hole in bottom of trunk??

clutter!, stain removal, cleaning, detailing

hole in bottom of trunk??

Postby neeshui7 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 pm

i recently removed my spare tire and stuff to make everything a little lighter and hopefully save some on gas. when i noticed at the bottom where the tire was there is a small hole i can see straight to the ground from and water is coming up from i also see possible patch work? ill try to get a pick of that not sure if its factory or something went wrong..
but what will be my best way of sealing this?
neeshui7

Re: hole in bottom of trunk??

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:30 pm

There are many holes in the lower body surfaces, but they are built in and have rubber plugs sealing them. If the hole looks uniform and smooth, I'd say it's fine but the plug is missing.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:36 pm

ahh hmm well where would i get a plug?? or should i just seal it with something els? its like a little rectangle pretty small but enough for water to come up from
neeshui7

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Can you take a picture or give us better dimensions? If it's a factory hole, then the plugs that fit it will be common and not hard to get. Use a piece of duct tape for the moment.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 am

the bottom on is a patch looking thing that seems to be leaking or wet is that worry some? or normal
neeshui7

Postby Davemutt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:18 pm

I think those are drain holes down there. I would not plug them.
Davemutt

Postby neeshui7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

i guess its lasted this long with nothing done so ah well? maybe it is maybe its not...
neeshui7

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm

That looks original, which should be made to allow water out, but not in. There are openings at the bottom edges of all body panels, doors etc.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:30 pm

holes in the car on purpose? its strange really you would think it would be other wise! haha
wait why are there holes if the only point is to plug them up ??? :?: :roll:
but i know there is a point that i just dont know the point is all. :)
neeshui7

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm

I originally thought you were talking about a hole under the trunk rug. Like any floor area in all vehicles, trunk etc, they all have holes for draining purposes, with plugs in them when new. The bottom seams of body panels have openings in them to allow water out, those are tiny slots and angled away from normal airflow or water spray.

Look at the bottom edge of any door, under it from the inside. There are always two or more tiny slots at the base of the body seam there. Any water getting past the window glass ends up at the bottom seam of the door, and it goes out those slots.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 am

ahh and these are the holes i have to make sure are clear every so often.. :)
neeshui7

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Actually those drain holes you found are really the only ones that plug up occasionally, from dirt/mud getting thrown up into them. Often when body work is done to repair damage, they end up leaving the holes misshapen.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:45 am

oh ill watch them then. if i unplug the drain and throw some soapy water into the hole would that be ok to as washing no harm? it is kinda muddy. i don't think its every been crashed just in front a little so no worry's there.
neeshui7

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Sure, no trouble there. They are very small and you can clean that any way you want to.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 pm

cool :)
neeshui7

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:37 am

neeshui7 wrote:holes in the car on purpose? its strange really you would think it would be other wise! haha ...

Undercarriage holes are common due to production.

When our Fords are going down the assembly line, they are often supported by spikes attached to the dolly/conveyor that is transporting them.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby fremar68 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 am

All:

What John just said above.

And these holes are used double duty as stress points for body fluxuations. There's a lot of metal in the body that needs to stretch and bend with driving conditions (fluxuations in the roads and wherever/whatever the car is sitting on or moving over). Something has to give somewhere. The idea is to ensure that it doesn't happen on the noticeable outer body parts. So an eyelet grommet or rubber plug or whatever is used to complete the purpose. It also provides a convenient outlet for water drainage in case someone accidently (or intentionally) hoses down the interior (cabin, trunk) or someone leaves the windows down or trunk open and it begins to rain, snow, hail, or whatever.

NOTE: Didn't they show Joe Pesci hose down the trunk of a car in "Goodfellas" to get rid of the dead body odor??? What they didn't show was someone removing the body plugs before that so the water would drain out.

Maybe the subject car above got "bent" a little too much at some point in time, which altered it's stress position somewhat and caused it to take in external particles rather than just expel them.

Just about anything man made at a certain size requirement (cars, boats, airplanes, the list goes on) that moves over some type of surface has stress points built in to allow for "bendage" in the allotted places.

Hope this answers some of the "why this, why that, why there" questions.

Fred D.
The Chairman
fremar68
BOARD MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 am

Yup. What Fred said.

The quick and non permanent fix would be something that we called Blue Glue. Just about any gasket maker material in a tube is GREAT for temporarily adhering a piece of rubber over a hole until you have to hose the trunk down to get rid of that dead body smell. The adhesive never fully dries and is perfect for, well, temporally creating a mating surface between to dis/similar items.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby neeshui7 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:50 pm

something seeming so simple at first, come to find out it has a pretty important purpose pretty cool :)
neeshui7

Return to Trunk