1986 dodge ram 2500 xplorer xtra-van 222

General open questions about any and all vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, boats, planes, trains

1986 dodge ram 2500 xplorer xtra-van 222

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am

94 gt block,honed cylinders,heavily ported gt 40's,1.84 intake,1.54 exaust,motorsport f cam,1.72 cobra roller rockers,explorer upper and lower,65mm bbk throttle body,edelbrock egr spacer,73mm mass air meter,1-3/4 mac long tubes headers w/3"collectors,3" mac prochamber,2-1/2" cat back,pro flow mufflers,chrome tailpipes,t-5 conversion,king cobra clutch,custom made aluminum drive shaft,3-g alternator,electric fan,gtc front sway bar,98 cobra springs all around,chrome cobra r's 315 35 17
jason

Re: 1986 dodge ram 2500 xplorer xtra-van 222

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am

94 gt block,honed cylinders,heavily ported gt 40's,1.84 intake,1.54 exaust,motorsport f cam,1.72 cobra roller rockers,explorer upper and lower,65mm bbk throttle body,edelbrock egr spacer,73mm mass air meter,1-3/4 mac long tubes headers w/3"collectors,3" mac prochamber,2-1/2" cat back,pro flow mufflers,chrome tailpipes,t-5 conversion,king cobra clutch,custom made aluminum drive shaft,3-g alternator,electric fan,gtc front sway bar,98 cobra springs all around,chrome cobra r's 315 35 17
jason

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:54 am

jason

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 am

jason

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am

i found this van on craigslist afew weeks ago.i searched the ENTIRE north atlantic region for a camper van.i found this in norfolk va.this van has tons of work performed over the last 20 yrs(same owner!),just to mention afew:new short block w/40.000 mi installed 8 yrs ago,rebuilt rear,134a conversion.this van is very original,came with a 3 ring binder from the xplorer motor home co. welcoming me as a new owner.i have every stitch of paperwork ever generated on this van,equipment manuals,conversion manuals,dodge ram van manuals,repair receipts w/various work performed.
this van is canadian built,build date 6/86.delivered to sterling heights dodge,sterling heights,MI.once again delivered new to john w.herman marine center in stamford CT. on 10/08/1986.sold new to j.f.suarez of hicksville ny.po bought this van 20 yrs ago while living in staten island.im right across the kill van kull from staten island,so its rightfully home now.
this van sat for 2 yrs straight before the day i bought it.i was confident to drive it home.150 miles from norfolk,between richmond and DC i broke down.got a tow home from VA.voltage regulator was bad.$30.00 part and all is charging well.this is my project vehicle that i plan on taking my time with....so many upgrades planned.95 5.9L magnum engine,4+4 conversion,lift kit,it goes on and on...
jason

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 am

Xplorer Motor Homes has been in continuous production for 35 years in a rural agricultural area 75 miles north of Detroit, MI. Recent acquisition now moves the business to Elkhart, IN under the ownership of Startracks Custom Vehicles owned by Robert Helvie.

We wanted to share with our readers the history and origin of Xplorer Motor Homes. Ray Frank, a farmer in the area, began tinkering with motor homes for his family's use back in the mid-1950's.
Central Office and Manufacturing Plant in Elkhart, IN

He produced 3 or 4 coaches on his farm about 12 miles NE of Brown City, and in 1958 he got involved with a number of business owners in Brown City who collectively created an Industrial Development Corp. to financially assist Mr. Frank in launching his new enterprise, Frank Motor Homes.

Mr. Frank was vitally instrumental, from the engineering standpoint, in the development of the Dodge motor home chassis. When he began producing his Class "A" motor homes in the 1950's, the Dodge truck chassis that were available at that time were not very user-friendly for motor home products.

His alliance with Chrysler Corp. continued and grew, and eventually his coach became known as the "Dodge Motor
Home". Because of this early development, Chrysler Corp. became and remained a dominant force in the production of recreational vehicle chassis for many years. When the federal government became involved in the bail-out of Chrysler in 1979, the "Loan Guarantee Board" forced Chrysler out of the motor home chassis business.

In the early 1960's, Ray Frank began the development of fiberglass body motor homes. These huge 27' fiberglass body molds revolutionized the RV industry! Today, fiberglass is the most vital composite in our industry. Ray Frank's vision nearly 40 years ago had a dramatic impact on the RV industry as we know it today

In 1963, Mr. Frank's company was sold to two Detroit businessmen, Peter Fink and Ken Robertson, and they re-named the company and the product, "Travco". The Travco moniker was a high profile product, for many years thereafter recognized for engineering innovation and high quality.

