Cover recommendations

preparation, wax removal, washing, sealing, waxing, detailing

Cover recommendations

Postby Geordie92LSC » Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Apologies if there is a specific thread for this already, but I couldn't see one.

I keep my LSC outside (I know it's not ideal, but UK garages just weren't built for these cars!) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a quality outdoor cover - there are so many to choose from, thought I would make use of your experience.

I've got a '92 LSC, and I'm in the UK.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Geordie92LSC
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Cover recommendations

Postby 2manymarks » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 am

Yeah, John, very subtle! 8-)
As of July2017,[code][/code] 11Mark[*] VII's, 3licensed for the road:
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock99k.
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs airsuspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 LSCMedium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB(8T)stock125k(wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L)stock(miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L)107k(2.73rear)
1984 TurboDiesel Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby gun dawg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey Geordie,
Don't put a cover on that car, no matter how great the cover claims to be. Dirt will find it's way under the cover. Wind (no matter how gentle or fierce) will always move the cover. Now you have a great sanding machine at work. My Wolf cover took the chrome off my Corvette's luggage carrier. Since I'm stupid, I again used a cover on my 1990 Lincoln LSC SE. It took the clear coat off and some of the paint. Garage your car or leave it in the open with nothing overhead (like trees). Tint the windows for sun protection for the interior. Sun tears up the dash and fades the leather. Cheers.
gun dawg

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 pm

I agree with part of your methods.

PINKIN lives in a garage under the cover shown above. If PINKIN is to be out in the elements (like four days at the Carlisle Ford Nationals) then the cover is used sparingly. Since it is a ~fitted~ cover, movement is minimal when on the show field and non existent in the garage.

If there is a possibility of the cover becoming a sail <g> that's when the rubber bungies across the bottom come into play.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Do you mean that PINKIN will fly?

Do tint the windows too, ... all of them, all of them. Factory tint does not block UV rays, none. The windshield is where most sunlight comes through to ruin a dash. Tint the windshield also, shops all have a virtually clear tint. They call it a 90% or close to that, but also ask them what the light transmission is for untinted glass. Most people will tell you it's about 90%, so the lightest tint is about the same. You cannot tell it's there when driving the car at night, and nobody will now it unless they are looking for it, at the edges. I have it on two cars now, and plan to do the others soon. It helps slightly with glare from oncoming driver's too bright lights.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am

With regards to the movement in the cover, I would suggest that bungee straps are used with the plastic ends. I've stored a couple of trucks outside long ago. What I did was to strap down four to six sections. What I mean by that is two series in the rear, two in the middle, and two in the front. Key points is the make the vehicle is clean with wax. Another thing I suggest is the built a pad for storing the vehicle if you're not storing the vehicle in the driveway. What I mean is use some landscape fabric and stepping stones if need be. If you have the cash you could try to buy a portable shelter or tent for the car. Just make sure it is anchored down well. Hope this helps.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Do you mean that PINKIN will fly? ...

More like ... sail.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:03 pm

I have a Budge cover for now and at some point I will report back. I've had California Car Covers in the past and they're okay.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Exterior