1986 Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

1986 Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

Postby aioff » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm posting from my laptop at the car - so any immediate help would be PERFECT.

I was driving down a nice BUMPY country road and my fuel pump has cut out. I looked for the nice big red inertia switch next to my suspension switches (The air suspension has been replaced by a previous owner) and I could NOT find it. I may be blind, but is there anyplace else it might be?

I can hear a relay but not the fuel pump like I normally do. So I am hoping this is IT. Thanks in advance!
aioff

Re: 1986 Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

The inertia switch is located in the trunk to the left side of the left trunk hinge.

Sorry for the late reply.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby aioff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I'll need to post a picture of what I've got in that spot. It's a weird white "switch" (I guess) that has a square plastic piece that appears to have two positions. It's currently in the down position but it just doesn't look like any switch I've seen (or the one you posted).

Late was right on time. I was just starting my vacation so I ended up towing her to a family members house and letting the car sit until today when I get a ride over there.
aioff

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Psst, hit it with a hammer, that'll fix it(sarcasm). When you find it just push your finger down into it to be sure the "plunger" is down.

:idea: Hmm, those would make a cool anti-theft device if you could mount it where you could smack it to cut the power, and reach it to push the plunger back down.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 pm

aioff wrote:I'll need to post a picture of what I've got in that spot. It's a weird white "switch" (I guess) that has a square plastic piece that appears to have two positions. It's currently in the down position but it just doesn't look like any switch I've seen (or the one you posted).

Late was right on time. I was just starting my vacation so I ended up towing her to a family members house and letting the car sit until today when I get a ride over there.

I think you found the suspension switch. It's a rocker switch. The fuel reset is a push button (red, I believe) and it's just torward the front of the car from the rocker (suspension) switch. It's back in a hole in the carpet and a tad difficult to see without sticking your body in the trunk.

If you fliped the suspension switch, your "Check Suspension" light will be on, and your air suspension will be disabled. You use that switch when tire work or under-car service is being done, particularly if jacking or putting the car on a lift.

'Ya might want to take a second look. :shock:

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 am

What Art said.

Rectangular opening = suspension switch

Circular opening = fuel pump inertia switch

Since you have a pre 1988, it could be your TFI module. Have you tried starting it since the power outage?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Addendum: You stick your finger in the hole, and push downward. The surface of the button is horizontal, and it operates vertically. You ~cant~ really see the top of the button, but you can feel it with your finger.
It's somewhat confusing, unless you've done it before.

also +1 with Oldschool. The TFI is notorious for failure, particularly if it's the original. This is indicative of a no-spark condition or intermittent engine stalling.
Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby aioff » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:56 pm

The switch I found was the inertia switch. Just not red or round. White and square... however, can someone direct me to the exact location of the fuel pump relay? :D
aioff

Postby K MANIAC » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 pm

aioff wrote:The switch I found was the inertia switch. Just not red or round. White and square... however, can someone direct me to the exact location of the fuel pump relay? :D

You will find the fuel pump relay in the trunk, tucked up under the package shelf, to the left of the left trunk hinge, to the front of (or behind as you look at it) the interia relay. It is the green relay that I am holding in my hand in the picture below.

Yes, I tore apart my car JUST FOR YOU! :shock: :o ...but don't feel guilty. :D :lol:
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Spoken like a true Lincoln enthusiast ... who also knows how to put it back together!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine Bay