It's still got it.

race tracks, track times, tuning, dynos

It's still got it.

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Finally got the car out to the track for the first time this year. I thought I was ready last week, but I took out a head gasket on a late night test session. I think we had a little too much timing for the boost. So, too many hours of teardown and another set of expensive graphite head gaskets rewarded me with an 11.42 @ 116. Now if I can just get over the fear of taking the head gaskets out of it again (or worse) I have one more, smaller blower pulley that the FedEx man just brought. Will 3 more pounds of boost put me in the 10's? What's gonna break? Stay tuned.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Re: It's still got it.

Postby eightlives » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:14 pm

very cool :D
eightlives

Postby gadget73 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Any chance of moving to a 351 based engine? The blocks are a lot more substantial and they don't squirm under load, which is why the 302 blows head gaskets when you push them really hard.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby pkv88mkvii » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 pm

gadget73 wrote:Any chance of moving to a 351 based engine? The blocks are a lot more substantial and they don't squirm under load, which is why the 302 blows head gaskets when you push them really hard.

Had I known a couple of years ago that I was going to get this carried away I absolutely would have built a 351 based motor, on an aftermarket block. That will be the next one - a 400+ cuber. When I was playing around with 4# of boost from a non-intercooled Paxton I wasn't too worried. Now with the intercooled ProCharger at 11# (soon to be 14) we are right about at the magical 600 hp mark where the stock 5.0 block is supposed to split in half. That's the only Ford part of the motor. I'm running a 750 hp forged stoker rotating assy. and a main girdle along with head studs. Many people consider the ease that a 5.0 spits head gaskets a form of safety valve. They will usually do that from detonation before putting a hole in the piston.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Racing