Harmonic Balancer replacement

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Harmonic Balancer replacement

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Does anyone have a write up or have suggestions on replacing the harmonic balancer? I thought it was plug and play but the instructions are giving the "we don't want to get sued because of your stupidity" threatening documentation. So I thought I had better ask for some tips before I jump in head first.

I can't seem to find in my service manual. I guess I will start research on the web and see what I find.

Anyone?
Last edited by White Lincoln on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: Harmonic Balancer replacement

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

I changed mine right on the car with no big issues except for breaking the bolt loose. All I did was remove the serpentine belt pulley, remove the harmonic balancer bolt and install a puller.

Replacement was simply checking that the key was properly installed in the slot on the crankshaft and installing the balancer. As long as you don't use a puller on the O.D of the balancer, it's really not a big deal. You must use the pulley bolt holes to attach the puller.

Of course, all due cautions and reasonable procedures apply, like lightly greasing the nose of the balancer so it doesn't screw up the front engine seal, and replacing the seal while you are there... etc... You know; All the regular stuff.

As I said, I ~did~ have a helluva time getting the crankshaft bolt loose, so I used two pieces of 1" X 1/4" flat bar about 24"long and drilled a hole in each end of both pieces. I then bolted one end of each bar together (loosely) forming a "V" or protractor kinda' thing, then bolted the other ends to two opposing pulley mounting bolt holes on the balancer. This gave me a handle to keep the engine from turning as I used a big a$$ breaker bar on the crank bolt. I also used it for installation after I sucked the pulley in with the bolt, washer and an impact, then threw the "V" tool in the bottom of the roll away for future use.

Other than making the "V" tool, the whole thing took about an hour.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks Art, but before I read your reply, I got it pulled with no issues. Puller bolts (2) to the harmonic balancer and pressure bolt goes against the crank shaft where the harmonic balancer bolt mounts to. Turn clockwise until the harmonic balancer comes off.

Just to mention to everyone, the easiest way to break the bolt on the balancer is to use a breaker bar and socket and bump the engine.

Belt must be on with all pullys.
1) Disconnect the coil to distributor.
2) Place the socket and breaker bar on the harmonic balancer and lay rest the end of the breaker bar on the ground of the DRIVERS side.
3) Bump the engine.
4) Pull the breaker bar and see if the nut is loose.
5) If the nut is not loose, repeat steps 2) - 4).
(Thanks to Chris (pkrwud) on MustangWorks for the tip on how to remove the harmonic balancer bolt.
http://forums.mustangworks.com/f8/cr...-removal-6483/ )
Last edited by White Lincoln on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Next question, since you mentioned it...

How do you remove and replace the seal?

Do I need to drain the oil (I doubt it but I thought I would ask)?
Do I just pull the seal out with a small hook?

Do I replace the seal with a peice of pipe suitable for the size of the seal?

This is what I am guessing. Any tips would be appreciated.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Finding a seal is becoming bit of a problem. Not many in town and if they are here, they are expensive.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby gadget73 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:43 pm

You can carefully use a chisel to get the seal out. The key is carefully, do not hammer against the timing cover. There is a special tool to pull these if you can find it. It looks like two halves of a circle with a funnel in the middle. The ramped funnel part goes under the lip on the seal and you crank the bolts to draw it out of the cover. Its one of the two on the upper right side of the pic

I've never used one of those, and I don't know anyone who has one so no clue how well they work.

When the new seal goes on, pack the back side of it with wheel bearing grease to keep the garter spring in place, and lightly coat the snout on the balancer where it slides into the seal so it doesn't go on dry. Also, a small dab of black RTV in the keyway groove on the balancer will pretty much kill any chance of oil seeping around the keyway to leak out of the front of the balancer. You can tap the seal in using a block of wood and a hammer. Just don't pound the thing to death, it is going into an aluminum cover. Make sure the crankshaft is clean and maybe wipe a bit of clean wd40 or similar on it before sliding the balancer in to crank it on. You don't want a piece of dirt between the crank and the balancer or it becomes a huge PITA to install it. If you can, sit the new balancer in the sun so it gets good and hot while you work. It will make it go on easier. You can usually pull the balancer on using the crank bolt, provided it makes at least 6 full turns before contacting the balancer. If you don't have good thread engagement, it will just rip the threads out of the end of the crank and then you're SOL.

Surprised you can't find the front seal. Ford used that same seal for at least 40 years. 'course I've never bought just the seal, it was always in an engine kit or in a timing cover set.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:08 am

The set above is cool if you have one, (which I don't) but similar to gadget, I use a screwdriver and lightly tap it under the lip, carefully working my way around several times working it slowly out a bit more at every pass, slightly twisting the screwdriver as I go around. I usually just carefully drive the seal back in with a large deep socket or tube. I always use Permatex Aviation on the exterior of the seal prior to installation.

I too, find it hard to believe that SOMEONE doesn't have the seal. It was used on EVERYTHING form cars to trucks to tractors! Heck sakes, they probably used them on Ford Lawn mowers!

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:they probably used them on Ford Lawn mowers!Art

Ford didn't make a lawn mower! :lol:

Anyway, O'wankers had the seal. Noted that is was for models from 1956 to 2003.

Anyway, I pulled mine last night. Autozone no longer carries the seal puller nor did O'wankers have one. I used a screwdriver to wedge the edge up, then a chisle and hammer to push the edge up and then hammer that part to push the seal out of its socket. I then used a small set of locking pliers to clamp on the seal and pulled it out.

I think the seal has been leaking for a long time. The rack and oil pan is coated with greasy goo. Yeah.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby eightlives » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 pm

White Lincoln wrote:

Ford didn't make a lawn mower! :lol:

eightlives

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:38 pm

White Lincoln wrote:

Ford didn't make a lawn mower! :lol: .....

They Didn't?

A dollar to a donut says that THIS one uses the same seal!

Art :D :lol: :mrgreen:

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I knew that. I was just seeing if you knew that I knew that you may not know that I knew that they made one. :shock:
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 pm

White Lincoln wrote:I knew that. I was just seeing if you knew that I knew that you may not know that I knew that they made one. :shock:

I really wasn't sure, but I didn't know if you were sure that I wasn't sure that I knew that you were sure that I wasn't, but now I am! :mrgreen:

I was pretty sure though... :lol:

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:
White Lincoln wrote:I knew that. I was just seeing if you knew that I knew that you may not know that I knew that they made one. :shock:

I really wasn't sure, but I didn't know if you were sure that I wasn't sure that I knew that you were sure that I wasn't, but now I am! :mrgreen:

I was pretty sure though... :lol:

:lol:

You're a funny guy Art.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Back at ya! :lol:

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:06 am

Well, the seal is in and we will see if royally f***ed it up or not. Damn thing would not go in. I used a simlar sized socket and everything. THen I just took a soft rubber hammer and beat it on.

Got the harmonic balancer on as well even though directions say not to use the bolt the feed the balancer on and should use a tool otherwise it might not seat correctly. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, the A/C clutch, fan blade and harmonic balancer/seal are all on. I will try it tomorrow then start on the exhaust replacement. Yes, the fraken parts finally came and now I can start on them. I sprayed them all with clear engine paint and I want to see if it helps preserve the outside metal a little longer. Or maybe the paint will just peel off, who knows. I'm such the optimist.

Here's some pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 am

Great pics!
Glad you got it together!

Art :D

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Return to Engine Bay