Where did you drive your Mark VII today?

Re: Where did you drive your Mark VII today?

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Haven't driven very far lately, but here's in the suburbs on Monday, celebrating the 4th of July with the family. DC got a nice highway workout of about 20 miles each way. I love vintage antennas, they're useful for flags and such. The air suspension is absolutely glorious right now, all in all it began to get great around 1500k on the bags (before then the brand new bags were very harsh) and continued to soften even more over the next 1500k.

Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 pm

You've just been through, "The Lincoln Mark VII Experience".
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

I drive mine about 40 miles each way Bronx to northern Jersey a few times a month. Gives a nice highway speed cruise sometimes at 75-80mph on the NJ Turnpike. Nice brisk drive for Ivory.

Do I sometimes worry she won't make it? Yes, but that doesn't stop me.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 am

My weekly commute to work totals 180 miles. I love driving Cosmo!
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:46 am

Some 150 miles today down and then back up I-294 to visit with friends out in the burbs. Moment of the day: my friend's friend (house owner) walks in the house and loudly announces: "okay. who's got the red Thunderbird"? :D
Image Image

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Drove Blu to the transmission shop for a service. He probably didn't need it but now I know it's changed and fresh. Also got the oil changed too, since he was up on the rack. The tech that that did the work, commented on what a beautiful car it was and that you just don't see these anymore, "a real creampuff" :lol: So I guess Blu now has graduated to "creampuff" status.... life is good 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Took the WhiteOx out of the garage today and drove to the grocery store. Though not very exciting, I did take all the back roads to make the trip a little longer. I threw a Kool and the Gang CD Into the changer for a added bit of funky-ness.... :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:20 am

I regularly make the long trip from Covington, GA to Branford' CT. It's a good 18 hours. Now it's time to replace the inner tie rods and an outer axle bearing before the next trip. Next is the gas tank, timing chain/gears and balancer. 182K on the clock, hello another 100K and fall in New England!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Since The Weather Channel forecasted no rain for a week, I drove the cars from the front of the house,

to the back of the house.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:49 am

I drove it around the outskirts of Indy and it was the first time I drove "Cosmo" a long distance. Enjoy driving him around and getting a better feel.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 am

ricardocordoba wrote:I drove it around the outskirts of Indy and it was the first time I drove "Cosmo" a long distance. Enjoy driving him around and getting a better feel.

:)
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Now that Ghost's brakes are functioning again, I can finally drive the car. Christine is in her winter hibernation, hiding from the elements and stuff. Ran Ghost for a good 2.5 hours on Wednesday to visit my dentist in the suburbs (routine maintenance, nothing bad lol). The stock suspension is so different from what I have on the other car. Sloppy yet oh so cushy. I moved the JBL amp from Christine to Ghost for now, until Paul has the time to rebuild another one. Also had to borrow Christine's IAC which works like clockwork (Ghost's unit has started to get funky). It's great to be able to just swap parts from one car to another, especially if you don't run them at the same time.

I've also been able to use up some old spares lying around. Ghost needed a new ignition coil, I had two used ones sitting in a drawer. The red '88 XR7 seats that I had in Christine prior to finding the cloth LSC buckets never got tossed away and are enjoying their 3rd life now. The cassette player (rebuilt by Paul) was briefly used by me last summer when I was experiencing CD issues. When those got resolved it went into a drawer and the CD resumed its rightful place in Christine. Ghost came with an aftermarket CD unit which didn't sound half bad... but neither did it sound as good as either stock head unit with the JBL amp. Like most aftermarket head units, that one was incompatible with the JBL amp, in fact it used no amp - they just bypassed the premium amp and the unit simply used its own internal amplifier. Putting in the tape deck meant I was stuck with my tape collection but it also meant I could upgrade to JBL. Sound wise it was definitely worth it, since I'm kind of an audiophile. My tapes are all in good shape too since even back in the day I would never leave them in cars (too OCD, my cars never have any junk lying around inside), and would always rewind them before putting them away in a case.

So anyway, I ran Ghost for a good while two days ago and blasted some Stones tapes. Good times and that suspension is definitely what you need on broken up Chicago streets. I am thinking that I will switch Christine back to rubber front bushings this year. In hindsight, poly was definitely overkill.

More to come, as this car is going to be my main driver from now until mid-March or so.
Image Image

phoenix

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 am

I drove my Mark VII around the block a week ago ago to wake up the air springs and stir the gas. I'm driving my new 98 Explorer on my new mail route now, so I'm beginning to fix my real mail truck in the garage. I hope to get that running again in a couple of weeks, and then tear into my Mark over the Winter.

Phoenix, check out Rock Auto for some new OEM maintenance parts, like the IAC. I saw the Ford part for about $40 or less recently, and stuck it in my cart for my next buy. It's a great price for an IAC that works in most 5.0 applications. I'm going to have four SBF's running eventually, so buying 2-3 will be good for me.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Drove it around locally after I did some minor detailing to Cosmo. I used Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech 2.0 Wax. I tried my best cleaning the wheels using Sonnax and Meguiars Polish. But, here's a shot of Cosmo as of today 15 August 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ricardocordoba on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm

It just about put a tear in my eye to see good old Cosmo. It's great to see he is in great hands!
Image Image
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:43 pm

IndyDave wrote:It just about put a tear in my eye to see good old Cosmo. It's great to see he is in great hands!

Thank you Dave. Cosmo needs some work. He's got a couple of oil leaks and I'll get that addressed along with the windshield that's on my list. For now I've been collecting more parts as time and money has permitted. Anyways, here's a video of Cosmo driving around a business area. I was trying my GoPro camera out and decided to mount to see how it works. Kind of a boring video but, I'll post it anyways. https://youtu.be/UURXo78cj_I
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Took Blu out for a 45 minute drive to nowhere. Since we have been doing an addition/remodel to our house, I have had zero time to play cars. Since the Ox is blocked by a pile of gravel in front of the garage, I figured I would take Blu. They both need a little trip to get the juices going, but the Ox is just going to have to wait :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Last month from central Georgia to Baltimore, MD for a funeral in an '89 LSC. 1500 miles round trip on regular gas. 23 mpg and the air conditioning worked great!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Moved from central GA to Baltimore MD. We drove the merchant marine ('89 LSC) with a blown OD but no surprises for the 750 mile ride. Did use 1 1/2 quarts of oil at those sustained higher revs but kept speed to 60 mph. 28 years and 195,000 miles. As Robert Crumb said; "Keep on truckin'!"

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Well done Bob, good trip then.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 pm

robertbweltzien wrote:Moved from central GA to Baltimore MD. We drove the merchant marine ('89 LSC) with a blown OD but no surprises for the 750 mile ride. Did use 1 1/2 quarts of oil at those sustained higher revs but kept speed to 60 mph. 28 years and 195,000 miles. As Robert Crumb said; "Keep on truckin'!"

Bob

"Goin' Up The Country" - Canned Heat

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Previous

Return to The Mark VII Bar and Grill