Cruise control danger?

Discussion of STOCK TripMinder®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Cruise control danger?

Postby zmjohnson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm

The other day I was driving home with cruise on, going about 60 mph. My cruise control disengages by itself. I press the "OFF" button and return home. Couple weeks before hand I started having phantom electrical surges to my instrument cluster that seems to be linked to my brake booster engaging. For instance, I come to a stop and my speedo will read 50 mph. Now the scary part...sometimes when coming to a stop, my car accelerates! I just finished reading a cruise control post by Phoenix that described this "theoretical" situation. I have a really good electrical guy in town, but I have no clue where to have him start. Any wisdom is much appreciated. I feel like the brake booster has a part in this, but I'm by no means a guru when it comes to troubleshooting. Thanks for your time guys.
1990 LSC
zmjohnson

Re: Cruise control danger?

Postby zmjohnson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh...almost forgot. 90' LSC with 80K miles
1990 LSC
zmjohnson

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 pm

I know that this will seem far fetched, but I would start with the alternator and voltage regulator. Test for spikes and drops while driving. Even the Plug-N-Play variety can display over and under charging conditions.

I would eliminate these possibilities first.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby zmjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:02 am

I will try that. Voltage regulator is about 2 years old, but of lower quality. I went to the electrical guy and we disconnected power to my servo. I'm still having the issue. Would a bad dash ground have any impact on this issue?
1990 LSC
zmjohnson

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Yup.
See, http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/ph ... =14&t=9017

I would clean clean clean every ground you find.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:20 pm

I agree on checking the basic wiring, power and ground wires, fusible links etc. After nothing easy turns up, then I'd check into the BOO wiring, the actual brake sensor behind the brake pedal, and its wiring/circuit. That's the main item that shuts down the CC, besides the actual steering wheel button.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby zmjohnson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm happy to report that the new voltage regulator has solved my issues. The car even sounds better when starting. $18 part from Napa is way cheaper than any hourly shop rates around here. You've saved this family guy a lot of money, thank you. Now to learn about vacuum lines and check valves. See you guys around! Many thanks from my family to you.
1990 LSC
zmjohnson

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 pm

You are welcome.
Thank ~you~ for keeping a Lincoln Mark VII on the road!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic