Gas tank ground.

Discussion of STOCK body shell, doors, exterior trim, frame, underbody, and window systems.

Gas tank ground.

Postby Brad4d » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:56 pm

My gas gauge isn't working, and it's been suggested to ground it out, before checking the sending unit itself. I'd figure the straps would ground it, I guess they're probably insulated. Today I tried with a small wire, and 2 pairs of vise grips, just to test(hoping it'd be easy & obvious). It was only a 22 gauge single strand, like telephone wire. Would that be too small to work? It could be that the surfaces at the tank seam and body seam I used weren't conducting enough too. I didn't think it would need very much of a ground at all, but am I wrong? Is it enough current going in, to require a larger wire for the ground? Is it worth drilling & using a terminal to try? I was pretty sur I had bare metal on the tank and body, but the wire was just held against those spots with the vise grips. What are your thoughts?? (A broken clock is right twice a day, I really hope the mark it stays at, isn't where the fuel level actually is right now!!lol)
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Re: Gas tank ground.

Postby K MANIAC » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 am

The fuel sender unit does not ground through the gas tank. It grounds through the orange with light blue stripe wire that runs from the sender unit back to the instrument cluster. The cluster then grounds through a common grounding wire to ground #104, which is located behind the instrument panel to the left hand side of the steering column. The EVTM is helpful for diagnosing electrical issues.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

I've had a couple of people tell me that they grounded out their tanks to get the gauge working again. There instructions were to just use a wire between the tank and a good place on the body. They had stated that the wire can break off where it comes out of the tank, and that rather than dropping the tank, or cutting a hole in the floor, they did this. Electrical Vacuum Technical Manual...had to look that up. LOL I'm a big fan of manuals and doing it right. I'm a bigger fan of simple fixes. Were earlier cars done without such a long grounding path? It seems weird others have had this work.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Most circuits use the body as half of the electrical path. But there has to be a great connection from the circuit, to the body, and at the other end, to the battery. So there are more than one possible connections to fail and stop the circuit from working. You have to figure out where the break is in the ground path. So the pump assembly has wiring coming out and includes a ground wire, which connects to the body. That's one of the best places to check, but it's not the only place to look.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 pm

If I can fix the problem without dropping the tank or cutting a hole in the trunk floor, It'd make me happy. I guess I'll just check the end of the ground line at the instrument cluster(orange w light blue), to see if its grounded. If it is, that's not my problem. I just thought someone might know about the whole "grounding of tank to body, to make the gauge work" idea. I'll try & find out on the site where I was told to try it too, I guess. Supposedly the ground wire breaking circuit at the tank itself is a common thing.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 am

Thanks for adding the YEAR of your Lincoln Mark VII in your signature.

What has been stated above is all good advice (gotta love posts by people with hands on experience).

1984s - 1987s chronically loose the use of the fuel tank level due to the fuel tank ground.

1988s - 1989s haven't shown any difference in re-grounding the tank.

1990s and 1991s have been proven time and time again that the ORANGE WIRE GROUND fix (discussed 128 times at LincolnsOnline.com) takes care of a LOT of gremlins. I'm at a loss with a 1992. I'd be interested with what you find when you,
test
replace
test
enjoy!

Keep us in the loop!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Body