Common problems to look out for on a Lincoln Mark VIII?

General open questions about any and all vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, boats, planes, trains

Common problems to look out for on a Lincoln Mark VIII?

Postby MarkVII88 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Hello everyone.. it's been a while since I've been back here. As some of you may remember I lost my Mark VII LSC to a ditch coming up to a year ago now.

I now have the opportunity to buy a '94 Mark VIII. I'm just curious what to look out for if I decide to go ahead and buy it. I've already looked at the car and it runs excellent and has low millage. The only thing that really stuck out is that the dash said "Check Air Suspension." All the bags were inflated and the pump never seemed to come on when the car was running. The owner says he never drove it too much as he owns two other vehicles (insurance costs a limb here). I haven't been able to drive it around the block to see if the transmission shifts and to make sure there's no weird noises or anything as it's uninsured but I certainly will have to if I decide go ahead and buy it. I just wanted your guys advice before I do buy it as I know several of you also own a Mark VIII. Thanks for reading and any comments will be greatly appreciated.
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Re: Common problems to look out for on a Lincoln Mark VIII?

Postby K MANIAC » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:51 am

I don't know much about the Mark VIII. But I do have a few questions and comments regarding the "Check Suspension" light. Although the car seems to be riding at trim level, did you actually LOOK at the individual air springs? It could have had a coil conversion. Double check. If it is still running on air springs, check to make sure the air suspension switch is turned ON and not OFF. If all the air suspension components are there, you may need to check the electrical connections at the solenoids and level sensors, as one of them may have come loose. I am aware that the air suspension system is more complex in the VIII than it is in the VII as the VIII system uses some type of speed sensor that lowers the overall trim height at freeway speeds and raises the car higher at a stop. I vividly remember an early Mark VIII commercial where a "high jump" bar placed at the top of the windshield of a parked Mark VIII, showing roofline higher than the bar, then they drove the same car under the bar at 70 mph without touching the bar. My two cents for what its worth.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby MarkVII88 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:39 am

Yes it indeed has its air bags still. They were all inflated but I will take a closer look at them if I buy it and also make sure it is switched on. I believe the air suspension has different modes on the Mark VIII as well, though could be wrong on that. Thanks for the reply.
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Postby 2manymarks » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:27 am

MarkVII88 wrote:Yes it indeed has its air bags still. They were all inflated but I will take a closer look at them if I buy it and also make sure it is switched on. I believe the air suspension has different modes on the Mark VIII as well, though could be wrong on that. Thanks for the reply.

You might want to try over on lincolnsonline.com as they have a dedicated MarkVIII forum. 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby cfcjr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 am

Be sure to check the headlights at night. With the very narrow (stylish) headlights the heat generated from the bulb destroys the reflector, and you might as well use a candle to light the way.
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 pm

I looked at one once, the car was just to complex for me. The VII is about as techy as I want to get. Besides under the hood is a PITA to work on. They are nice cars in there own way, but when something goes wrong..... :o :shock: Sure you don't want another Mark VII? :D
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby cfcjr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

I loved my Mark VIII on the open road. It had plenty of power, was smooth as silk, and I loved the way the way it would lower itself by 1 inch at 50 MPH. However, I thought it was just too plain looking for a Mark Lincoln. I started looking for Mark VII's and found one about 30 miles from my house. That was it for me..... I gave the Mark VIII to my son and have not been without my Mark VII since.
Charlie
2013 Lincoln MKS 3200 Miles
2007 Grand Marquis LS 50,000 miles
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 145,000 miles
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 90,000 miles
1968 Cougar "XR7"
cfcjr
CLUB MEMBER

Postby MarkVII88 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:26 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:I looked at one once, the car was just to complex for me. The VII is about as techy as I want to get. Besides under the hood is a PITA to work on. They are nice cars in there own way, but when something goes wrong..... :o :shock: Sure you don't want another Mark VII? :D

Actually I do prefer the look of the Mark VII but maybe it's time for something different, certainly since I've been driving a V6 Pontiac Grand Prix GT for over a year. Had I been able to keep my totaled LSC for parts there'd be no question about it; I'd get another VII and a nicer one than I had. I won't mind the extra 55 horsepower from the VIII though. The color isn't ideal but it's a good enough deal. Probably going to go buy it tonight. :D You're right though; I won't enjoy working on it judging from what I saw when I looked under the hood!
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Postby MarkVII88 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:28 am

Well.. I'm a Lincoln owner again! She just needs new tires, a new battery, fluid changes, and very minor body work (no rust); what a good deal for $1000! Wish I could post a picture of her.. that will come later. Drove 40 or 50 miles home. Really great, powerful, and comfortable car. Like in the Mark VII you can be doing 50 miles an hour and not even realize you're speeding! A certain upgrade from the Pontiac. I have to say though that as nice as she is, she's no Mark VII.
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 am

Congratulations on the addition to the Family!

Stop in to Lincolns Of Distinction at http://lincolnsofdistinction.net/vbulletin/index.php and tell 'em that I said hello.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby MarkVII88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 am

Here's an update.. the transmission started to slip but I had the MLPS sensor replaced on the transmission and now it shifts smooth! It's a good car yet I still miss the Mark VII and the 5L engine which I believe sipped less gas! I'm thinking about putting on the '88 turbine rims from the LSC.
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Postby MarkVII88 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Oh and '88 LSC turbine rims don't fit on a Mark VIII; this was a $60+ mistake! One website I believe said the bolt pattern is the same though there is a .25" difference.
'88 LSC (totaled)
MarkVII88

Return to My Other Car