Ten buck fix up - Interior restoration

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Ten buck fix up - Interior restoration

Postby artbaileyjr » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Our latest acquisition, an '88 stealth black LSC ("Shifty"), had several issues when we got her. For one, the trans was shot. A five speed cured that. (Hence the name "Shifty"!) The interior was toast and some '94 T-bird leather power seats, the same color as the original interior were pulled from a C4C car and installed. So much for that.

The next thing that was driving me nuts were the green door panels. That's right; GREEN! I was told that ammonia or Simple Green can leach the color from the vinyl and the result was a green color. It's not that the panels are pristine, but the green had to go until good condition replacements could be found.

After considerable research, I found that good quality vinyl spray is actually a dye and impregnates the vinyl, very much as the original color did when applied. One of the best brands on the market is SEM, with a color palette larger than most other brands. I have used it in the past with long lasting results.

Kat and I removed the plastic surround that fits behind the steering wheel as a color sample and headed to our local automotive paint store, proper colored plastic part in hand. Ten minutes and ten bucks later we left with a can of SEM vinyl color.

Following is the left door panel as it looked just before starting:

(Below) We stripped the accessories from the panel and did a little masking:

(Below) The panel was wiped with a clean rag and plenty of lacquer thinner. We allowed it to flash off for a few minutes, then the coating was applied in several layers allowing a few minutes flash between coats.

(Above) The area where the carpet panel goes was not painted, so the color match was spot on.

(Below) Within a few minutes, the paint was dry enough to re-assemble the door:

The whole process took Kat and I less than an hour as we didn't pull the panels. The difference is like night and day:

A replacement center console top is drying in the garage overnight. That will be installed tomorrow.

What a difference ten dollars makes!
Art :D
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Re: Ten buck fix up - Interior restoration

Postby eightlives » Sat May 22, 2010 12:58 am

NICE
eightlives

Postby gadget73 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:20 am

Looks good. I'd have to agree, the green gotta go.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby K MANIAC » Sat May 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Lookin' Good, Art. I can't wait to ride in it again. :D
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat May 22, 2010 5:57 pm

lincolnmania wrote:looks good.......do you know of any product to repair the cracks in the door panels? mk7 door panels hold up a little better than box town car door panels......i'm on my second ds door panel on the towny and there are no crack free ones left anywhere that i can find or afford.

Scott,
There a number of products available for repairing cracks and gaps. I have see the results but I have never actually done it myself. A quick surfing exercise on the internet returned more products than I could shake a mouse at. My suggestion is again; go to your local commercial auto paint store and ask what they recommend. If you go to an upholstery shop, they wont tell you about the products, they will tell you about their services. Chances are that they get their supplies at the same paint store that you could go to. :shock: ;)

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby oldschool1 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Wow.
The before picture is an example of what can happen when we use the wrong product for the job.

Simple Green is a great product, but using the wrong flavor of it on vinyl is like using bleach on your maroon carpeting.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Mon May 24, 2010 11:58 pm

I've been looking for interior paint in this color!!

For Charcoal on 1986-1989 Marks, Mustangs Unlimited has it. Raven Black in 1984-85 Marks and Continentals is lighter.
1985 Continental, Burgundy - In CT, Free to a good home!
1986 Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite Metallic (1J), Project #1
1986 Mark VII LSC, Silver Metallic, Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #, Unfortunate Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #2, Project #2
1994 Mazda Miata, Classic Red
1999 Dodge Viper ACR, Viper Silver Metallic
1999 Jaguar XJR, Black, Stock
2000 BMW 540i/A, Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5, Anthracite Metallic, Stock
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 am

The interior code is charcoal, but the only thing I can find that is charcoal in the car is the cluster surround.

There are several colors quite close and it took a number of us at the paint store with the color chart to zero in on the proper color. I found out that "lid colors" are not even close. The actual chart is accurate.

Good luck, Nick.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby markvii_chick » Tue May 25, 2010 10:14 pm

:o those are some GREAT results!
This I must try as my doors are a weird 'yellowish/green' color :(
The car was bought like that :oops:
1989 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass with a few things added 8-)
markvii_chick

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 26, 2010 1:12 am

markvii_chick wrote::o those are some GREAT results!
This I must try as my doors are a weird 'yellowish/green' color :(
The car was bought like that :oops:

Hey! Where ya' been??
Kat and I were just wondering if you fell off the face of the earth! Glad to see ya back!

