On and off check engine light. 89 Lincoln mark vii

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

On and off check engine light. 89 Lincoln mark vii

Postby DarrylGarcia775 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:42 am

So I've owned my mark for a good 5 years now. I love my car and it always had this problem. When I start going the check engine light will just flash on and off a couple times. It passes smog just fine but when I get on the freeway it kinda just flickers. I changed the O2's awhile back but still have the same problem. It would be kinda nice not having the check engine light flash at me especially in the night haha. Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you
Darryl G
DarrylGarcia775

Re: On and off check engine light. 89 Lincoln mark vii

Postby K MANIAC » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:20 pm

The first question is, have you used a code reader to check the codes?

Having said that, I too have the flickering check engine light on my 1989 LSC. For me, if usually occurs during the first few miles after starting up cold and stops when the car has been running a while and is warmed up. It happens more frequently to me during colder weather than warm summer days. I also know that my car seems to run cold with the temperature gauge running near the bottom of the normal range. For me, I suspect my thermostat opens prematurely, either from age or possibly the installation of a colder thermostat by the previous owner. I know the check engine light will come on for a "coolant temperature too low" condition and I suspect that is the case with my car, but I have been too lazy to hook up my code reader.

Do you know the temperature rating of the thermostat in your car? If you have an LSC, does your coolant temperature run low when fully warmed up? Does this flickering light happen more during cold weather than during warm weather?
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:09 pm

K MANIAC, I have an '89 LSC with 182K on the OD and I've run a 180 F thermostat and a 7 lb cap for years. The temp needle usually runs at the bottom of normal and I have no pinging issues with the ignition timing at 14 degrees on 87 octane fuel. The CEL does not come on and when codes are pulled it will say coolant temp not reached. Other than that it has plenty of power and most recently averaged 26 mph on a round trip from Atlanta, GA to Aiken, SC, around 300 miles. So it should be OK. Anyone else want to chime in on that?

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby DarrylGarcia775 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:47 am

I did change the thermostat when I did the pump. I'm unsure of the temp on it tho. But my car does the same when warmed up. My needle is usually around the N when I drive it around. The light just seems to kick on and off in the cold or hot. Thanks.
DarrylGarcia775

Postby K MANIAC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 am

Darryl, the best way to get to the bottom of this is to use an OBD1 code reader to read the codes. I have one of these and have become of late quite good to using it. If you lived anywhere near Concord, California I would be happy to invite you over and pull the codes myself.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Yup. An OBD1 code reader pays for itself after the first use.

I'm glad that K mentioned temperature and coolant level and the Original Poster mentioned a 7 pound cap and the fair state of Georgia.

The short answer ~may~ be to ensure a 60/40 mix of original green (ethylene glycol) coolant and distilled water. I understand that 50 degrees outside in Georgia is near cause to close the schools but <G> the proper mix of coolant to water is still needed. Definitely install a 12 pound cap.

Based on what you typed, you ~may~ be pushing too much thinned coolant out of your system and into your expansion tank. This can cause a low fluid condition which can cause high and low swings in coolant temperature which can cause a Check Engine Light.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic