purple power

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

purple power

Postby phoenix » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 pm

...it rocks. everyone who has older engine parts out for service or other repair where they simply are in the way and will be putting them back because they still function right oughta do it!! :D

a nice purple power bath and a wire brush session, followed by parts being drenched in carb cleaner and hopefully several coats of engine enamel DO WONDERS!!!

valve covers BEFORE

valve covers AFTER

Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Re: purple power

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 am

Purple power is great stuff, but for those who live in Smart and Final areas, use their 1 gallon generic branded industrial degreaser. 4 (water) to 1 (degreaser) works better that anything I have found.

I put it in a pump up liquid lawn and garden sprayer and apply it with that, followed by a good hard stream if water. It is great. I also use it out of the bottle with a brush for parts cleaning, again followed by water and compressed air, that is , when I'm not using straight gasoline. (in an outdoor area)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 pm

lincolnmania wrote:cant get purple power there? :cry: .....

Oh absolutely! I can get it. Its great stuff!

I just happened to be at a Smart and Final store (kind of a restaurant supply store , but open to the public) and they have all kinds of self branded big quantity foods, paper products and floor products. Having owned a restaurant, one of the most difficult things to clean is the exhaust hood and filters over the grills, stoves, char broilers and deep fryers. I saw this industrial degreaser for use on all kinds of stuff and decided to try it. It works like greased lightning. I've been using it ever since.

A when I was a younger man (which was a long time ago) a friend was doing a project car. He was stripping the paint in the vacant engine bay of his project car in preparation for a new engine. I saw the scraped off paint kind of rolled up on the floor. I asked him what he was using to soften and remove the paint. He said oven cleaner and a putty knife! I've been using it ever since for cleaning & degreasing heads, manifolds, valve covers, pans etc. (off of the car, of course) I always pick up the cheap stuff at a 99 cent store and keep a mess of it around. I just spray it on, walk away for a few minutes and hose it off with water. It works really great for prepping wheels for paint as well. It removes the flung around grease & tar from the back side and removes the clear coat or paint (in the case of turbines) by just spraying it on, waiting a while, and scrubbing the surface with a stiff brush. It takes several applications on wheels but it works well. You definitely want to keep it away from painted surfaces, though.

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby phoenix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 pm

speaking of wheel paint... my bbs's are well overdue. gentlemen, i take it engine enamel don't work for those? or does it? and what is the best way of masking a tire?

thanks! :D
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Phoenix.
There is a wheel paint available. Your local chain parts store should have it.

As far as masking? I usually have my tires dismounted and re-finish or re-polish my wheels when I get new tires. I have a spare set of beaters that I put on the car and then have the refinished wheels with new tires mounted in the beater wheels/tires place. The tire store puts my old spare tires and wheels in large, heavy plastic bags and I just load them in the car and bring them back home.

Maybe just clean the sidewalls really well and try to tape them off? <shrug>

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby gadget73 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

If you make a ring of cardboard or heavy paper that fits snugly on the outer lip of the rim, that will do nicely for masking. They sell things just like that, but its nothing you can't make yourself. Slip sheets from a warehouse would be perfect if you cut them down. They're basically thin cardboard in a 40x48" size.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Mac_Doogle wrote:We have a store that's called the dollar tree here in parkersburg. They sell a cleaner called Awesome It cost a dollar. It is by far the best cleaner I have ever used including purple power. If you are cleaning delicate stuff dilute it. If you need a harsh cleaner leave it straight out of the bottle.

Awesome is .... well AWESOME!

At a buck a bottle, we have the stuff all over the place! We keep 5-6 bottles around the house (kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, etc. PLUS the garage!)

I use that stuff for everything! I use it on the interior carpets with a scrub brush for grease. It will clean a nasty looking trunk carpet, It's great in the engine compartment and we use it in the house for general cleaning!

Ya hafta' be a tad careful with upholstery color as it will leach the color on ~some~ colors, but not all, if left for very long. It will also remove all traces of wax from painted surfaces and etch the paint, so caution is needed on exterior paintes surfaces as well, but for interior trim, I spray it on a work rag and have at it! I even use it on my clothes if I inadvertently get a grease spot on a shirt or something before I throw it in the washer. I use it on my white sneakers too!

Great stuff and I've found it in many 99 cent stores, including Dollar Tree.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Taken from WikiPedia.org

New Shimmer – Gilda Radner and Dan Aykroyd play a couple having an argument over whether New Shimmer is a floor wax or a dessert topping ("It's a dessert topping, YOU COW!"), then Chevy Chase (as a product demonstrator) steps in and demonstrates that "New Shimmer is a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"

Sorry Guys ... I just COULDN'T resist!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine Bay