Smog pump noise

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Smog pump noise

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Now that I replaced the A/C clutch cause it was making some serious noise, I am hearing the smog pump for the first time.

And its kinda noisey. It's new, about a year old.

Is this common for the pump to be noisey?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: Smog pump noise

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 am

The pump is not exactly quiet, but it shouldn't stand out if... say .... you are standing in front of the car with the hood closed. When the dump valve (or bypass valve) at the pump is open, it sounds off a bit.... kind of a very rapid-fire puff, puff, puff. It shouldn't draw your attention though, unless you are listening for noise with a sharp ear.

I don't hear any of mine, but I've been listening to these engines for so long, I might just be "tuning them out".

The pump is a vane type pump which is simply a bunch of fiber paddles being spun by a rotor with slots in it. When the pump grenades a paddle, it makes quite a bit of noise while running. There is also a couple of bearings. That's a completely different sound, but other than the belt tension, there isn't any pressure on the bearings so they hold up pretty well.

I think I've had to replace one pump out of my 7 Fords that run 'um, in the last 10 years! It started making "crunchy" noises. It scrambled a vane. <shrug>
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:07 am

I had to replace mine last year because just 'locked up' coming up the on ramp to the freeway. I told this tale on here last year...

I have to wonder if its just a cheap pump and didn't last a year.

Kinda sounds like a tapping noise, sounds worse when I look under the front end and to the area of the pump. Guess I am being real anal here, but hey, the Town Car is sooo quite. All I hear on that engine is the quiet tapping of the valves.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby gadget73 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I found that the horrible jackhammer noise coming from mine was just the pump discharging air through the muffler. Try unhooking vacuum from the pump to see if the noise goes away. If it does, its probably normal.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks gadget.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Return to Engine Bay