Pack Rats (literally)

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Pack Rats (literally)

Postby Hawksj » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm

I have, in the past 10 years or so, had at least two pack rats take up residence in the engine bay of my '86 LSC - both times in exactly the same spot. There is a 4" hole next to the air filter that opens a fairly large (and, apparently, cozy) opening above the right fender.

This car is always garaged in a "relatively" pest-free environment (I've never seen anything else in there except for spiders), and the two rats were separated by at least five years. It's as if there's a little "Route 66" style sign under the car that says - in pack rat language - "Hey, climb up the right front tire and you'll find a cozy little apartment".

That is such a crazy coincidence that surely other Mark VII owners have experienced such a thing.
Hawksj

Re: Pack Rats (literally)

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Too funny!
(Well not really funny, but the way you wrote about it made me chuckle.) :lol:
BTW, I have never had any rodent issues in any of my Marks, as far as I know. <gulp> :shock:

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 pm

hehehe
Yup. The way you wrote it is VERY funny.

After parting out three cars, we discovered one became the temporary shelter for non rent paying residents in more than one location.

It's time to either close the hole or seal the garage or purchase the plug and play sonic rodent doodad or buy a cat.

I'm against poisoning because critters never conveniently die in open graves.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Florida Mark VII » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Lol now that you minsion it. the white mark I just bought when we where looking at it ,it was raining. My friend kinda jumped I was looking at him weard, then I noticed the a rat was sticking his head out . A rather big one. He had a nest in the same spot you talked about. found out he had one in the other fender to. sorry to say I kicked him out at the guys yard i bought the car from. It was well worth just seeing my friend jump. thankfully the only thing the rat did was chewed the red and green vacum lines and the under hood light cord nothing else .
Florida Mark VII

Postby brent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 am

That's funny.. I picked up a white '89 LSC parts car that had a rather large rat it that same place. The dirty rat ate some rather crucial wiring. Glad it was just a parts car.
Brent
First in Southern California
1987 LSC 347 stroker. Watts link, modified suspension, modified wide ratio transmission (By Don Richardson), 373 gears, custom interior.
2002 Explorer XLT
2001 Ranger XLT
1991 LSC with 50,000 miles
brent
Chapter Coordinator, California

Postby FredK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 am

I found a mouse had made my blower motor its home and packed it with nesting material what a mess... another made a small nest on top of the engine. Neither did any damage for wire chewing. Now when I store it for the winter I place dryer sheets everywhere, I got the tip from some RVers who use the sheet in their RVs when in storage.
FredK

Postby thunderjet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 pm

How are you guys getting rats in your garage? Figure that out first and then they won't be able to get to your car ;). I store my Thunderbird over the winter in my garage and I've never had a problem with rats, mice, or other critters taking up residence. Just make sure there aren't any holes in your garage for rats to get in and you'll be fine.
1988 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70mm TB, 80mm PMAS slot MAF, 30lb injectors, Comp 266HR cam, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, FRPP shorty headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI Stallion converter, 3.73 Traction-Lok.
Other rides: 2011 Focus in blue flame, 2012 Mustang 3.7 in grabber blue, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
thunderjet

Postby LINKEN 1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 am

Why do mice love these cars? my gold 89 LSC sounded like somebody threw a potatoe in the blower motor + then they took up residence in the right side kick panel. My 90 Bill Blass, the headliner was full of mouse stuff. The titainiam LSC is mouse free so far!
1989 LSC Dark Titainiam
1955 Lincoln Capri 4dr 341cu in
1966 Rambler Classic 770 wagon
LINKEN 1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 am

Yep, not funny when rodents take residence any thing that is yours. I had a similar issue with squirrals. They would hang out in the engine bay and eat seeds and crap on the engines of my cars if I parked on the west side of the house.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sir Tonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 pm

There had definitely been one in the blower motor in my car. Bunch of nesting stuffed into the heater core box and the fan had been broken by a collection of nuts that were still bouncing around in there. After an hour of intense vacuuming and a new fan (man, it's hard to find a reverse rotation unit), the heater core is mostly clean and the AC is quiet yet again.
Sir Tonk

Return to Engine Bay