Cracks on the dash

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Cracks on the dash

Postby deepacman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:59 am

Since i got my 91 LSC, I've had a couple cracks on my dash, most likely from sitting around through the sun and cold without car over time, when it was with its previous owner. Does anyone know any cheap ways that I could possible fix this without replacing or taking off my dashboard?
deepacman

Re: Cracks on the dash

Postby IndyDave » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm interested in this as well for my '91. This is pretty far down my (long) list of things to do but I am thinking of someday taking the car to a trim shop and see what they think. Perhaps they can fill the cracks somehow. I would be OK with some kind of vinyl cover that would fit the horizontal portion and roll down the front edge. I might have them make it a contrasting color such as the darker elements in my charcoal interior. Probably something with a dull finish so that I don't get glare.

I don't want to go the route of the carpet covers if I don't have to. You can look at them on the JC Whitney web site and others. Search this site and you can see pictures from members cars. The carpets aren't expensive and they have colors to match stock interiors.

Here is what mine currently looks like:

Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Always one of my favorite topics.

Though we cannot turn back time, we ~can~ slow down the aging process of our vinyl dashes.

1) Remove any and all dust form the dash. An air compressor works best or an old THICK towel, paying lots of attention to NOT pressing on the surface too much as you'll ADD to the existing cracking damage. A shop vacuum with a soft brush attachment is great for cleaning cracks.

2) Clean the surfaces with a vinyl cleaner and rinse the cleaner off of the surfaces.

3) Ensure that the surface temperature of your dash is between 60 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Saturate the dash overnight with
If you cannot find this locally, then it is worth ordering it directly from Mothers. They come in single spray bottles or six to a case or a 128 ounce refill bottle, product #05302. The MOTHERS web site doesn't show the refill bottle any more but there may be some left through CraigsBay.
Using a microfiber cloth or thin terry cloth or towel, work the protectant into the vinyl until it no longer streaks.

4) Repeat every 1 - 12 months (yes, I typed one to twelve months). In my case, I've found that with each application, the RE-application time is DOUBLED because the vinyl is soft and subtle and just plain doesn't need it. OldSchool5 is up to about once every year and a half. Enjoy.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks John. I take it from that, that leather conditioners are not the best thing to use? I have a dash to swap into mine, and I wonder what's best to use on it.

BTW, also to protect the dash, have the glass tinted completely, to stop UV rays from hurting it. I have the clearest tint on mine now, and it's excellent. You can't tell it's there, unless you already know it is.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Thanks John. I take it from that, that leather conditioners are not the best thing to use? I have a dash to swap into mine, and I wonder what's best to use on it.

Vinyl protectant is best for vinyl.
Leather conditioner is best for leather.
ImageImage
CDW6212R wrote:BTW, also to protect the dash, have the glass tinted completely, to stop UV rays from hurting it. I have the clearest tint on mine now, and it's excellent. You can't tell it's there, unless you already know it is.

Yup.
Though we cannot turn back time, we ~can~ slow down the aging process of our vinyl dashes. Reducing/Eliminating exposure to direct sunlight (in any form) is an effective method.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 am

Another option is to have it redone in leather. If I ever have to fix my dash thats what I would do. Some of the high end cars today have it and I like the way it looks. If dont right and in good color its a great alternative. Cheap it will not be, but there are NO alternatives, not like you can go to Lincoln dealer and order a new dash.
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
-----------------------------------
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460