Show us your engine bay ....

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Re: Show us your engine bay ....

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Very nice, I love the new AC hose treatments etc. Which Extreme Chassis Black did you use, the spray can or a paint gun mixture?

How's your under hood insulation doing, could it need replaced? Browse on eBay for the custom shape pieces that were there in Spring, about $75.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Don, I really need to replace the underhood insulation lol. It's gonna get done either this fall or this winter, this is something that I can easily do by myself. Ebay really rocks, that's where we got the rebuilt injectors too.

For Extreme Chassis Black I just went with the spray can. I like spray cans. I will, however, purchase the brush-on Encapsulator now to get at a few small spots that still need touched up... Completing the rust proofing is going to be the big project for this fall. 8-)
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby Dereck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Guys

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:48 pm

WOW!!! Adjusting the alternator belt tension on that thing has got to be a real BITCH! :lol: :mrgreen: :D ;)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:50 pm

You yanked the motor without the need to remove the hood.
Cool!

What's next?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dereck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 pm

oldschool1 wrote:You yanked the motor without the need to remove the hood.
Cool!

What's next?

Hi Oldschool

Yep just popped the gas lifts and tied it back with a length of rope.

I had a small coolant leak from the back of bank 1 cylinder head, first I knew about it was a dead starter motor full of coolant.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:10 pm

That a 4.6, Dereck?
Image Image

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby Dereck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

phoenix wrote:That a 4.6, Dereck?

Hi Phoenix

It sure is.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 pm

I want to know EVERYTHING!!! Details, please!!! How, when, why, and how has it worked out for you so far?
Image Image

phoenix

Postby Akurei14 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 pm

4.6 swap requires a 96+ stang k-member, 4.6 motor, and a 4.6 compatable trans 4R70W, prolly a driveshaft, trans controller, and ofcourse provisions to make the 4.6 sing and dance...
Not worth it unless it's a 4v out of a Mark VII or Cobra....
Too much money to build a decent 2v or 3v 4.6 still.

And that doesn't appear to be a mark VII, not a fox firewall in those pics...
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
Engine:
Fenderwell CAI
65mm TB
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake
u/d pulleys
a/c delete
smog delete
EGR delete
solid motor mounts
180* T-stat
14* Timing and 93 Octane

Trans:
T5 World Class
Pro 5.0 shifter
stock clutch setup
BBK quadrant, cable, and adjuster
double hump-crossmember
Custom 1 piece steel driveshaft

Exhaust:
BBK 1&5/8" shorties
Mac or H-pipe
Dynomax catback

Suspension:
Energy Suspension front control arm bushings
CHE lower rear control arms
CHE upper rear control arms
Hawk HPE Street front pads
Akurei14

Postby Dereck » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Phoenix

phoenix wrote:I want to know EVERYTHING!!! Details, please!!! How, when, why, and how has it worked out for you so far?

How? - I don't know I didn't do it.
When? - June 1992
Why? - Progress I suppose
How has it worked out? - Pretty good for the last 185,000 miles until the headgasket started to seep a lttle.

Akurei14 wrote:And that doesn't appear to be a mark VII..

Hi Akurei14

It's not, it's a Town Car

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:04 am

LMAO, I walked into that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image

phoenix

Postby Mater » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 pm

It was cold outside today so I was going through some pictures on the Computer & found these. I thought I'd share & revive this Thread again.

This is the '89 Bill Blass we picked up last August. Everything I can find on this one is Motorcraft except the Oil Filter, it was a NAPA 1515 (made by WIX) & I'm happy it was there. The other exception was the brand new NAPA 7565 Battery, another good thing as I've had good luck over the year’s w/NAPA Batteries. The Spark Plug wires are even dated "1989"!

You'll notice the Air Dryer Top/Cover is missing but it's in the trunk. The previous owner's Son-in-Law thought a line was leaking & never replaced it after he went looking under there. The L-F Air Bag was the culprit & was leaking off at the fold. I've since repaired the Bag & all has been good since. Here she is the day we brought her home:

In this one, you'll see the Air Box/Intake has been removed, cleaned & replaced, it now has a K&N Filter installed. You'll also notice all the grime on the Teves Reservoir & Valve Cover. The Lid was not screwed on properly & the Brake Fluid sloshed around & the dust/dirt collected on it. All the road debris plus the 4 years it sat in the barn had accumulated to make this mess:

After a nice pre-soak w/Windex, I got the Power Washer out & after a short drip-dry, I ended up w/this:

