Vacuum lines

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Vacuum lines

Postby White Lincoln » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I would like to change out my vacuum lines. Any idea WHAT kind of vacuum lines I should get? Which ones can be used for the intake lines, the smog pump lines and the canister lines? I don't want to use fuel line for everything but want to make sure I use vacuum lines made for engine heat and tolerant to gasoline, oil and other chemicals.

I see a lot of "defroster" hose in the parts store; will this work for vacuum lines?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Re: Vacuum lines

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Here is what I have so far and am compiling a list of what parts need what hoses.

Hose Sizes : 3/8”, 1/4", 5/16", 5/8"
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby IndyDave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 pm

I'll be lurking on this thread hoping to poach some info on the subject! ;)
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 am

I went to Autozone and got a 1/4", 3/8" and 5'16" hoses to see what would fit. This won't be easy. I need bigger ones too.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Found this article searching through vacuum issues:

"Vacuum pump
My personal favorite if you have the tool. I like to take each individual vacuum line off of the intake manifold and pull it down to 30 mm HG of vacuum and then leave it there for around a minute. If the line holds, then I move on to the next. Not only is this method incredibly accurate, it can find even the smallest of leaks that you didn’t even know you had. Many times I find a leak and fix it, only to find that it didn’t cure my original problem. Meaning the leak was so small that I couldn’t notice it, but I feel that keeping a motors intake tract nice and tight is the best thing for any motor. "

I never knew how to use a vacuum pump nor did I research how. This gave me a start on how to use one.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Ba ... asics.html
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby pkv88mkvii » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 pm

White Lincoln wrote:I went to Autozone and got a 1/4", 3/8" and 5'16" hoses to see what would fit. This won't be easy. I need bigger ones too.

You probably won't have a vaccuum line bigger than 3/8. You will need some smaller than 1/4. For the 5/16 and 3/8 (and even the 1/4 if you're ok with the look) fuel hose wouldn't be a bad idea. It will outlast vaccuum hose as far as breaking down and crumbling and is more resistant to collapsing.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

pkv88mkvii wrote:
White Lincoln wrote:I went to Autozone and got a 1/4", 3/8" and 5'16" hoses to see what would fit. This won't be easy. I need bigger ones too.

You probably won't have a vaccuum line bigger than 3/8. You will need some smaller than 1/4. For the 5/16 and 3/8 (and even the 1/4 if you're ok with the look) fuel hose wouldn't be a bad idea. It will outlast vaccuum hose as far as breaking down and crumbling and is more resistant to collapsing.

The problem I had with the fuel line is it gets rather rigid over time where heater hose or defroster hose line stay more plyable. For the most part, use heater hose when there is coolant involved, fuel line when there is petrolium products present and defroster or wiper hose for vacuum line. Otherwise, you can use Fuel line for everything.

Thanks PK for your input, comment well taken.

There are a couple vacuum lines larger than 5/16". More to come.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

I'm one of those guys that periodically walks into the parts store and says "Give me three feet of every size and type of hose (except for fuel injection hose) that you have in bulk."

The cost is not that substantial, but it all gets used eventually. I admit... I have several pieces of hose that have lived on the shelf for a couple of years, but for the most part, it all gets used. When I run short on one size, I simply buy another three feet.

To me, It's just allot cheaper and more handy to keep the stuff around than to make continuous runs to the parts store.

That's just how I do it...

(reference image)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Return to Engine Bay