Weird JBL amp out then amp on.

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Weird JBL amp out then amp on.

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:43 pm

I had this issue before installing a new head unit, now a Pioneer DEH-2400UB. The previous unit was a Pioneer DEH-2400. My '89 LSC with the JBL amp has a habit of the radio/CD not working intermittently. After the car sat for a week I turned on the radio and after a half second of light static the sound went dead and the radio was still "on". The sound comes back after disconnecting the battery or fuse and will work fine for several days until the same thing happens. Usually I can turn the radio off and immediately back on and the sound works again. The sound will also go out when the volume is very loud. It did the same thing with the old head unit, only now at a higher volume. It seems like the amp but I thought they failed more catastrophically, like a loud pop or smoke.

Anyone have any ideas?
Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Weird JBL amp out then amp on.

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

I think it's time for you to have that amp rebuilt Bob. I'd let Paul work on it and make sure it doesn't burn up with more expense than doing it now.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Weird JBL amp out then amp on.

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks, Don. I'll have to bypass it in the meantime!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic