New to the site...

Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

New to the site...

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi...I have an '89 Bill Blass and an '86 LSC. New here...hoping to share and learn more here...love my LSCs and wish to restore them to their glory. -Rusty
'89 Bill BLASS

Re: New to the site...

Postby K MANIAC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Rusty - Welcome from the "Left Coast", which is part of the Western US. I see you have more than one. Fancy that.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Welcome Rusty, from beautiful Sonoma County CA. (the other wine country). You have come to the right place to learn all you want to know about the unique cars that we own... 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome from sunny downtown Primos, PA here on the Right Coast!

I like pre 1988 Lincoln Mark VIIs. They're unique.

What have you done to the car so far?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: New to the site...follow up post;

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks fellow LSCers and Mark VII folks. My '89 Bill Blass has been nicknamed the "BLASSt from the Past", and my black '86 LSC was dubbed "Negrito" by some friends visiting from Panama. I have sold my rare '84 Mark VII LSC Turbo Diesel to a winter visitor guy from Canada who saw it and just HAD to have it. He had it transported by truck to New Brunswick earlier this year. I parted out my '91 LSC for a parts source for my two remaining Mark VIIs. Now I am down to two...the '89 maroon "BLASSt from the Past" needs paint (25 years of Arizona sun has taken its toll) and suspension work. The '86 LSC runs, too, but needs a little body work (no rust, though), suspension repair and repainting. One day, one part, one dollar at a time... LSC Rusty, aka "'89 Bill Blass" Coolidge/Casa Grande, Arizona ;>)
As for ignition switches, I have had the same problem with MANY Fords over the years. The 'ears'/tangs that hold the switch body together are not long enough or strong enough...over time, the switch wears, separates and then stops working in "run", etc. I'm replacing them in both LSCs and have already done so in my '84 F250 Lariat diesel pickup.
Even the aftermarket BWD and Echlin (Napa) replacement switches don't correct this inherent design defect. :-( -Rusty
'89 Bill BLASS

Re: New to the site...more info;

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Also have some awesome vehicles in addition to my two "Lincoln's Sexiest Cars" (LSCs); check these out; 1974 Dodge Charger SE Brougham w/360 Interceptor police engine (Hi-Perf 340 "Purple" Cam and intake manifold EGR delete from the factory!), "Slap Stik" 727 auto trans with a "Stage 2" TransGo shift kit, factory 150 mph speedo. I've owned "Dodgey Do!" for 29 years this coming November. Rare 1966 Ford Econoline (1st generation "Pheedrees" design) SuperVan 8-door "walk-thru" extended body panel van w/ high compression 240 cube "Big Six" & heavy duty 3-on-the-tree manual trans, H.D. 10.5-inch clutch, 3.50 ratio 9" Track Lok posi rear end, all from the factory--one of 44 such vans built in 1966. One rare machine. No rust! Three retired but still operational Greyhound buses; one 1969 40-foot MCI (Motor Coach Industries) MC-7 "Super 7 Scenicruiser", and two 35-foot GM PD4106s, all with 2-stroke 8V-71 Detroit Diesels and stick shift transmissions. Last but not least, a 1973 IH (International Harvester) Scootin' Scout II 4x4; one tough, serious 4x4! Yes, I have a full plate to work with, huh? Fun, fun, fun! ;>) -Rusty
'89 Bill BLASS

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Hiya Old School! I have not done a lot with either LSC yet. So many really OLD cars have been in the shop...too busy to have a bay open for either LSC. a '51 Dodge Coronet flathead 6-popper w/ GyraDrive(Fluid Drive) recently had brake work done. Now we have a '51 Pontiac Straight Eight flaathead also having brake work done. Next is a '39 Buick coming in for electrical work and brakes, too. All are owned by the same customer. We are also restoring a '63 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, a '60 Chevy Apache 20 3/4-ton pickup, a '66 Mustang hardtop, and a '70 Mustang Boss 302 fastback (all ours). So, our work is cut out for us for a while. I'm eager to get the LSCs into the shop and get them roadworthy again. The 1989 "BLASSt from the Past" needs new paint. I think I'll go with the Arctic white paint (acrylic enamel/no clear coat). Much cooler here in the Arizona heat. I'll keep you posted. -LSC Rusty, aka '89 Bill Blass
'89 Bill BLASS

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:28 pm

'89 Bill BLASS wrote: The 1989 "BLASSt from the Past" needs new paint. I think I'll go with the Arctic white paint (acrylic enamel/no clear coat). Much cooler here in the Arizona heat. I'll keep you posted. -LSC Rusty, aka '89 Bill Blass

Meet WhiteOx, Oxford White aka Artic White, non clear coat, original paint 1990 LSC. Just so you have an idea of what it looks like white ;)

Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Hiya WhiteOxLSC. Thanbks for the photo...that's just how I want my "BLASSt from the Past" to look like. I've always liked that color and how it makes the already sharp Mark VII LSC body look. The LSCs are quite the lookers whether standing still or out and about, pounding the pavement at speed. I have nicknamed the LSC "Lincoln's Sexiest Car"...even today the sleek lines of the body don't look 'dated' or out of style. This is rare in a vehicle. Nowadays, so many cars look just like each other, no matter who buils them. Even high dollar "Mercs" (Mercedes-Benz) and Beemers look so much like cheap Kias or Hyundais. That's too bad. So it is. Love my LSCs! -Rusty ;>)
'89 Bill BLASS

Re: New to the site...LSCs and more;

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:29 pm

For those interested, you can interchange SOME Thunderbird and Cougar parts with your LSC sheet metal; (doors and hoods). The rest are unique to the Mark VII body (trunk lids, main body, bumpers,fenders, etc). The hoods from certain 'Bird years and the doors to the later RWD '(rear wheel drive) Birds and the RWD Mercury Cougar are the same (Fox body platform). So, you can source them perhaps more inexpensively from the Pick-a-Part yards or salvage/wrecking yards The Mitchell Parts Interchange Manual can help. I saw one LSC modified with manual crank windows and opening vent windows. The doors and glass came from a RWD Merc Cougar that was ordered that way. The guy's original LSC power windows croaked, and he wanted more reliable manual cranks and opening wing vent windows, so the Cougar doors provided them and a direct fit to his Mark VII LSC. He modified the LSC door panels, which fit the Cougar doors with few changes to the doors. He had to add a hole in each inside door trim panel for the manual window cranks and regulators, that's about it. Everything else bolted right up. -Rusty ;>)
'89 Bill BLASS

Re: New to the site...LSCs and more;

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I am fortunate to live in dry, relatively rust-free desert Arizona. I am frustrated by the Pick-a-Part type yards here, however (Ecology, etc). One week you go in and look at what they have in stock...a week or so later, they've already SCRAPPED what was there just last week or a couple of weeks ago. So, if you happen to find or spot a decent donor parts car, they don't keep any inventory very long. That really sucks! This has happened to me several times. The older yards tend to sit on their inventory longer, a better bet for being able to buy your needed parts on a tight budget or over the long run. That's the gamble in this game. I have to go to Phoenix (an hour away) to find a larger number of wrecking yards, so there is the needed trip fuel and the considerable time required to scour several yards for whatever they have in their inventory at any given time. Calling them is usually a major waste of time and an exercise in frustration; "You'll have to come here and physically look at what we have for yourself...". They can't tell you at all what they have at any time in their wrecking yards...they are all like that. It's a risky crap shoot at best. -Rusty :-I
'89 Bill BLASS

Lincoln Mark VIIs in the movies, on TV, etc;

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:51 pm

I was watching "Blue Bloods" the other day, a new TV series about NYC cops, starring Tom Selleck as the city's Police Commissioner, Frank Reagan. In the show, a maroon Mark VII was seen, and one of the detectives in the show pulled alongside the car, and questioned the guy in the LSC. The car was shown in a good side view...it looked very good, for sure, as our Mark VIIs do. Nice to see viable LSCs out and about, and being used in movies and TV shows. This adds to their historic significance, viability and presence. Good for the producers of the new series to choose the classic Lincoln Mark Vii LSC over all the other cars out there for that scene and cameo appearance in their show. Hope to see more appearances of '84-'92 Mark VIIs of any/all types in future shows. I'm always looking... -Rusty ;>)
'89 Bill BLASS

Mark VII's timeless styilg...

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Being a serious car buff and a hands-on person, I am pleased with the '84-'92 Mark VII's styling and its unique 'personality' even after so many years have passed since the cars rolled off the lines where they were built. I like seeing other people enjoying them. I have a local friend who drives his '92 LSC SE with his wife. He also owns a bas a
Corvwtte with a serious 383 Stroker enginee complete with wheelie bars and a jet black paint job. This streetable 'vette car is all about "Go Fast" and more. "LSC Bill" took me for a ride in his '92 LSC, and we topped 120+ mph easily for a short stretch before slowing to a more sedate 85 mph on the freeway. The '92 LSC and LSC Bill were right at home at speed. Gotta love it!
The car hugged the road, and its sport tuned air ride suspension were right at home eating up the pavement at speed. Gotta love how the sleek '92 Mark VII LSC body cuts through the wind and cheats the slipstream! Run, LSC,,,RUN! - LSC Rusty
'89 Bill BLASS

Postby K MANIAC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey Rusty...speaking of Mark VII's on film, check out the link to the movie trailer below. The car shown is owned by the bearded actor with the machette, and he is a member of this forum. Enjoy! :shock: :o 8-) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RAVwjB ... re=related

