NAPA Smog pump

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

NAPA Smog pump

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:35 pm

I was on my third smog pump from NAPA and had enough. The darn pumps started out fine but after time, the started making a lot of noise, more than a pump should. After listeing to Shines engine with the original pump and ... NO NOISE coming from it, I made up my mind to get my money back from NAPA.

They did the refund and I bought the suggested bypass belt (http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00069.html) to just see how the car would ride/ handle with out the pump.

I have to go to the yard again this weekend and return a grill and I will pick up a used pump to have in case I need one again.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: NAPA Smog pump

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 am

Sorry to read about the repeated bad experience. It has been proven that we can get a bad LOT of certain items from the same store (ie voltage regulators).

Does NM require an emissions test to pass inspection? I ask because we here in PA and the other unfortunate owners in NH, CT, MA, and of course CA, have to have these pumps.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby bigmark303 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 am

Ive had plenty of bad experience with NAPA. Anything like those parts that are rebuilt usually are junk because of the rebuild quality. I first buy Ford and then if I cant I have come to trust Advance Auto Parts over NAPA, Autozone, Allied, or any other.

If you are legally allowed to bypass the pump I would as it is really just something else to work around in the engine bay, and it wont hurt your converters much not having it.
bigmark303

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 am

oldschool1 wrote:Sorry to read about the repeated bad experience. It has been proven that we can get a bad LOT of certain items from the same store (ie voltage regulators). Does NM require an emissions test to pass inspection? I ask because we here in PA and the other unfortunate owners in NH, CT, MA, and of course CA, have to have these pumps.

Fortunately, my county does not at this time, hence the use of the bypass belt. I have yet to drive the car to see what I may notice in a difference.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

bigmark303 wrote:Ive had plenty of bad experience with NAPA. Anything like those parts that are rebuilt usually are junk because of the rebuild quality. I first buy Ford and then if I cant I have come to trust Advance Auto Parts over NAPA, Autozone, Allied, or any other.

If you are legally allowed to bypass the pump I would as it is really just something else to work around in the engine bay, and it wont hurt your converters much not having it.

Yes, my rear brake pads I got from NAPA are crap. They squeal and make noises all the time. I have done plenty of brakes and these are the worse so far. I may take those back too. Not sure where the warranty is at this point though.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 am

After returning the smog pump to NAPA, I knew I needed another one just in case. So I went to the yard, found one just hanging on the side of the engine bay only held on by the intake tube, took it home, cleaned it up and called it George. Then I could not stand the smell of my exhaust so I put this one in and fired up the engine. None of the three NAPA pumps sounded as quiet as this one.

I am a happy guy, except for the gash on mforeheadad where a wrench fell down from above and landed square between the eyes.

Needless to say it was a bloody mess and hurts like hell. But my pump is quiet and exhadoesn'tsn't stink anymore!
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 pm

So far, I'm running two lifetime pumps from Autozone. (Perhaps Autolite or Duralast (?)) They are dead quiet. I'm personally not a big NAPA fan, although they are pretty good with bulk agricultural fluids and hydraulic oils, particularly in the Los Angeles area. Here in Idaho, we can get tractor oils in the tractors and farm supplies isle of the grocery store! :lol:

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby White Lincoln » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:52 pm

You're such a farmer now Art...
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 pm

White Lincoln wrote:You're such a farmer now Art...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYiWgsmxOTo
:lol:

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:49 am

artbaileyjr wrote:... Here in Idaho, we can get tractor oils in the tractors and farm supplies isle of the grocery store! :lol:

Art

Here in Pennsylvania, we can get Prozac in the cold and flu isle of the grocery store! :lol:

JD

I look forward to having to purchase a smog pump from AutoZone. I have three on the floor in the shop. Do they work? ~idunno~ but I have three :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 am

White Lincoln wrote:After returning the smog pump to NAPA, I knew I needed another one just in case. So I went to the yard, found one just hanging on the side of the engine bay only held on by the intake tube, took it home, cleaned it up and called it George. Then I could not stand the smell of my exhaust so I put this one in and fired up the engine. None of the three NAPA pumps sounded as quiet as this one.

I am a happy guy, except for the gash on mforeheadad where a wrench fell down from above and landed square between the eyes.

Needless to say it was a bloody mess and hurts like hell. But my pump is quiet and exhadoesn'tsn't stink anymore!

CONGRATULATIONS!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:59 am

artbaileyjr wrote:
White Lincoln wrote:You're such a farmer now Art...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYiWgsmxOTo
:lol:

I'm only four years late but this is funny!

I like Car Car, Engine Bays.

Dude needs to do some detailing on that tractor :lol:
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Funny guys, real funny... :lol:
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Uhmmm.... So do ya' wanna do a little trading?

ImageImage

:lol: :mrgreen: :D

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 am

artbaileyjr wrote:Uhmmm.... So do ya' wanna do a little trading?

ImageImage

:lol: :mrgreen: :D

Art

Geez Art, getting ready for winter? :o :lol:
(after 2 feet of snow for a week, I'd need some prozac too...)
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 am

Question:
Does anyone know the length of the cerp belt we use? I found a belt in my garage and I don't know if its for the Mark, Cougar or Town car. No markings on it.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Latest:
Well, after losing a serpentine belt to stupidity, I got the pump on and working again. I am much happier and the car is too. Found I did two stupid things while investigating the pump problem.

1) When placing the air pump back on the mounts, make sure the top bolt is actually GOING THRU THE PUMP! I found I missed the pump and it was being held only by the bottom bolt. Hence, when you accelerate, the torque/tension pulls the pump forward and the belt comes off and makes a mess.

2) When the power steering pump is whining, don't write it off as "that year was crap anyway", check the fluid level.

Why did I put the pump back on? I could not stand the smell coming out of the exhaust without the pump to recirculate it. So a word to those that want to pull the pump, you will have more of an odor coming out the rear end and the belt that is suggested for the bypass is actually a bit too small and really pulls the tensioner to its limits.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:08 am

Congratulations on your results!

"Expearence is the abillity to reconise a misteak befor you mak it agan."

You now have experience with our smog pumps.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine Bay