Rear view mirror

cleaning, stain removal, washing, cloth, leather, vinyl, detailing.

Rear view mirror

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:32 pm

Does anyone know if a automatic dimming mirror out of a Mark VIII will work in a Mark VII? Do the VIII's have the light sensor on the bracket like the VII's? The blue LSC I just picked up, oddly didn't come equipped with one and I would like to add it. Also, were all VII's wired to have the connection somewhere in the headliner for this option. I gave it a quick look since I have the overhead console out (repairing it) but didn't see anything in view. I have 5 Mark VIII's in the local yard right now and I might head on up there, if it would fit. 8-)

Thanks
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Re: Rear view mirror

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 pm

I don't think they can work, I believe Ford changed all of the mounting pads in the mid 90's to no longer use a set screw. I might be wrong, so you can check that easily. The older cars always have a set screw holding the mirror to the glass mounting pad. The newer mirrors simply slip on with downward pressure, and I don't like those. My 98's mirror vibrates just a little, and there's no way to tighten it.

Find the thread Phoenix made about adding an auto dim mirror. He did a great job of it, and it's not too hard. I'd use the 90-92 mirrors if you can, they are good and last a long time.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Rear view mirror

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:43 pm

CDW6212R wrote:I don't think they can work, I believe Ford changed all of the mounting pads in the mid 90's to no longer use a set screw. I might be wrong, so you can check that easily. The older cars always have a set screw holding the mirror to the glass mounting pad. The newer mirrors simply slip on with downward pressure, and I don't like those. My 98's mirror vibrates just a little, and there's no way to tighten it.

Find the thread Phoenix made about adding an auto dim mirror. He did a great job of it, and it's not too hard. I'd use the 90-92 mirrors if you can, they are good and last a long time.

Thanks Don, I plan on using a 90's mirror as I like them and it is what the car would have came with. The 86 LSC I had, had a dimming mirror, but it used a sort of flipping action to dim. I think those are the same all the way to 89?..... I will check on the thread you mentioned, if the car doesn't have the connections, I will add them. I think most are there already using the upper console wiring. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Return to Interior