If fact, you get a better view of the same car in the film short below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezlGcuA8ymU
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Does your "Townie" have the 5.0 or the 4.6 engine? They don't build 'em like that anymore, for sure. Even the "Vickie-Voo" Crown Vics and the Mercury Grand Marquises are no longer built. Lots of cops and cabbies are bummed out about this. The smaller successors to these cars don't offer what the "Vickie Voos" had in space and versatility, even for taller operators. The 4.6 V8 had its issues with the plastic intake manifold used (DUMB idea from Ford, GM and others using them). Now, anything Mercury is somewhat collectible, except the later model smaller "plastic" econobox throwaways they offered along with Ford (Taurus, etc). I'd have liked to have had "Hawaii Five-O" Jack Lord's black '67 Merc luxo 2-door Montclair with its 390 or 429 engine. That car wasn't in as many episodes as the 4-door '67 Merc Monterey Jack Lord drove more often. Those '60s Hi-Perf machines had the "giddy-up-go" that set them apart from typical grocery getters of the time. I wonder who ended up with those old Mercs from the Hawaii Five-O series? I heard one '67 4-door Monterey Brougham was given to Jack Lord, but there supposedly were at least five black mid-'60s 4-doors (Montereys) and three 2-door Mercs (Montclairs) used in the series. The '67 Merc Montclair 2-door was nearly identical to its cousin, the '67 Ford LTD XL500 hardtop. My '67 LTD XL500 had a 4-barrel Hi-Perf 390 (same as the T-Bird Interceptor 390) and the C6 auto trans/9-inch rear end. Wimbledon White with a black & chrome interior. Memories...and lots of them! - Rusty ;>)
'89 Bill BLASS

Fords and more Mercs...

Postby '89 Bill BLASS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I had a 2-door '65 Merc Comet Caliente, 289 4-bbl and 4-speed floor shifter. Sold it, and regretted doing so. Same for my '64 Merc Meteor, nicknamed the "Meat Eater". That one had a hot 4-barrel 260 V8 and a later model manual 4-on-the-floor. Oh, to have those machines today. The 5.0 HO engine from my '91 LSC is slated to go into our '70 Mustang Boss 302 fastback. I have found an original '69 Boss 302 4-barrel intake manifold. The Ford Racing performance people tell me it supposedly will bolt right onto my '91 5.0 HO LSC engine. Anyone here know if it will? If so, that '70 Mustang will have '91 LSC/Mustang GT power making it go. The '91 4-speed AOD auto trans will give the carbureted '70 Boss 302 Mustang even better all around mpg performance. I'm liking it even more already. Anyone else here done anything like this? Let me know. I check this site regularly for new messages and posts. Thanks! -LSC Rusty (aka '89 Bill Blass). ;>) 10-17-2014
'89 Bill BLASS

Re: Fords and more Mercs...

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 pm

'89 Bill BLASS wrote:...

The 5.0 HO engine from my '91 LSC is slated to go into our '70 Mustang Boss 302 fastback. I have found an original '69 Boss 302 4-barrel intake manifold. The Ford Racing performance people tell me it supposedly will bolt right onto my '91 5.0 HO LSC engine. Anyone here know if it will? If so, that '70 Mustang will have '91 LSC/Mustang GT power making it go. The '91 4-speed AOD auto trans will give the carbureted '70 Boss 302 Mustang even better all around mpg performance. I'm liking it even more already. Anyone else here done anything like this? Let me know. I check this site regularly for new messages and posts. Thanks! -LSC Rusty (aka '89 Bill Blass). ;>) 10-17-2014

Hi Rusty, the Boss 302 intake has to be used with 4V Cleveland heads, which the Boss 302 had stock. You can use the 91 LSC shortblock, but it will have to use the matching balancer and flexplate(not the older 70's balancer or flexplate/clutch). The new stuff has 50oz balance, the older was 28oz balance. If you use the entire LSC shortblock/balancer/flexplate, and the Boss 302 intake with Cleveland 4V heads, it will require pushrods of a unique length for sure.

The AOD requires a very special TV cable to properly function, and it's part of all 302 HO engines with them. But without using the EFI throttle body and bracket the cable is made for, connecting a TV cable or rod is tough to do.

Do you have the 4V Cleveland heads already, which for a 302(Windsor water passages) have to have the coolant come out the intake faces? Any Cleveland head can have the proper holes machined into them, it just has to be done.

Depending on the car's condition and long term plans, it may be simpler and more reliable to add a 302 HO wiring harness from an auto Mustang from 1988-1992, to use the complete 302 HO and AOD. I haven't read of that being done much for older cars lately, but from long ago I know it's not a tough project. I myself in 1994 converted my old 86 Crown Vic to the same 302 HO and AOD, from being a police 351W and carb. The wiring wasn't too bad, that's my point there.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Western US