Replacing unworking radio with old Sanyo EDC8000V

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Replacing unworking radio with old Sanyo EDC8000V

Postby NewtownLSC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi,
I have owned my low mile (28+ kmiles) 1988 LSC for one year now. The radio does not work. Tape player had tiny sound and a severe balance issue. Even if the radio would work, I have no use for it, because it is US spec unit and has only odd number chanels and here Finland most stations have frequency like 92,6 Mhz.

For easy assembly and to keeping the original amplifier I have ordered, but not yet received, Scosche C4FDK5 adapter. Modern radios are not expensive, but they do not look like they would belong in 80's car. Luckily I have an old and functioning (maybe 1990-92 ?) Sanyo ECD 8000V Radio/CD player which have just the right black 80's look. It has text in front: "BUILT-IN HIGH POWER AMPLIFIER 25W+25W". Does this make it not compatible to original system even with adapter?

Do anyone know if there was an Euro spec radio available to 1988 LCS?
Last edited by NewtownLSC on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewtownLSC
NewtownLSC

Re: Replacing unworking radio with old Sanyo EDC8000V

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:22 pm

If your car is equipped with the JBL amp, pushing 25W into it would not be a good idea, you would need a amp bypass adapter to bypass the amp and use the radios amp to power the speakers. I take it the adapter that you are getting is to convert the radios speaker outs to the JBL connector in your car... correct?
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:49 pm

I agree, most aftermarket radios will have more power than the existing amp is made to handle. I don't know what a bypass adapter would be like, but that's probably the key device needed to install an aftermarket unit well.

Have you looked at older Nakamichi radios, they had some nice looking units from the era when plain and black with one display color was popular. They had high quality CD and cassette players, though they would cost more than a new deck. Oh well, never mind, I forgot the price issue.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby NewtownLSC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for your replies.

The Sanyo unit is easier to use than modern Radios. It has own button to every function and it looks like part in 80's car. But you got me interested in Nakamichi radios. I'll prefer old good quality stuff before new cheap made ones. Can you recommend some modells?

I'm afraid there is not those plenty here in Finland, but it's worth checking.
NewtownLSC
NewtownLSC

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 pm

I don't know of the model numbers of the older Nakamichi decks, but I've seen them when browsing eBay for other car stereo items.

Here's a link to a used Nakamichi MB-75, which I see is a 6 CD receiver deck. It's not a mint example, but average condition. The overall look is what I meant though, it's subtle and all black, single DIN, and would look good in most older cars.

Do note that most eBay items from here will be made for the US market, so be sure to check about it having the even numbered stations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-MB-75 ... SwmLlX8oqB
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby NewtownLSC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Hmmm... All options are still open. I begin to search RetroSound and found this:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/page ... -fit-radio

It looks just right and is right size too. Have RDS, EU frequencies, all modern features, no CD (good because there is no place for CD's in cabin) and right background colour. Only minus is that it won't fit with original amp and I have to rewire speakers (disassemble interior partly).

I do not know if my original amp is working at all. Playing tape I had only tiny sound even when the volume was in full power.

Do anyone have experiencies of this RetroSound Newport?
NewtownLSC
NewtownLSC

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Your 1988 Mark VII has a single DIN radio, so the 1.5 DIN won't fit. The factory radio and amplifier can be rebuilt, we have a good support from a gentleman who has repaired many of these OEM units, including the message center, over head compass, AC controller, and the OEM CD changer.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:15 pm

NewtownLSC wrote:I do not know if my original amp is working at all. Playing tape I had only tiny sound even when the volume was in full power.

If you have the "toggle" volume head unit, there are many known issues with that model. It is more than likely the radio than the amp. Have you checked the fuse on the amp itself? If it is blown, try installing another fuse, if it blows again, then the amp is at fault. As mentioned above, they both can be repaired better than they were from the factory. A working JBL system sounds real nice and has adequate volume for most people, unless you are someone who likes to rattle the windows of buildings as you pass :shock: :lol:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby NewtownLSC » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I would like to have the original system very much, but the radio is hopping stations like 92.1 - 92.3 - 92.5 - 92.7 etc. We have here most stations with even number like 92.6. That can not be listened even with functioning unit. I asked local radio repair professional and answer was that this radio can't be converted to EU spec frequencies. He has seen and repaired this kind Ford units so I belive him.

My car is 88 model and the radio is down near climate control panel. It has toggle volume (not knob). It seems to be bigger than DIN 1 unit. I have not taken it off so I do not really know. Amplifier is black with cooling underside. Rear speakers have text: Ford JBL Audio System.

The Retrosound Newport is advertised sometimes to fit late 80's Fords but somewhere not (Summit). So it's hard to know really beforehand. That could be costly mistake. Thanks for warning.
NewtownLSC
NewtownLSC

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:55 pm

With that European spec need, you should buy whatever deck you have to, and you can make it work in the car. The OEM system is just a large number of wires running from the stock radio/dash, to the amp under the parcel shelf.

Most likely the easiest way will be to run new RCA(or speaker) wires back to the amp location, and not use the OEM wires except for the main deck wires, and the existing speaker wires where they leave the amp connector. If you can get the aftermarket amp bypass, I think that is made to plug into the factory amp connector. If it does then you may not have to cut any wires, just like the wiring adapter you make for an aftermarket deck which plugs into stock connectors, it may work the same for the amp connector. I've never seen one of those amp bypass harnesses for the Mark VII, so hunt that soon so you can begin.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:14 pm

CDW6212R wrote:I've never seen one of those amp bypass harnesses for the Mark VII, so hunt that soon so you can begin.

I have one that I pulled from a Mark VII, it takes the input side and output side of the amp connectors and connects them together thus eliminating the amp altogether. No splicing of wires is needed. It works for any Ford product using the big JBL or premium sound amp. If I can find it I will post a picture of it. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:59 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:
CDW6212R wrote:I've never seen one of those amp bypass harnesses for the Mark VII, so hunt that soon so you can begin.

I have one that I pulled from a Mark VII, it takes the input side and output side of the amp connectors and connects them together thus eliminating the amp altogether. No splicing of wires is needed. It works for any Ford product using the big JBL or premium sound amp. If I can find it I will post a picture of it. 8-)

Cool Bruce, with that harness anyone could build an adapter to keep the stock wiring intact, and route their stereo properly. The OP could run RCA cables to the trunk, to a normal low level input amp(better quality(lower distortion)), and then route the speaker outputs from the amp, to the stock speaker wires at the connector of the OEM amp.

Stock speaker wires aren't the weakest links, most distortion comes from the main HU, and then from the amplifier, and the speakers in most cases. These stock JBL systems we have use excellent speakers, and the amp is pretty good compared to most OEM or cheap amps.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby NewtownLSC » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:38 pm

My plan has changed after I bought NOS Alpine 3DE-7887R from local Auto HiFi saler. He has had it unsold since 90's and it cost only 1/9 of original price. Good deal and it looks period correct too. It has build in amplifier (4x40 W) so amp bypass harness would be just right for me. Please can you send photos or instruction how to make mine.
NewtownLSC
NewtownLSC

Return to Electronic