I have used Duplicolor in the past with good results but SEM has more color options. Unfortunately, SEM is more difficult to find and I had to go to a automotive paint supply store to find it. Duplicolor is available at most chain parts stores and I have also seen it in the past at Wal-Mart

The most important thing is to completely clean the panels (or whatever) and make sure that they are completely oil free. That inclides body oil. You can purchase wax and degreaser, again at an automotive paint store, but lacquer thinner is easier to find. Make sure that it has sufficient time to flash off (15-20 minutes) If there are any contaminates on the surface, the color coat will fisheye and wont impregnate the vinyl in that area. When using cleaners or lacquer thinner, use cation on surrounding areas or you ~may~ be doing a paint job on those too!

Try to remove a part of your interior that has been shaded from the sun and take it with you for a proper color match. Use the color chart, not the can's top for your match.

One can was sufficient to completely cover two door panels, a replacement center console top and the steering wheel horn pad.

We started with this:

... and ended up with this:

Good luck and I'm glad to see you again!

Art :D

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 am

I could sware those seats came out of a Cougar... the controls are almost identical!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:09 am

Shhh!
It's a secret!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 26, 2010 11:08 am

White Lincoln wrote:I could sware those seats came out of a Cougar... the controls are almost identical!

They look like dead ringers to me!

I did look at some "all fabric" seats out of another Ford product, but decided to pass until I found these "all leather" ones. I actually prefer cloth inserts out here in the warm country. Every car has a towel on the seat during the summer to keep from blistering the back of our legs when we climb into the car wearing shorts. (Which is 24/7)

I'm sure that the same seat types were used in a number of models of Ford products. They really are comfy!

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Laugh now, but the Cougar is a VERY comfortable car. We have driven to Denver and back, LA, Vegas and many other places and never complained once about the comfort. It is an execellant cruzer. We rented a Contour years ago and it was the WORSE car I have ever had the missory of HAVING to drive for hours at a time. What a POS.

So what car did those seats come out of? I like the pattern. You lucked out when you picked those up.

Now that I look at your seats, they look like they came out of 95 or 96 Cougar. The Thunderbird was very different style.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby eightlives » Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm

White Lincoln wrote:Laugh now, but the Cougar is a VERY comfortable car. We have driven to Denver and back, LA, Vegas and many other places and never complained once about the comfort. It is an execellant cruzer. We rented a Contour years ago and it was the WORSE car I have ever had the missory of HAVING to drive for hours at a time. What a POS.

So what car did those seats come out of? I like the pattern. You lucked out when you picked those up.

Now that I look at your seats, they look like they came out of 95 or 96 Cougar. The Thunderbird was very different style.

My Mom has a 95cougar that I bought her... just had it out today. while it doesn't have enough power for me (v6) it is a nice cruiser
eightlives

Postby White Lincoln » Wed May 26, 2010 6:35 pm

eightlives wrote:while it doesn't have enough power for me (v6) it is a nice cruiser

Au contraire, mon frère... I thought mine didn't either until I rebuilt the top end, did a j-mod on the tranny and added dual exhaust. That V6 will give my Mark 7 a run for its money. I'd try to race the two, but I just don't know how to drive both cars at the same time. :lol:

But ya, the car is past my expectations for what it used to be. I was so close to getting rid of the car SO MANY times until I kept working on it. Now it is one hell of car to drive. I really like it and would hate to get rid of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 26, 2010 11:04 pm

The seats came out of a '94 Bird.

I was at the yards today and looked allot closer at the Cougars. There were a couple of V8 models that looked like they would kick a$$ and take names. Actually, they share allot of stuff with our Mark's. The seats are the same as the Bird's.

I did a "hit and run" as I just needed needed an A/C compressor for "Shifty", so I didn't doddle much.
Looks like I'm going back soon as the nice, pretty, clean, rebuilt & freshly installed compressor that I pulled from a Townie that spent some time on it's roof, & side & trunk & ... well just about every side it had,.... knocks like a woodpecker on speed! (Ya' win a few.. Ya' loose a few. <shrug>

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Fri May 28, 2010 4:17 pm

vodkamartina wrote:I wonder if that is the stuff that made the icky sticky stuff on my panels (insert joke about icky sticky stuff here....)

My door panels look like they have been spray painted, but I am not really sure why.

I have managed to make them a lot more presentable with some elbow grease but they still have a ways to go...

