Amplifier missing

Discussion of STOCK TripMinder®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Amplifier missing

Postby knightrider » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Hello,

I have got around to replacing the semi-working old Sony HU (radio works, CD player is broken mechanically) that came with the car and there is a puzzle. The piece does not seem to have an amplifier of its' own, so I thought it was relying on the stock Premium amplifier. Then I had a big surprise when I found the amplifier missing, there is nothing in its' place. Also there is an Ericsson (phone) plug going right up to the location where it was supposed to be. So I started looking for the amp elsewhere, but to no avail. I have taken apart half of the interior searching for it and before I take apart the rest of the car I thought I would ask you lot your opinion. Where could this amplifier be (original or not, no matter)? Could it be that the cars with factory phone had their amplifiers placed in a different location, the phone module occupying its' usual place?

Thank you.
1990 Mark VII LSC
knightrider
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Amplifier missing

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

All of the cars had an amplifier, it would be located under the parcel shelf, between the rear speakers. If it's gone, there should be two wiring connectors still there, with easily 20+ wires total. See if there is an adapter harness there plugged into the OEM wiring. You can still buy the stock amps used, they came in a lot of different Ford models.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Amplifier missing (found)

Postby knightrider » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Unfortunately I could get no additional clues in the trunk, so I switched my attention to the cabin. I did what I should had done, but initially was reluctant to - following the Amp Out labeled cable from the stereo plug. It went deep into the dash, so this is why I was not really looking forward to doing it. However, in the end everything turned out to be simpler than I thought. I removed the glovebox lid and then in a couple of seconds I had a glimpse of the cooling fins – I found the amp! This small Sony amplifier was nested in the top left corner of the passenger footwell and I could get it out just by removing the black plastic bottom cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Mark VII LSC
knightrider
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Geez what a mess. If you are wanting to go back to the OEM JBL, I would remove all that they installed and start from scratch. If they cut the audio cable running to the back, the best way is to find another in a yard, along with the amp and cut the plugs for the amp and radio power, needed to put your car back to stock. Other than that, just try and use what they installed..... either way it's going to take some work....
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Re: Amplifier missing (found)

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:13 pm

knightrider wrote:Unfortunately I could get no additional clues in the trunk, so I switched my attention to the cabin. I did what I should had done, but initially was reluctant to - following the Amp Out labeled cable from the stereo plug. It went deep into the dash, so this is why I was not really looking forward to doing it. However, in the end everything turned out to be simpler than I thought. I removed the glovebox lid and then in a couple of seconds I had a glimpse of the cooling fins – I found the amp! This small Sony amplifier was nested in the top left corner of the passenger footwell and I could get it out just by removing the black plastic bottom cover.

Cute Sony amp, it was probably used after the OEM amp quit on them.

BTW, that large white wiring connector in the truck is not factory. That's what I would begin removing first, it could be the bypass wiring, I don't see any other wiring ends showing.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby knightrider » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:18 pm

Guys, thank you for your suggestions. If I was in the US I would have gone back to stock, but being here it is more complicated. I will use a NOS Sony CD unit very similar to the one which came with the car, from the same year as the one installed now and the amplifier above (1990-91). The amplifier is ok, 4 x 35W @ 4 Ohms. So even if the system is not stock, at least it is 100% period correct and the looks of the head unit match perfectly the interior style.

It looks something like this Image

Seems like the previous owner swapped radio cassette, which was installed at the factory, for Sony CD player + amplifier combo, as soon as he got the car.

The big white connector is the one I mentioned marked with "Ericsson", it's for the car phone. The phone hardware was installed in place or near that of the factory amplifier.
1990 Mark VII LSC
knightrider
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Gotcha, and do you have radio stations that are even frequencies too? We've had only odd numbered for ages, and radios in the US long ago stopped having even steps.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby knightrider » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:54 am

CDW6212R wrote:Gotcha, and do you have radio stations that are even frequencies too? We've had only odd numbered for ages, and radios in the US long ago stopped having even steps.

Interesting, never thought about it. I am not sure about Europe, but in Spain they use both even and odd frequencies. Hard to say exactly, but probably 50/50. The two stations I normally listen use odd frequencies, so this has never been an issue. After reading your question I had a look at local american car forum and I see that people with OEM radios do have a problem with even numbered frequencies. Learn something new every day.
1990 Mark VII LSC
knightrider
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:51 am

Yes, we never think of it either until an outside radio or someone mentions it. We have another member that from last week or so, asked about replacing his HU, and he's in Europe also.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic