Heater Core replacement

Discussion of STOCK air conditioning, consoles, defoggers, defrosters, door trims, heating, HVAC, safety air bags, seats, windows and systems.

Heater Core replacement

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

...Well, I smell coolant and it's leaking from underneath the car, so I guess it's time to do the deed - the dreaded heater core replacement. I have the excellent article from Lincolns Online but it also says,"...remove old heater core and install new one. If you did this it is recommended to replace the A/C unit while you have the heater box out of the car." Is the author referring to the accumulator/drier unit which sits in front of the firewall or is there another unit right inside by the heater core that should be replaced? I'm not an expert on air conditioning.

Thanks a million for any and all assistance gents, and any other advice or articles that might help me. And are there any decent descriptions/instructions in the various Lincoln Mark VII shop manuals out there? I think I'm going to take the author's advice and remove the passenger seat...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Heater Core replacement

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 am

I gotta tell you guys, I've built a lot of hot rods and rebuilt a lot of engines, but doing a heater core on a Mark 7 is just about the toughest thing I have ever done. I've got everything apart except the dash, which is ready to come out tomorrow. You need a program to keep all the parts players straight in this job...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 2manymarks » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am

YVRHotRodLincoln wrote:I gotta tell you guys, I've built a lot of hot rods and rebuilt a lot of engines, but doing a heater core on a Mark 7 is just about the toughest thing I have ever done. I've got everything apart except the dash, which is ready to come out tomorrow. You need a program to keep all the parts players straight in this job...

Can we have an "Amen" here...... 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:16 pm

...dash is out...wow...now getting the heater box etc. out to get at the core..unbelievable... :twisted:
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:04 pm

..heater box out, heater core out....LOOKS GOOD!! It's an aluminum replacement part and doesn't look like it's been leaking!! What to do now?? New core is going in but I can't figure it out as I had all the classic symptoms of a bad heater core - slow steady coolant loss, coolant smell inside the pass. compartment, and foggy windshield...anybody got any ideas 'cause I'm baffled...!!
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:42 pm

...all done!! Nastiest job in the entire world I can tell you. I wouldn't wish a Mark 7 heater core job on my worst enemy...be sure to mark your parts/bolts/screws etc. and save as many nuts/bolts/screws as you can in the holes they came out of...and remember your dis-assembly and re-assembly order. The two hardest parts were getting the dash back up into place and removing and replacing the seats (god are they heavy - and awkward...). When the seats were out I cleaned and vacuumed 30 years of crud, dead bugs, coins and other crap from the carpeting. Made about 3 bucks though! Lubed everything and put it all back in...fun, fun, fun...!

I also installed a tranny cooler and an aftermarket steering wheel during re-assembly. I'll post some pics...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Postby jcdrhunt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 pm

New questions on this topic... 1984 Mark VII, AC suystem has been partially removed. The Accumalator is there but not hooked up, Condensor is too but also left open, Compressor is there but not hooked up. Lines seemed to have been melted to the manifold.
So.. can I replace the Accumalator, condensor, and compressor (plus new lines) and not have to replace the heater core? can it just be flushed?
jcdrhunt

Postby 2manymarks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am

jcdrhunt wrote:New questions on this topic... 1984 Mark VII, AC suystem has been partially removed. The Accumalator is there but not hooked up, Condensor is too but also left open, Compressor is there but not hooked up. Lines seemed to have been melted to the manifold.
So.. can I replace the Accumalator, condensor, and compressor (plus new lines) and not have to replace the heater core? can it just be flushed?

:? I am not clear on your problem. IIRC, The heater core is only used for heat exchange between the water coolant system and the air distribution ductwork. It is not directly involved with the AC and it's operation. 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm

jcdrhunt wrote:New questions on this topic... 1984 Mark VII, AC suystem has been partially removed. The Accumalator is there but not hooked up, Condensor is too but also left open, Compressor is there but not hooked up. Lines seemed to have been melted to the manifold.

Yup.
Any year Lincoln Mark VII can bypass the heater core.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Interiors