Trunk Resto-Mod Project.

clutter!, stain removal, cleaning, detailing

Trunk Resto-Mod Project.

Postby warwgn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

So if anyone here has seen the inside of my trunk, it wasn't pretty, but I finally decided to do something about it this weekend.

Friday:
Here is the trunk before I started. Full of junk, Side carpet panels falling apart, and just generally looks like crap.

I then ripped out the old side panel and carpet that hides the fuel filler tube, and power antenna motor.

After that, I shampooed the carpet, and replaced the previously mentioned side panel with a much better looking one that I got from another Bill Blass owner from Little Rock, AR.

Saturday:
My Neighbour and I started of by taking measurements of the trunk space, then we cut a 4 'x 4' piece of 3/8" plywood as the main platform.

But before we start cutting into the main sheet, we figured it would be best to do our trial and error trimming on 4 smaller sections of scrap wood.

After our trimming was complete, we placed the templates onto the good sheet, and stated tracing and cutting. We then fitted the sheet into the trunk.

Sunday:
I drove out to my friends place in Almonte, (30 miles west of Ottawa), to show him the work, and pick up one of the rolls of carpet I had stored in our old camper trailer. The one I chose was a 6' x 10' roll of brand-new, never-been-walked-on carpet, worth about $1,200 that I got for free, courtesy of my work. (No, I didn't steal it. I asked my boss, and he said I could take it.)

Then I thought I might as well ask my friend if he wanted to help me with with the project, since I was there, and he had all the tools we needed. So we started off by cutting away the excess carpet.

We then sanded the plywood to smooth out the surface and reduce the risk of slivers.

After that we started fitting the carpet to the plywood, stapling them together, and hammering the staples in to make sure they held.

Then we stuck it in the trunk to see the result of our handy work, after which I went home to vacuum the slivers out of the original carpet, and organize my stuff.

So thus concludes this entry regarding my trunk project. I'm tremendously happy with the result, as I can now have a proper flat load floor to work with when loading luggage and other gear into the trunk. And I can also hide all my "junk" under the "floor".

I'm still not finished with it though, as I still have the driver's side panel, and package tray cover to fix. But I won't be getting into that until I get new speakers for the stereo. There's no sense fixing something and installing it, only to have to tear it out again.... So I WILL revisit this post, and keep you updated on my progress.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Trunk Resto-Mod Project.

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Well done, it is an odd shape to work with for loading and storing things.

My trunk is generally empty, except for a few very small items that fit around the fuel filler neck etc. I'm about to figure out how to mount an amplifier back there so the fins face up, meaning hang it from the shelf or place it sideways along the side. Fun stuff.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Well done, it is an odd shape to work with for loading and storing things.

My trunk is generally empty, except for a few very small items that fit around the fuel filler neck etc. I'm about to figure out how to mount an amplifier back there so the fins face up, meaning hang it from the shelf or place it sideways along the side. Fun stuff.

Aside from the usual jack and 4-way wrench, my surplus of junk includes a folding chair and detailing supplies for car shows, towing acceories(towing mirrors, and a pair of hitch balls), and my shop manuals.

One thing I did not realize until a couple of days a go, is that my car has a tie down loop hidden under the carpet. I'm not sure if any other Mark VII's have it, but if you look at this pic, you can see it where the jack is being held in place with a bungee cord.

It was definately a "holy crap" moment for me, because I've had the car for almost 5 years now, and I had absolutely no clue that the loop was there.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:24 am

Interesting to see the faces that go with the cars. Thanks for sharing and NICE JOB!
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 am

Doug,
Great job on a FUNCTIONAL modification!

As for a look at a FACE TO A NAME, see this thread http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2704&start=75&hilit=face+to+a+name.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby cfcjr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 am

I like it a lot. About the only complaint I have is the LACK of a trunk with a flat floor. This mod certainly rectifies that. Nicely done.
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 am

White Lincoln wrote:Interesting to see the faces that go with the cars. Thanks for sharing and NICE JOB!

Unfortunately none of the faces you see in my post are mine.. I'm the one taking the pictures.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, I think I'm finished my trunk project.

I spent most of my week's vacation working on my car.

The first thing I did was replace the speakers, then after a road trip to Oh Kenny's place to pick up some much appreciated parts, I was able to replace the split weather stripping, replace the spare tire tie down strap, restore the side panel that goes behind the spare tire, and finally re-install the carpet panel that covers the underside of the package tray and other other electronics.

Here are some pics....

The little indentation is a perfect size to hold oil bottles, and the my laptop case fits nicely between the side panel and hinge.

Spare tire tie downs firmly in place and holding

Driver's side panel restored to it's former glory

Not sure if you can see it, but I added a bracket/hook to keep my trailer wiring harness tucked out of the way.

So that's it for my trunk resto-mod project. Unless....

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a lens cover for the trunk light?

It just seems like something is missing from here. Maybe I can add a dome light lens cover from another car that has a switch to turn the light off for when I have the trunk open for long periods of time.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Nope... There is no lens cover.
Nice job, Doug.
BTW, that hook in the trunk is for holding a full size spare. They all have them and were supplied with a "J" hook and knob for holding the spare in place. As you know, the vast majority of us use the space-saver spare.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby warwgn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:53 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:Nope... There is no lens cover.
Nice job, Doug.
BTW, that hook in the trunk is for holding a full size spare. They all have them and were supplied with a "J" hook and knob for holding the spare in place. As you know, the vast majority of us use the space-saver spare.

