B&M Hammer Throw AOD Shifter

Discussion of NON STOCK, NON OEM swaps, upgrades, lowering, modifications, modifying, customizing, anything Lincoln Mark VII.

B&M Hammer Throw AOD Shifter

Postby 1988MK7LSC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Can this shifter be installed ? If not are there any that work with The Mark VII?
Thank you to all who can Help.
1988MK7LSC

Re: B&M Hammer Throw AOD Shifter

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:10 pm

I have one on the shop floor waiting for me to have a day to work on it. That day is rapidly approaching, so stay tuned to the "Matthew's LSC" build thread in modifying for the results.

-Matthew
Matthew

Postby Brad4d » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 pm

I asked the same question & got few answers a short while ago. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12881 I wasn't very clear about this part of my question though. I can't wait to see your progress on yours Matthew. PS: What do you think about my other question there, do shift-kits(or upgraded valve bodies) help a transmission live longer?
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 am

With a modified car a shift kit or valve body upgrade typically will extend the life of the transmission compared to running upgraded power with no transmission modifications. They typically increase pressures which can prevent clutch and band slippage that lead to early failure. Increasing the power in front of the transmission can result in a shorter life for the transmission though. One of the weak links in the AOD is the secondary (inner) input shaft which is used during lockup operation and is known to break. This can be replaced with a hardened shaft.

-Matthew
Matthew

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

Good valve body kits will help any automatic, but there have been some poor VB kits from lesser brands. I prefer TransGo the most because they're the oldest, the inventor of the shift kit too.

TransGo makes two kits for the AOD, one a full on shift kit, and the other a correction kit, they call SysKo model. I suggest the cheaper Sysko version for all AOD's, other than the real HD kit for raised power and more thorough shift characteristics. I love the HD kit, but note it's not for the average amateur installer. That one requires drilling two holes in the VB itself, to install a provided tube which transfers fluid from one side of the VB to the other. It's just a more intricate install. But the all around driveability is vastly improved with that kit, compared to stock or any other brand VB kits.

I've installed about 8 of the Sysko kits, and two of the HD kits, most many many years ago. The Sysko kits used to be about $27, now it's closer to $50 I think. I'd put that in any AOD, any, stock Lincoln to F150 etc. It's not harsh at all, and only mildly firmer than stock. It's not hard shifting at all, and doesn't give you the option to make shifts hard really.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 pm

1988MK7LSC & Mathew, I was chatting with someone about the B&M they installed in their Mark VII, and they mentioned this part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-Auto-61801 ... yc&vxp=mtr The lever adapter is because the stock one won't accept the B&M shift cable. Same guy also suggested the heavy duty cable (or heat wrapping cable) because of routing near the exhaust. It may be useless info though, as he was installing a Maga Shifter, not their Hammer version. The mega comes with a bunch of extras, but the Hammer is sold as a unit that is supposed to be a direct fit, no modifications to the trans. I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I thought I'd pass it along. Thanks for the input on shift kits Matthew & Don.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

I appreciate your efforts to source any parts about the shifter for the Mark VII. I might not be able to use any of it, but I'll soon need to find out how tough it is to install a 4R70W into mine. I've got an SN95 Mustang stock shifter, thinking I'll adapt it since it's made for the 4R trans, the long cable etc.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 1988MK7LSC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm

SO iN SHORT IS THIS A DIRECT INSTALL?
1988MK7LSC

Postby Matthew » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Brad4d wrote:1988MK7LSC & Mathew, I was chatting with someone about the B&M they installed in their Mark VII, and they mentioned this part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-Auto-61801 ... yc&vxp=mtr The lever adapter is because the stock one won't accept the B&M shift cable.

I think the part you need is this: http://www.bmracing.com/products/40496- ... smissions/

That AOD install kit replaces the stock shift linkage on the transmission with one that is both physically compatible with the B&M cable, and the correct length for the linkage movement at the B&M shifter. I am pretty sure that the factory arm is too long, even if you could attach the B&M cable to it.

-Matthew
Matthew

Postby Brad4d » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Cool Matthew! I'd hate to get it all apart & find its the wrong adapter! The one I posted was TCI, and I'd rather keep the brands the same. It might be cheaper, but that rarely works out...especially when it doesn't fit! :lol:
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Return to Modifying