Subsequent to his sale to Travco, Mr. Frank pursued
another vision he had for a small, self-contained, 2-person motor home. He developed and produced 7 units on a Chevrolet chassis he called Cruiseaire; however, it didn't work.

Back to the drawing board, Ray Frank expanded his idea to create a small motor home, but to make it garageable. Voila- the Xplorer 21! He created the Xplorer moniker, the company, and the product in 1967, and was off and running again. Over the course of the next 35 years, numerous models were developed; Class C's, Class A's, but primarily, Xplorer has been a Class "B" product manufacturer, number one for all of these years.

Ray Frank retired to warmer climes in the late 1970's and his family took up the operation of his company. In late 1995, the company was sold to Joe Murray and Dave Bockstanz. Joe spent all of his working life in the motor home industry, including a 12-year stint as Xplorer's National Sales Manager. Dave spent many years in the commercial furniture business, and since the early 1990's, owns and operates a full-time Chrysler and RV dealership. They are both committed to the
continued production of unique, high quality motor homes in the Xplorer tradition. The all new Xplorer "Xcursion", a 25' molded fiberglass Class "C" product, produced on a Dodge chassis/cab, is evidence of their commitment.

Xplorer Motor Homes thrives today in the true "Ray Frank" tradition! Xplorer is about longevity, engineering orientation, and high quality. Xplorer Motor Homes is also about people! The backbone of our manufacturing capability is reliant on experienced employees, engineers and designers. These people are the real key to our every unit, time after time, constant built-in quality that has created over the years tremendous owner loyalty. Many of our customers have owned multiple Xplorer models. They are the real reason for our continued prosperity!

Thank you for reviewing our Xplorer website. All of us at Xplorer Motor Homes appreciate your potential interest in one of our products, and we stand ready to assist you in any way possible. We at Starship Custom Vehicles will continue to provided superior Xcursion and Xtreme RV's, and continue to improve with the integration of newer technologies as time progresses. Thank you for reading our history!
jason

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:45 am

COOL!
I love playin' with RV's & Motorhomes, even more-so than Mark VII's. Been doing it most of my life. Been looking for another one. Somehow, they always seem to drop oudda' the sky. Someday, one will land on ME, but until then, I'll keep lookin' and playin'. Had everything from Vans, to cab-over campers, to class "A"'s to a 35' fifth wheel. (I called it the "Rolling Condo".) Unfortunately, with the tow vehicle, it was 55' overall. Too big for "Boonie campin' and ~most~ rural campgrounds.... so I sold it. I have a 22' tow behind "Ally", but I HATE tow behind's. They just suck!

That Xplorer looks like it's loaded! Nice find, Jason!

I think I'm going with a 25' class "C" this next time around. Not too big, not too small, but a van ~does~ appeal to me because of the ease of maneuverability and good ground clearance.

I like to completely re-do them and add lotsa' extra stiff as well. I've hit the "max GVW" more than once. <shrug>

I'd like to see your progress.

Keep us posted, Jason... and have fun! ;)

Art :D
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:21 pm

thanks...this van,to me atleast,screams"CHiP's.im into vintage city scapes.this van has an aftermarket tape deck.i have hundreds of tapes,and black sabbath sounds"xtra" special to me now.its like im in another place and time.... :D
jason

Postby oldschool1 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 am

Jason,
very very very nice score.
I'm ODing on nostalgia over here.

Forget the cosmetics ... take this gem BACK to route 66 my Friend ... by way of my house that is.

CONGRATULATIONS!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

Jason, You suck! :lol: I want one so bad!

I'm going to make a "show us your camper" thread.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby jason » Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 pm

:lol: rt 66 will be afew years away.that trip was expensive.i still hear about that one :) this camper van example is sooo fine,i want it right.i mean 80%factory correct(engine swap,tranny swap,lift.)i wanna get this on the show field @ carlisle.i wouldnt mind going to five guys via your house,john.warwagon,i knew you'd like it! :D
jason

Postby jason » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:COOL!
I love playin' with RV's & Motorhomes, even more-so than Mark VII's. Been doing it most of my life. Been looking for another one. Somehow, they always seem to drop oudda' the sky. Someday, one will land on ME, but until then, I'll keep lookin' and playin'. Had everything from Vans, to cab-over campers, to class "A"'s to a 35' fifth wheel. (I called it the "Rolling Condo".) Unfortunately, with the tow vehicle, it was 55' overall. Too big for "Boonie campin' and ~most~ rural campgrounds.... so I sold it. I have a 22' tow behind "Ally", but I HATE tow behind's. They just suck!

