometimes working then not. More working than not.
Someone mentioned that you should replace both the tripminder and compass at the same time as a lot of the times the compass causes the tripminder to short out. I have an extra tripminder to put in but what about the compass, should I replace it before hooking up the newer tripminder? Do not want to blow it up too. I checked all power and grounds and they are OK.

How can I get hold of Paul Protos to rebuild the compass and one of my extra tripminders, Is this the better way to go then putting a used one in?
lncsarnia

Re: Tripminder/overhead console

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 pm

The tripminder and the compass are two different units, the only connection between them is a wire to change from metric to standard when the button is pushed on the tripminder. My advice is to pull the compass unit before it destroys itself. The capacitors in these are known to leak and cause major damage if not caught in time 90-92 units especially ...... Paul's e-mail is polyscroll@hotmail.com, he can repair anything if it is repairable... 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby lncsarnia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:The tripminder and the compass are two different units, the only connection between them is a wire to change from metric to standard when the button is pushed on the tripminder. My advice is to pull the compass unit before it destroys itself. The capacitors in these are known to leak and cause major damage if not caught in time 90-92 units especially ...... Paul's e-mail is polyscroll@hotmail.com, he can repair anything if it is repairable... 8-)

I wiil e-mail him but does anyone have a phone number? Would repairing it with newer capacitors stop the malfunction later on in the future or are they just susceptible to that.

thx
lncsarnia

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

lncsarnia wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:The tripminder and the compass are two different units, the only connection between them is a wire to change from metric to standard when the button is pushed on the tripminder. My advice is to pull the compass unit before it destroys itself. The capacitors in these are known to leak and cause major damage if not caught in time 90-92 units especially ...... Paul's e-mail is polyscroll@hotmail.com, he can repair anything if it is repairable... 8-)

I wiil e-mail him but does anyone have a phone number? Would repairing it with newer capacitors stop the malfunction later on in the future or are they just susceptible to that.

thx

As far as I know, Paul does e-mail only and give him a few days, he is a busy guy and does repairs in his spare time. Let me assure you, Paul will not only replace the failing part, but ALL the parts that are known to fail, making the unit better than new. He does top notch work and guarantees it :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby phoenix » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:14 am

+1

Paul is the best. He has a pretty cool daytime job, so definitely give him time to respond. If there's a man for Lincoln electronics repair, it is him. Paul has rebuilt both my CD and cassette deck players, as well as the JBL amp - top notch job all of them.
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Return to Electronic