speaker insulation

clutter!, stain removal, cleaning, detailing

speaker insulation

Postby phoenix » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:51 am

So, I spotted these interesting shrouds on the 90s Town Cars and decided to see whether these work as good as the covers that our Marks have - for not allowing the sound to escape into the trunk and improving the fidelity inside the cabin. My conclusion is that these work better. Feel free to try 'um - the salvage yard did not even charge me for a pair of these!

You can see that it's a pretty snug fit. I cut two slits on each side (the Townie mounts them via screws at the top) and just used zip ties to hold them in place. The difference in sonic detail is considerable.

Last edited by phoenix on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Re: speaker insulation

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm

That's a good thought. Next time you look to Crutchfield for anything, find their speaker guards. They make them in most sizes, and they are a sturdy foam material, water resistant too( a water barrier for door speakers).
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Re: speaker insulation

Postby admin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:36 pm

I picked up a pair of those for my Cougar from the junk yard. I have yet to put them in. But I am planning on re-doing the whole sound system in the Cougar, so I will install those then.

Placing foam rubber around speakers in the sides of the rear cabin help a lot too.
admin
SITE ADMIN

Return to Trunk