Tina, do you have any pics of the door panels? I am curious of what you are describing and if I may have some suggestions.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby 2manymarks » Sun May 30, 2010 8:17 am

vodkamartina wrote:I wonder if that is the stuff that made the icky sticky stuff on my panels (insert joke about icky sticky stuff here....)

My door panels look like they have been spray painted, but I am not really sure why.

I have managed to make them a lot more presentable with some elbow grease but they still have a ways to go...

Those panels were the only complaint my sister and brother-in-law had with that car when I had them look at it before Katrina. At that time the owner had it over in Galveston. It had been listed on eBay and they were looking to get around $6k for it. 8-)
As of July2017,[code][/code] 11Mark[*] VII's, 3licensed for the road:
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock99k.
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs airsuspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 LSCMedium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB(8T)stock125k(wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L)stock(miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L)107k(2.73rear)
1984 TurboDiesel Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:10 pm

bradley p wrote:Thanks for the post very helpful but i think whoever had the car before me smoked alot in because i have this black tar like sticky substance on my door panels and other interior pieces i was wondering what would be the best thing to clean it with i tried thinner but it was removeing the color so i stopped useing it hince i still got sticky stuff i was thinking of just useing it to clean it off then just repainting the panels they are really faded in some areas anyways so i was just looking for some secondhand advice.ty

Try Goof-Off or even a Mr. Magic pad with soap and water. I have been amazed at what the Mr. Magic pad can do with a little liquid soap.

White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby gadget73 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:
I was at the yards today and looked allot closer at the Cougars. There were a couple of V8 models that looked like they would kick a$$ and take names. Actually, they share allot of stuff with our Mark's. The seats are the same as the Bird's.

They do. The IRS really makes a big difference in how they stick to the road, and the 4.6 is a runner easily on par with an HO stock for stock. They run fairly close in the 1/4, but real world driving tells you much better bottom end on the 5.0, much better mid-high rpm on the 4.6.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 pm

I once had a '71 El Camino painted at a paint shop. On the way home, I noticed that someone had hand prints on some of the interior surfaces. Unfortunately, they were paint covered. I was irritated as I had paid a considerable sum for the paint job, so I returned to the paint shop.

I showed the mess to the lady who ran the place and she said, "I'll take care of that right now!" She returned with a can of lacquer thinner and a rag. I was sure she was nuts, but in a few moments, she had all the paint removed with no damage to the upholstery, door panels and headliner. I went about my business and kept the car for many years. I have used lacquer thinner for al kinds of stuff, ever since.

When Kat and I got "Annie", our blue '88, the owners wife had had it detailed. There was a sticky goo on all the interior surfaces; leather as well. Kat and I attacked it with everything we could think of but the goo was stubborn and resisted all our efforts to remove it.

I tried some lacquer thinner in a test area and the thinner removed the goo immediately. We cleaned the whole interior of the car with rags, lightly dampened with lacquer thinner, never allowing it to remain on the surface for any length of time. It worked perfectly and there was only mild (dark blue) color transfer onto the white cloths that we were using, from areas that we really had to scrub. There was no noticeable damage to the surfaces of the interior, anywhere. The interior was then treated with the appropriate conditioners. We have repeated this process on several cars since then.

I would certainly advise doing a test in an unseen area first.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby phoenix » Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Ok... so, being inspired by this thread and all the possibilities, I decided to play with SEM paint a little bit... and altered the interior color scheme... just a tad. Yes, the door panels intentionally match the cowl and the glovebox lid. I was hoping that the steering wheel would blend right in as well, and it did. 8-)

Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Lookin' good Phoenix!
I did "Shifty" in May, 2010 and I'm still driving it now. No touch up needed. No wear-thru, no fading... just like the day I put it on, and it's one of our most driven cars.
I even used it on the boat and it gets sun AND water!

I'm pretty happy with SEM! 8-)

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby markvii_chick » Thu May 24, 2012 12:06 pm

phoenix wrote:Ok... so, being inspired by this thread and all the possibilities, I decided to play with SEM paint a little bit... and altered the interior color scheme... just a tad. Yes, the door panels intentionally match the cowl and the glovebox lid. I was hoping that the steering wheel would blend right in as well, and it did. 8-)

GAH! BLACK AND GRAY INTERIOR :o
I am SO doing this to my car also ASAP!!! It looks GOOD :o 8-)
1989 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass with a few things added 8-)
markvii_chick

Next

Return to Interior