Ten buck fix up - Interior restoration

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Re: Ten buck fix up - Interior restoration

Postby CDW6212R » Thu May 24, 2012 2:43 pm

That does look very good, well done.

My car has the almost white panels, seats, console, and the dash is the same gray as normal gray interiors. I need to do something with the console cover, it's a little rough. I have a gray steering wheel from an 03/04 Marauder, and wonder if it will work better than a black steering wheel, my second choice.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Guys, thanks for the compliments. It's basically what Art said - 10 buck fix up - and looks like much much more. I would recommend the SEM primer as well though! My friend had a can of that, and I didn't use it on the passenger side, but I did use it on the driver door panel which will see a lot more elbow contact, and I must say that there is a difference in texture. With primer it resembles that "vinyl" feel more, it's softer somehow. The passenger side seems to hold up just fine with just several coats of paint without the primer, but is just a tad more coarse to the touch.

Markviichick - get some paint and GO for it!! I didn't think my door panels needed it all that badly, but now I'd never go back to how it was. For black interior accents, that's not so hard to do, seeing as how they made MORE black interiors that in any other color. You can still harvest those parts!!

Don, let me make sure - you're looking for the leather armrest cover, correct? The one that I have in black in the above images? And you need a mint gray one, right?
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby CDW6212R » Fri May 25, 2012 12:00 am

It's the cover yes, but mine are lighter than the gray, just a hair. I may be better off to find the gray one than to recover one. I have two, but my old spare has become a little rough from just storage for 14 years. I need to pull the spare quarter trim panels out, to see if they are warped much. I need to swap the whole interior with my spare parts, besides the left door panel. This one looks okay, but the center trim doesn't hold on well like my first car did. I should see if I can repair the broken one.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ford4v429 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 pm

oldschool1 wrote:Wow.
The before picture is an example of what can happen when we use the wrong product for the job.

Simple Green is a great product, but using the wrong flavor of it on vinyl is like using bleach on your maroon carpeting.

We still use simple green at work-personally I hate it. Works great as degreaser, but ruins certain plastics. Our Fanuc Robot and CNC controls have membrane keyboards, and simple green will turn the key sheets into hard as eggshells literally in a hour... We have probably ruined 1000 control membranes a year by guys wiping their hands with a simple green rag then typing on the keys...keys crack/come off on your fingertips, if they don't replace them right away, they risk ruining the whole keyboard as dirt/coolant get in...

I'm a big fan of Fantastik/409, never saw ANY damage to anything with it, and it don't cost much more. a friend thats big time into Fanuc repairs(he has millions in inventory) showed me years ago how they cleaned boards with Fantastik, blew my mind at the thought of soaking boards with anything...we do a lot of in-house repairs, it's still all I use for boards, but I'll use it for cleaning hydraulic pumps and whatnot for rebuilding too- have never seen it hurt anything. So many other electrical component cleaners we've used over the years seemed to cause corrosion issues a year or two later...
ford4v429

Postby ford4v429 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:29 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:I once had a '71 El Camino painted at a paint shop. On the way home, I noticed that someone had hand prints on some of the interior surfaces. Unfortunately, they were paint covered. I was irritated as I had paid a considerable sum for the paint job, so I returned to the paint shop.

I showed the mess to the lady who ran the place and she said, "I'll take care of that right now!" She returned with a can of lacquer thinner and a rag. I was sure she was nuts, but in a few moments, she had all the paint removed with no damage to the upholstery, door panels and headliner. I went about my business and kept the car for many years. I have used lacquer thinner for al kinds of stuff, ever since.

When Kat and I got "Annie", our blue '88, the owners wife had had it detailed. There was a sticky goo on all the interior surfaces; leather as well. Kat and I attacked it with everything we could think of but the goo was stubborn and resisted all our efforts to remove it.

I tried some lacquer thinner in a test area and the thinner removed the goo immediately. We cleaned the whole interior of the car with rags, lightly dampened with lacquer thinner, never allowing it to remain on the surface for any length of time. It worked perfectly and there was only mild (dark blue) color transfer onto the white cloths that we were using, from areas that we really had to scrub. There was no noticeable damage to the surfaces of the interior, anywhere. The interior was then treated with the appropriate conditioners. We have repeated this process on several cars since then.

I would certainly advise doing a test in an unseen area first.

Art

That door panel looks great- my sons 90 had a rear side panel damaged by sunroof leakage, we took the black shoulder belt cover off it, painted the red one from my 89 donor with the same vinyl spray, put the shoulder belt pad in the ex-red panel(same otherwise-screws even line up) and viola!

I'll try the lacquer thinner on the 89 interior- its junk Nyway, but it's got a film on it too that nothing seemed to clean up. You mentioned tbird94 seats- do they bolt right up to the mark power tracks?
ford4v429

Postby artbaileyjr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 am

No. They don't. The passenger seat is non-power. It just slides back and forth with manual recline). It does fit the existing floor mountings, though.

The drivers side is full power and has an integral switch, so I no longer use the door mounted switch, although, it could be easily done. I just unplugged the OEM harness from the door switch and jumpered a power and ground so I had power at the existing harness under the seat. The T-Bird seat just needs power and a ground. Both original plugs are still in place and could easily be plugged back in and used if I wanted to revert back to OEM seats.

Three of the four floor mounts on the T-Bird seats fit the existing bolts/studs in the Mark. One is a near miss and a hole has to be drilled.

All in all; It's an easy swap.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby ropntex » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Nice "paint job" looks awesome. Know of anyone who can custom make some door panels for the lsc? If so it would be greatly appreciated.
ropntex

Postby phoenix » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 pm

ropntex wrote:Nice "paint job" looks awesome. Know of anyone who can custom make some door panels for the lsc? If so it would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing to my knowledge, but the "paint job" really does wonders. I used the SEM primer then paint over my entire interior. All in all maybe 150 bucks to paint the whole thing and it now looks brand new and bone stock. Tears in the panels at the handles is a situation though. I finally found a good driver side at u-pull it, now looking for a passenger.
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Previous

Return to Interior