That Xplorer looks like it's loaded! Nice find, Jason!

I think I'm going with a 25' class "C" this next time around. Not too big, not too small, but a van ~does~ appeal to me because of the ease of maneuverability and good ground clearance.

I like to completely re-do them and add lotsa' extra stiff as well. I've hit the "max GVW" more than once. <shrug>

I'd like to see your progress.

Keep us posted, Jason... and have fun! ;)

Art :D

i will definitely keep posted here.
i too chose the van to boondock.other than the paint scheme,it doesnt look self contained.it doesnt have roof top air.im going to fit a household window unit out the window on the dr rear door for when i do hook up to shore power.im expecting about 11 mpg with this engine.in my 95 conversion,i got 16.5 hwy average.i really need to do better than 11 mpg if this van is gonna travel.right now,my plans include the jersey shore and the del water gap,just keeping it local.post pics of those past "rolling condo's" in the thread "show us your camper".
jason

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Jason,
Sounds like fun and I hope you have a great trip. I love to just randomly go from day to day, with no particular itinerary.

I quit taking picture of my RV's years ago, but I probably have some images at my Idaho home, to which I'll be returning within a week or two. I'll dig some out and post them when I can.
Same thing with my past cars. I just enjoyed them as I went along; Not really taking many pictures. It wasn't until I got with John Dancy that I started taking pictures of every fly speck! :lol:

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby jason » Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:Jason,
Sounds like fun and I hope you have a great trip. I love to just randomly go from day to day, with no particular itinerary.

I quit taking picture of my RV's years ago, but I probably have some images at my Idaho home, to which I'll be returning within a week or two. I'll dig some out and post them when I can.
Same thing with my past cars. I just enjoyed them as I went along; Not really taking many pictures. It wasn't until I got with John Dancy that I started taking pictures of every fly speck! :lol:

Art

remember the breakfast meeting in sun valley? you took 7 or 8 pics of me and dawn in front of the van,all in succession.ive learned to take MANY pics.a good friend once told me to "take many pictures".atleast afew will work out!
jason

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm

jason wrote:remember the breakfast meeting in sun valley? you took 7 or 8 pics of me and dawn in front of the van,all in succession.ive learned to take MANY pics.a good friend once told me to "take many pictures".atleast afew will work out!

Indeed; I remember. Those images are just about three clicks away. It was a great day! :D
And.... YOU posted some pretty awesome images of your travels on that trip. They were VERY cool! 8-)

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby jason » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 am

i did find those pics.i copied them to add to my "california dreaming" album. :D
jason

Postby Davemutt » Thu May 03, 2012 5:49 pm

I never realized they dropped the floor in those. Nice to have the headroom, but it looks like lots of places to stub your toe!
Davemutt

Postby psycodelek@adelphia.net » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Howdy jason, I just found and purchased a 1987 xplorer just like yours except it has the big barn door on the back. I dont have a manual though and I wonder if you could either sell me a copy or just post one? Mostly i need to figure out where the aux battery is and how it hooks up? I love this class B! I`ve had a lot of motorhomes and campers over the years-everything but a 5th wheel but this one is one of the best! Anyway anything you can help me with, tips etc? I would appreciate. Thanks-John
psycodelek@adelphia.net

Postby Sparkyplug » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 pm

My Dad bought a 1986 Dodge Ram 2500 Xplorer xtra-van 222 a few months ago and wants to use it to sleep in when he can't make it home on those late nights back to back with the early morning jobs. He wants me to do the work on it to fix it back to working. I am wondering what the box up above the driver passenger seat is for. His has wires cut off and I don't know if it was a clock or a switch to connect a tape player to. Jason is there any chance that you have a wiring diagram for this motor home? I also read that there is a second battery for the motor home that is separate from the engine. If there is I don't find one. What is with that? Thanks for any help.
Sparkyplug

Return to My Other Car