painting engine parts

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

painting engine parts

Postby cold_one » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

On my 91 LSC, some of the paint has worn off of the AC piping. Any recommendations other than masking everything and spraying them - taking them apart doesn't seem like a good plan. Ford paint or what? Thanks.
cold_one

Re: painting engine parts

Postby gadget73 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm

some is, some is not. The stuff on mine is painted at the compressor, but I think the liquid line from condensor to evaporator is not painted.

Clean it really good before painting. Carb cleaner works great for this. Then its just a matter of masking and painting. If you're so inclined, a small brush and black oil based paint will work too. I like TrueValue XO-Rust, applied with a natural bristle brush. It lays nicely and has good coverage. Don't use a synthetic brush, otherwise it will leave a bunch of hairs in the paint.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:58 am

The only ones that I have seen that are not painted black are replacements. I could be wrong, but that is my experience.

I refresh my painted hose fittings with gloss black rustolium and a large artist's brush. Rustolium drys so slowly that it flows out nicely and has a dull sheen so it looks just like the industrial paint used on the hose ends.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby cold_one » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks. My car is like the second photo - no where near as nice though. I am going to try and figure out how I can post pictures.
cold_one

Return to Engine Bay