You can see how the Hood/Fender Rubbers have a White look to them. I'm assuming the Lincoln shop where it was serviced had put White Lithium Grease on them to keep them pliable. It's on the Door Hinges, Latches & a bunch of stuff on this car...I like it! You'll also see the Teves Reservoir is all cleaned up w/ALL the Label STILL intact! I won't touch it out of fear I'll smear the lettering. This Spring I'll get this one back out & do some detailing under the Hood. I can tell you that all the Radiator Core Support/Fender/Firewall "lack of shine" will match the rest of it easily. I wiped a few places off to check & can't wait to get busy under there! Here's the other side of the Engine Bay:

If you look close, you can see a toothpick stuck into the Power Steering Fluid Cap. I put this in there so I didn't get water in the freshly flushed Reservoir. I forgot about it & when I backed the car out of the garage & turned the Wheel, I/we heard a pop. I stopped, popped the Hood & noticed the Cap was gone! I looked under the Car & there it was right under the Tire about to get crushed had I kept moving. The toothpick was still in it! I guess the O-Ring still has a good seal to the Reservoir. As I turned the Wheel, the Fluid was displaced w/air & the pressure built up in the Reservoir & the Cap blew off!

Hope you enjoyed the Engine Bay of my '89 Bill Blass!

Later.....Mater
ImageImage

Airborne All the Way!

'89 LSC - Dark Canyon Red Metallic Clearcoat - 3rd owner Nov '95

'90 LSC SE - Electric Currant Red Metallic Clearcoat- 3rd owner Aug '10

'88 LSC - Light Titanium Pearl Metallic - 3rd owner Nov '10

'89 Bill Blass - Midnight Currant Red Pearl Metallic Clearcoat - 2nd Owner Aug '11
Mater

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Very nice Mater, a great original look.

You might try engine degreaser next time, that is the mildest cleaner generally. I like to avoid scrubbing under the hood, the engine degreaser does a fine job for the most part, spray wait and spray. Take the distributor cover off and separately clean that with a harsh cleaner, like wheel cleaner. That brown staining should come off. Regards,
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:12 pm

WOW! Talk about a guy that has EVERYTHING!!!! Dereck has an air conditioning compressor work stand! :shock:

COOL! :lol: ;)

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Mater wrote:... If you look close, you can see a toothpick stuck into the Power Steering Fluid Cap. ...

Very cool story!

You now have experience with our power steering caps. They work like PCV valves :)

Thank you for sharing!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Akurei14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
Engine:
Fenderwell CAI
65mm TB
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake
u/d pulleys
a/c delete
smog delete
EGR delete
solid motor mounts
180* T-stat
14* Timing and 93 Octane

Trans:
T5 World Class
Pro 5.0 shifter
stock clutch setup
BBK quadrant, cable, and adjuster
double hump-crossmember
Custom 1 piece steel driveshaft

Exhaust:
BBK 1&5/8" shorties
Mac or H-pipe
Dynomax catback

Suspension:
Energy Suspension front control arm bushings
CHE lower rear control arms
CHE upper rear control arms
Hawk HPE Street front pads
Akurei14

Postby Florida Mark VII » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Didnt clean it up befor i took pics.
Florida Mark VII

Postby TitaniumLSC » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 am

1992 Lincoln LSC. A9P MAF conversion, Cobra U/L intake, Professional Products 65mm TB, 255 Walbro, 30lb FRPP Injectors, Powerdyne BD-11 on 8lbs, Pypes 1&5/8 shortys, O/R H-Pipe, EGR delete, E-fan conversion, MSD ignition, T-5 swap, FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch, Steeda clutch kit, Trac-Lok 4.10, 275 Nitto Drag Radials
2002 F150 SCab Lariat FX4. 18" Welds, 36x15.50 Mickey Thompsons, Fabtech, Mag Hytec, Detroit, Gotts, Edge, PowerStop, Yukon, DDMTunung
2000 Tahoe Z71. Daily beater, 280k miles, 285s, HIDs.
TitaniumLSC

Postby Dereck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:WOW! Talk about a guy that has EVERYTHING!!!! Dereck has an air conditioning compressor work stand! :shock:

COOL! :lol: ;)

Hi Art

:lol: Every shop should have one, sure does make it easy to pull a clutch!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 1slowmark » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:42 am

1988 bill blass 89k miles

1slowmark

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:00 am

Dude! Start buying him tools NOW! :lol: ;)

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby Stargazer LSC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I got bored:

Slowly but surely...

Done! I plan to do the grille jewel in the same color as the body too.
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma" (R.I.P.)
Stargazer LSC

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 am

Unique!

I like!

You can do a lot with a non Black Mark VII!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:16 am

1986 Bill Blass. All original except for the alternator (Even the serpentine belt & spark plugs/wires are the originals) :

A new serpentine belt, battery (the correct one), air filter element, and about 5 hours of cleaning & detail:

This is what a bone stock '86 Bill Blass engine bay looked like as it rolled off of the Wixom line.

Art :D

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

PreviousNext

Return to Engine Bay