Replacement floor carpet, or cleaning tips?

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Replacement floor carpet, or cleaning tips?

Postby IndyDave » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

The carpeting (the big floor section with the rubber and foam backing that runs from under the dash to just under the back seats) in my '91 LSC isn't stained badly, but a sunroof leak (ignored by the PO) has caused it to smell like crazy. I have it out, and it won't go back in unless it's thoroughly cleaned, or it's replaced.

Anyone have any advice for cleaning it? I could take it to a self-serve car wash bay, but I don't know how it would hold up and dry out with all the rubber and foam backing. When I took it all out, some of the rubber cracked and came off. I'd really like to clean the carpet, rather than replacing it.

Speaking of replacement carpet, do the new Mark VII specific carpets you see online have all the foam padding and shaping underneath them? Any experience with those?

Trying to weigh my options here.

Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Replacement floor carpet, or cleaning tips?

Postby 88lsc7 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 am

Too much math for me!
88lsc7

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 am

88lsc7 wrote:Too much math for me!

Too funny!

Most of the people reading this have never owned a pre 1988 Mark VII. The nap was three times greater in the early years.

Weather it's for a show car or a daily driver, a clean carpet is a happy carpet.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Davemutt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 am

Make every effort to revive your original carpet and mats. Replacements will not even be close to OEM quality.

I had to give my truck carpet a bath after the heater core let go. I just draped it over a couple of 2x4's and soaked it with dish soap.

Davemutt

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Don't let a carpet become ripe after a water leak or being rained in with windows down etc. Dry it out as soon as possible, which means pulling the floor drain plugs, under the carpet.

Remove the carpet and dry it in full sunlight, draped over a bush etc, if possible. It will dry quickly in full sun, and a breeze helps.

The under carpet padding is what primarily will stink from getting wet, and that part doesn't come with new rugs. Get that and the whole rug washed/rinsed thoroughly, a pressure washer works great.

Most stains will come out, mainly grease is the big item that doesn't come out, so avoid putting any dirty parts in the car.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Purple Power + scrub brush + power washer + a fine day...

Most of the stains were around the seat mounts. The PO let leaks persist for quite a while but the stains aren't so bad, it's the smell. I have the whole interior out and it still smells inside the car. :evil:
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm

If it still smells after you have cleaned it all, and it's dry, then I suggest replacing at least the under padding. Hunt around to find out what kind of jute padding is available. The tar like material is sound deadening, you could rip that up and use any common sound proofing to replace that.

There are some other padding material pieces around the car, behind kick panels and most trim pieces, the wheel wells etc. Anything which will hold water might have mildewed and contributed to the smells.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby elenagilbert12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:11 am

You need to hire a carpet cleaner who can clean your carpet thoroughly and treat the bad odor as well. They have odor removal chemicals through which the smell never comes back again.
elenagilbert12

Postby IndyDave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 am

You may be right, that's what it may require. It was a pretty strong odor.

Since cleaning it the carpet has been in the attic where all the moisture was baked out of it weeks ago. I was rooting around up there over the weekend and I didn't pick up the odor, but I'm sure it will be obvious when I drag the carpet down. The rubber backing is stuck to the back of the carpet. The small sections of jute came out easily. It doesn't seem feasible to get the rubber backing off.

My attention has turned to how the water got in there. I got the new sunroof gasket put in and cleared the drains. I have identified the remaining water leaks. The bottom of each of the quarter windows leak as does a section along the top of the rear window. I'm trying to find a good glass shop in the Indy area - one that is familiar with older cars, restorations, etc.

Once that is done and I'm sure the leaks are all gone, I'll get back to the carpet issue, redo the headliner, package tray, etc.

It's been kind of fun driving the car with no interior. :geek: Well, the left door panel and the driver's seat are in, but that's it. It really feels "roomy" in there. :lol:

Another upside to having no interior is being able to see all the components, wire looms, drain lines, connectors, etc. Plus I got a good look at the interior body panels all the way down to the lower sections and I am delighted to see good, clean metal - no rust!

elenagilbert12 wrote:You need to hire a carpet cleaner who can clean your carpet thoroughly and treat the bad odor as well. They have odor removal chemicals through which the smell never comes back again...[/url].
Image Image
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby mikeceli » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm

I have removed moldy smells from carpet /padding by soaking in a solution of 1 part bleach, 10 parts water. Add some dish-washing liquid to help clean. Agitate. Soak for 30 minutes, rinse and allow to hang as vertically as possible, in fresh air.

You must kill the MOLD spores, to eliminate the odor.
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm

mikeceli wrote:You must kill the MOLD spores, to eliminate the odor.

Hey, I was going to say that!
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Return to Interior