locked ignition keys in trunk.no trunk key !

clutter!, stain removal, cleaning, detailing

Re: locked ignition keys in trunk.no trunk key !

Postby hansa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Do you have/know the keyles code numbers?
Switzerland Edition Speedometer
1988 LSC, from Switzerland
1988 Bill Blass, from California
1988 LSC, from Netherlands
2003 Mercury Marauder with Trilogy Super Charger
hansa

Postby K MANIAC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm

MarkoDarko wrote:i locked my keys in the trunk, as far as i can tell you ned to have the key in the ignition to open the trunk with the button. is there any way to open the trunk without power to the ignition?

The trunk will open from the keypad with NO ignition key required. Enter the five digit code, then press & release 5/6 within five seconds to open the trunk. I hope you know your code.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:25 pm

MarkoDarko wrote:too late i mounted another switch,mounted it to the left of the steering wheel vent/trim panel and wired it directly to the battery. i already had a aux fog light switch so i grabbed the same hot wire.

So, did you open your trunk?
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:28 pm

MarkoDarko wrote:yea it opened and since i mounted this switch its in a handier spot and no need for key in ignition.

have you tried opening the trunk from the keypad?

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 am

I have my keyless entry code on a scrap of paper in my wallet just in case I do that. If you enter the key code, then press the 5/6 button, the trunk opens.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 pm

gadget73 wrote:I have my keyless entry code on a scrap of paper in my wallet just in case I do that. If you enter the key code, then press the 5/6 button, the trunk opens.

The first thing I do when I get a car is have several sets of keys made, then attach the keys to a plastic key identifiers and rings. They are then put away. (Along with the originals, If I got them with the car.)

There is an issue on a pre '90 car if the battery happens to go dead and the keys are in the car. It least, on a '90 and later, it's not too hard to get power to the starter and power the car, but on pre '90 cars, it's a bit more difficult. I use the same code on all of my cars, so its not hard to get into any of them for Kat and I, but we also have the factory keyless entry codes in my wallet and in Kat's purse. We also keep the VIN and license number handy as many years ago when I had one of my pickups stolen, and the officer asked me what the license number was, my response was: Ahhhhhhhhhh.......
I haven't had to answer that question again, but it stuck in my memory!!! I keep all that info on my person!

Oldschool has the right idea! His are easy to remember!

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:35 am

I'm glad that Dude got into his trunk, but I disagree with the switch.

Having an always hot switch for a decklid is not a good idea. There's the safety issue and then there's the accident issue.

Most of the accessories on our mark VIIs were designed with a critical question in mind; what could happen to this system in an accident?

Let's think fuel pump here.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:34 pm

oldschool1 wrote:I'm glad that Dude got into his trunk, but I disagree with the switch.

Having an always hot switch for a decklid is not a good idea. There's the safety issue and then there's the accident issue.

Most of the accessories on our mark VIIs were designed with a critical question in mind; what could happen to this system in an accident?

Let's think fuel pump here.

I disagree.
This can be most helpful if you have an accident at the drive in-theater as most likely, your knee will hit the switch and immediately let all six of the guys out of the trunk, where otherwise they could be asphyxiated while you are otherwise busy talking your way out of a jam with the cops, and forgot about your buddies in the trunk! 8-) :P

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby gadget73 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Tidbit. Police Crown Vics have the trunk popper wired constantly hot. Civilian models have that same button in the same place, but wired through the key switch. I probably would have fed the stock switch from a constant hot supply and just left it in the original location, but modified if I was so inclined. Not sure that its any less safe, though it is less secure since anyone could just hit the button and get your stuff in the trunk.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 am

artbaileyjr wrote:
oldschool1 wrote:... while you are otherwise busy talking your way out of a jam with the cops, and forgot about your buddies in the trunk! 8-) :P

Art

What was I thinking?

Thanks Art.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Trunk