Noisy Interior pannels

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Noisy Interior pannels

Postby RexNYC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm

every time i drive and hit a bump, i hear a chirping noise coming from the back left and right panels. This is extremely annoying, because the noise been getting worse. how can i fix this problem? i was thinking about taking out the back panels and coating the back with plastidip. would this work?
thanks everyone

what exactly could be causing this noise? i know my car is 21 yrs old.... thats why i though it was either spacers between the panels which needs replacing.
could the noise come from the bushings too? :cry:
RexNYC

Re: Noisy Interior pannels

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Are you sure its not the door panels making the noise?

Have someone sit in the back seats to verify.

It could be your rear bushings. Spray some silicone on them and see if that helps.

I thought the noise was coming from the rear seat somewhere... it was the bushings. They get worse with cold dry weather.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: Noisy Interior panels

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:21 am

Secure the cigarette lighters.
Secure the ash trays.
Secure the lighter and tray door latch.
On pre 1990s, ensure the passenger side front seat belt is taunt and that the buckle is not adjacent to anything that it could swing over and tap. On 90s and above, secure the buckle in the keeper.
Remove the rear seat. Remove any foreign objects. Pocket 20 years of change found. Reinstall the rear seat.
Secure all three rear seat belts.
Remove everything from the rear center arm rest that isn't leather or vinyl. Leave the arm rest down.
Remove everything from under the front seats that is not bolted to anything else.

Test drive the car.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I had the same chirping noise. It took my Brother and I a while to finally find out that it was the disconnected parking brake cables rubbing against the axle. A pair of zip ties solved the problem.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm

The rear seatback upper mounts were squeaking on two of mine. (Don't remember which ones) One of them had some fasteners/wedges accessible from the trunk ('90 and later??) I somehow tweaked them into submission which held the rear seatback more securely in place. On the other one, (pre '90??) there were some hangers/mounts on the upper seat back. (heavy wire/small round bar material) Again, a tweaking, settled THAT down. That one required removal of the seatback. Both sounds were high (location) and to the right or left. (forgot which) Both could have been (and were) mistaken as an upper shock mount. I had someone ride around in the back seat to locate the origin of the squeak.

Also... If your lower bench seat is not properly latched into position, (both sides) THAT will generate a squeak.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 pm

All of the above are good suggestions. I've got one more.

Parking brake cables. So not even kidding. Annoying squeak that makes you want to put a hammer to something. Instead put some lithium grease to the rusty brackets that the two cable ends go into right under the rear seat. 8-)

You can easily test if this is your squeak source by grabbing the parking brake cable within maybe two feet of the bracket (but not by the bracket) and violently shaking it thus creating considerable friction between the cable end and the bracket (which is what happens when the car hits a bump, basically).
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby RexNYC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm

thanks guys, its also my bushings... i secured alot of panels in the interior
RexNYC

Postby coldblue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 am

Mine squeaks too but I know it's the door because when I'm standing outside it I can push on the rear part where the stainless steel panel is and it squeaks as the door moves. Plus when I'm inside I can hold the door with my arm and it stops, btu I have no idea what's squeaking. Another weird thing is it says door ajar on the dash sometimes unless I push the door panel outward against the door.
coldblue

Postby mikeceli » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am

There is another thread on this same topic, where I describe the cure. IIRC, it's been a while, the center phillips screw mounting bracket is the cause of the "Chirp". I had to pull the panel to fix it. I don't remember the exact way I did it.
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby mikeceli » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Resealed quarter windows fixed quarter trim squeak!

Postby mikeceli » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:07 am
My 1988 Mark VII LSC 's quiet interior, had a annoying squeak, in the left interior quarter trim panel, for over 10 years. It's repair never made it to the top of my "To Do" list. My Wife and I worked on this this project.

The squeak was failure of the inner quarter trim attaching screw, near the wheel house arch. A larger diameter screw and fender washer, allowed ample torque and panel contact, fixing the slight, but annoying squeak. Said screw and washer is concealed bu the seat back.

I hope this helps others.

mikeceli
CLUB MEMBER

I located how I fixed my squeak / chipr(above)
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT