Seat weight

race tracks, track times, tuning, dynos

Seat weight

Postby pkv88mkvii » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:00 pm

What does a Blass leather front seat weigh?
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
User avatar
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 pm
Location: Rochester, N.Y.

Re: Seat weight

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 pm

I don't know, but I could tell you tomorrow about an LSC seat. I have three in my garage now, two easy to weigh. They feel like a good 40+ pounds, I've moved them around a lot this year.

Are you looking for something lighter? Most Ford car seats may swap, the seat track is separate, and heavy.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: Seat weight

Postby The_Jed » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:58 pm

The front seats with the rails from my LSC weighed 65lbs each.
Last edited by The_Jed on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The_Jed
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: Seat weight

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 am

The_Jed wrote:The front seats, with the rails, from my LSC weighed 65lbs each.

So that was an actual scaled weight? I know they're heavy. I believe my big leather Blass seats might even be a good bit heavier than those. As for the other question. I'm looking for lighter alright. I'm putting in a set of Kirkey aluminums with the nice covers. I'm trying not to kill the look of the car, but it's time to lose a little weight. Besides the 5 pt. harnesses aren't as safe as they could be when routed through the correct seat. Also it's a pain in the ass to get my swing out door bar closed. I had to design it so the door panel pushes it into the seat for everything to work and look good.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
User avatar
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 pm
Location: Rochester, N.Y.

Re: Seat weight

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm

I asked about weight because the Mark VII has a very heavy safety "bar" mounted under the steering column. If you need to drop weight, I'd look at and consider removing/replacing that part I'm talking about.

It weighs about 30lbs IIRC, I think it's made of cast iron, or it could be just a forged steel part. My friend and I remarked on it when we parted out my first LSC. I don't recall which trim parts have to come off to remove it, but I think you can replace it with something much lighter.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: Seat weight

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Ive been under that dash a buncha times but ill take a closer look
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
User avatar
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 pm
Location: Rochester, N.Y.

Re: Seat weight

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

It's round in profile, big enough that putting your hand around it may be hard. I'd guess that it's unique to the Mark VII, hopefully the Thunderbird has a lighter part that they use.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: Seat weight

Postby The_Jed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 pm

pkv88mkvii wrote:
The_Jed wrote:The front seats, with the rails, from my LSC weighed 65lbs each.

So that was an actual scaled weight? I know they're heavy. I believe my big leather Blass seats might even be a good bit heavier than those. As for the other question. I'm looking for lighter alright. I'm putting in a set of Kirkey aluminums with the nice covers. I'm trying not to kill the look of the car, but it's time to lose a little weight. Besides the 5 pt. harnesses aren't as safe as they could be when routed through the correct seat. Also it's a pain in the ass to get my swing out door bar closed. I had to design it so the door panel pushes it into the seat for everything to work and look good.


Yep. I weighed them when I swapped them out with SN95 seats.
User avatar
The_Jed
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: Seat weight

Postby tomnh » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:08 am

pkv88mkvii wrote:
The_Jed wrote:The front seats, with the rails, from my LSC weighed 65lbs each.

So that was an actual scaled weight? I know they're heavy. I believe my big leather Blass seats might even be a good bit heavier than those. As for the other question. I'm looking for lighter alright. I'm putting in a set of Kirkey aluminums with the nice covers. I'm trying not to kill the look of the car, but it's time to lose a little weight. Besides the 5 pt. harnesses aren't as safe as they could be when routed through the correct seat. Also it's a pain in the ass to get my swing out door bar closed. I had to design it so the door panel pushes it into the seat for everything to work and look good.


When you pull out the seat, I would be interested in the seat mechanism as mine is toast in the vert. :shock:
tomnh
Image

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
User avatar
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:55 pm
Location: Rochester, New Hampshire

Re: Seat weight

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:56 pm

CDW6212R wrote:I asked about weight because the Mark VII has a very heavy safety "bar" mounted under the steering column. If you need to drop weight, I'd look at and consider removing/replacing that part I'm talking about.

It weighs about 30lbs IIRC, I think it's made of cast iron, or it could be just a forged steel part. My friend and I remarked on it when we parted out my first LSC. I don't recall which trim parts have to come off to remove it, but I think you can replace it with something much lighter.

1991
pkv88mkvii wrote:Ive been under that dash a buncha times but ill take a closer look

1988

You two should have different configurations down there. The 1990 - 1992 has a driver side knee wall built like a safe.
User avatar
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 8648
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: Primos, Pennsylvania USA

Re: Seat weight

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

That makes sense, there are a bunch of things different in the 90-92's. Most of it is in the dash.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5420
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN


Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron