Cleaning up the intake parts.

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Re: Cleaning up the intake parts.

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Loving the choice of color for the INTAKE! Nice job!

I went with OEM color...

White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Nice work Guys!

Thanks for the pictures and the descriptions!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am

Just make sure the throttle blade sits relatively tight to the throttle body. Not sure exactly where it normally closes relative to the ridge you removed, but if there is a gap around the blade where there was not one previously, you'll have high idle problems.

If you want to get fancier with it, bolt the throttle body, egr spacer, and upper intake together and have a look at the wonderful port alignment in those pieces. I'm sure correcting those issues can't hurt much. If you have access to a lower intake, those have a lot of potential gain from porting them.

http://www.diyporting.com/intake_manifold.html

mostly you'd want to work on the outermost runners to try and even up the flow in the intake. That stock lower is a real choke point.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

I would wait until buying a better intake. Honestly the HO intake isn't worth spending any time on it at all. I've got an Explorer intake(GT40) on my 347 and the lower is ported. I learned after committing to that intake that it's also too small for a 347.

It's best to begin with a proper sized intake before doing any work to one.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm

for a stock motor, a ported HO lower will move more air than the heads will, so its good enough in that spot. You can do better, but if its a matter of having more available time than cash, porting it can give you fair results.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby phoenix » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:39 pm

CDW6212R wrote:I would wait until buying a better intake. Honestly the HO intake isn't worth spending any time on it at all. I've got an Explorer intake(GT40) on my 347 and the lower is ported. I learned after committing to that intake that it's also too small for a 347.

It's best to begin with a proper sized intake before doing any work to one.

Eh, personally I just couldn't stand the faded color of my stock HO one. After talking things over with Scott I've decided on waiting until this engine runs its course which after all the work done to it should still be a while, and then building a GT40 one. I will stick with Speed Density, too. We'll toss in an Explorer or a Cobra upper then of course, and a different throttle body.

By the time this is being done I should have a permanent job. At this point in time it really is not yet clear what state I will end up living in. The emissions laws will then determine if I'm gonna lose the cats and all the smog pump stuff... Less restricted headers goes without saying of course. All of that alone should make her move, and since this is never going to be a race car, I think it will make her move fast enough for me. :D
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:47 pm

The stock engine is good and reliable, and the minor upgrades do help a lot. I'd look forward to getting together with some of the other members, and some day get a ride in a 347 car, or at least one with aftermarket heads and intake. 50-100hp can make a world of difference. ;)
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine Bay