Art

I see. I'm curious to know what went in to the space in place of the " 'get me home' Donut" space saver spare when equipped with the full size spare... of if any Mark VII had both types of spares equipped.

As for the light.. I think I'll try to find a light cover with a switch for it.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:03 pm

The space where the space saver spare goes had a cover that was hinged and carpeted the same as the trunk carpet. My '86 was so equipped and I'm sure that someone has pictures of the trunk, full sized spare cover and the stowage compartment. I'll see if I have any pictures in my archives.

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:The space where the space saver spare goes had a cover that was hinged and carpeted the same as the trunk carpet. My '86 was so equipped and I'm sure that someone has pictures of the trunk, full sized spare cover and the stowage compartment. I'll see if I have any pictures in my archives.

Art

Nice, I might like to find one of those. I likely will never use my spare, as the diameter doesn't match, and I plug and air up my own flats on site. I never take the wheel off, I just find the screw and plug it, then fill the tire with air. It's usually faster than changing a tire.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Image of my '86 Bill Blass trunk with full sized spare:

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:05 am

Very nice Art, that looks great. I think that space on the left would be useful to have, and my air pump and tire repair kit would fit there easier than on the right side etc. I'll see if I can find a cover piece like that, even a rough one to remake if needed.

My big tires would be too large to keep another one in the truck.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 5151 mm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 pm

That's a nice modification, Doug. Even though I find the originally trunk pretty small in height, already.

Where exactly is (or let's say should) the trunk light be located??? I always supposed that Lincoln, being a luxury brand, must have put a light into the trunk, but I was wondering, why nothing enlightens back in there in ours...
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Johannes,
The light is located directly in front of the trunk opening under the package tray, right in the middle. There is a rectangular hole in the carpet panel about one inch from the trunk opening. The lamp is in there. You cant see it unless you stick your head in the trunk and look up.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby 5151 mm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:57 am

artbaileyjr wrote:Johannes,
The light is located directly in front of the trunk opening under the package tray, right in the middle. There is a rectangular hole in the carpet panel about one inch from the trunk opening. The lamp is in there. You cant see it unless you stick your head in the trunk and look up.

Art

Found it! Thank you. However, on ours is no carpet up there and no bulb in there. Which bulb belongs in there? 12.5 V are appplied to the socket.
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Johannes
I use the same bulb as the hood or side lights. (Don't know the number) :?
(Owners manual says #912)
Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby 5151 mm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks Art.
Meanwhile the onwer guide did come to my mind, too and so I took a look at page 223 (model year 1990) - bulbs are already ordered, should be delivered next week. :)

Sorry for off-topic!!
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Postby Rusty » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Nice job on the trunk cover.
A few years ago everyone was making trunk boxes for there cars. Some were crude and some were made by cabinet makers, needless to say there were some very good ideas a round.

Please could you tell me, do you think a full size spare would fit under the cover you made?
I too have changed the size of my tires and rims to 17" 245/50/17. I hope it fits. If not I have a cover off my Impala SS that came with 17"s and will fit right over the tire in quite nice. Same carpet fabric.
I wonder how does the "hold down with the J hook work????? It would need to hold the jack and the tire iron, as well as other assorted items of interest. A lock box. That sort of thing.
As to to the space for the donet spear, I would like to see the 84 modal, it would be interesting.

On to the trunk light, You could do a lot with the power source. I've seen trunks with six lights in there. Two under the package shelf, one on each side of the trunk and another two at the rear next to the trunk lock. rows of LED might be interesting.
and could be quite creative.

Again thanks for sharing your pictorial of the trunk nod. looks very clean.
Rusty
Rusty
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 pm

The Mark VII was desighned to hold either the small spare or a full size spare.

White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby Alddas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 am

Rusty wrote:Nice job on the trunk cover.
A few years ago everyone was making trunk boxes for there cars. Some were crude clicking here and some were made by cabinet makers, needless to say there were some very good ideas a round.

Please could you tell me, do you think a full size spare would fit under the cover you made?
I too have changed the size of my tires and rims to 17" 245/50/17. I hope it fits. If not I have a cover off my Impala SS that came with 17"s and will fit right over the tire in quite nice. Same carpet fabric.
I wonder how does the "hold down with the J hook work????? It would need to hold the jack and the tire iron, as well as other assorted items of interest. A lock box. That sort of thing.
As to to the space for the donet spear, I would like to see the 84 modal, it would be interesting.

On to the trunk light, You could do a lot with the power source. I've seen trunks with six lights in there. Two under the package shelf, one on each side of the trunk and another two at the rear next to the trunk lock. rows of LED might be interesting.
and could be quite creative.

Again thanks for sharing your pictorial of the trunk nod. looks very clean.
Rusty

Those row led lights really look awesome
Last edited by Alddas on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alddas

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:39 am

artbaileyjr wrote:The space where the space saver spare goes had a cover that was hinged and carpeted the same as the trunk carpet. My '86 was so equipped and I'm sure that someone has pictures of the trunk, full sized spare cover and the stowage compartment. I'll see if I have any pictures in my archives.

Art

1984 Lincoln Continental Mark VII Bill Blass
1MRBP98F3EY733067
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Very nice John, and do you think those rug pieces can be used to make templates for creating new parts? I'm fairly certain that I will not be using my spare in the trunk when I get around to rebuilding things. The little spare will not work with Cobra brakes, and I much prefer fixing flats on the car, it's faster and easier.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Sure Don.
I have two 1984s and a 1985 that you can make templates form. Just let me know when you want to fly in and we'll play with cars for a couple days.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Next

Return to Trunk