LED Headlight Bulbs

Discussion of NON STOCK, NON OEM swaps, upgrades, lowering, modifications, modifying, customizing, anything Lincoln Mark VII.

LED Headlight Bulbs

Postby ricardocordoba » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

Hello, everyone I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm taking a risk trying some LED Bulbs. The bulbs I'm trying are in the following link:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 3910/8027/

and the resistor kit here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ry_of=3910

I'm a bit nervous in hopes that it won't do any damage however, so far the lights work without any error messages. I will warn you that the heat sinks and the resistors do get hot so mount them away from anything you don't want melted. I'll see how these work out long term but, the reason why I'm trying them is to update the lighting on this car to later standards and in hopes to reduce the temperature inside the headlight housings. I have a set of NOS housings for "Cosmo" but, I am going to test these lights to see how they hold up over time before I install the NOS housings. I'll update this thread in the future at some point.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Re: LED Headlight Bulbs

Postby Brad4d » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Very cool upgrade. Great to have an extra set of lights to try them with, in case it goes bad. Not cheap, but probably the last time you'll have to replace them. I'll be looking forward to an update. How does the light compare, and is there a chance they're too bright? I love a clean windshield, & a good set of lights, that's for sure.But, I'll never forget what an old biker told me about driving with high beams on. "You don't want the last thing you see, to be a driver coming right at you with his hand over his eyes". lol
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby ricardocordoba » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am

These lights will probably last a while I hope. I don't believe they are too bright but, then again the headlight housings on the car now are slightly foggy on the inside of the housing from wear and tear. I will see how these work with the current setup and then see how they are with the new (NOS) headlight assemblies. These bulbs are brighter than the factory ones but, I don't believe they are any worse than any newer car with LED headlights.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 am

Ricardo,
Very cool post.
The Club and it's Members truly appreciate the hands on post instead of hearsay.

Post up manufactures and part numbers to help out The Lincoln Community!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am

Oldschool,

Hello. In the first post, the links to everything should be there. My goal was increase light output without going too many lumen (brightness) that would cause issues. Just another note, these bulbs/resistors are pretty much plug and play. Again, I'll have to report back on how these do over a period of time. Probably will be more toward the end of the year due to the road salt and chemicals here currently. That means that Cosmo is still in storage.
Last edited by ricardocordoba on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 am

Whoops. I didn't click through so I missed the part numbers and other nomenclature.

One of my concerns is how weather makes these products react. What's good for a southern Texas car may not be good for a NOVA SCOTIA car. When you get a chance, update your User Profile to include your location. I'm in Primos, PA. I cannot use less than 60/40 engine coolant to water in my cars because we can get as low as -10°F with a wind chill below -20°F.

I'd like to see your lights at or below freezing or after a three day heat wave.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

ricardocordoba wrote:Oldschool,

Hello. In the first post, the links to everything should be there. My goal was increase light output without going too many lumen (brightness) that would cause issues. Just another note, these bulbs/resistors are pretty much plug and play. Again, I'll have to report back on how these do over a period of time. Probably will be more toward the end of the year due to the road salt and chemicals here currently.

That sounds great, that's how I would change any lights, without aggravating oncoming drivers.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:04 pm

oldschool1 wrote:...

I cannot use less than 60/40 engine coolant to water in my cars because we can get as low as -10°F with a wind chill below -20°F.

FYI, the coolant additives available increase heat transfer, and also improve resistance to freezing or overheating. It is not measurable with normal testers, so that's subject to belief. I have used Water Weter several times in the last ten years, with about 1/3 anti-freeze, which works great here. We see single digits every year, and very rarely below zero. I think the tested figure I've seen for my cars is about zero, 10 at most. I"m fairly certain my coolant won't freeze unless we hit -20 or less. I think the additive is part of that. I've begun buying the Amsoil coolant additive, which should be better as I trust them more, to make sure it is.

Anti-freeze is very expensive, now it's $15-$20 a gallon. Before the "accident" at some manufacturing facility about ten years back, it only cost $7-10. Now they make it with water in it, and those cost way more for the anti-freeze per gallon. I think that was an industry plan to raise the prices. Amsoil has 3/4 versions now, they had only one. They run $20 a gallon minimum, maybe $30 for the odd application stuff. I'm leaning to try theirs, I have read of issues from certain chemicals, plus the radiator/head materials etc. It's more important than it used to be.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am

I will try to provide a better report later in the year oldschool. Right now the car is put away for the winter and won't be driven. I'm here in the Midwest in Indiana. I did install these bulbs during the fall right before storage and have started the car several times in which these lights come on without any error messages thus far. I figure I would pass the information on these along to anyone else whom might be interested.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Modifying