REFERENCE: Engine Bay Cleaning a la Onewaystreet

degreasing, cleaning, restoring, detailing

Re: REFERENCE: Engine Bay Cleaning a la Onewaystreet

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Fri May 14, 2010 2:28 am

I'm not an Armor All fan either. It supposedly dries out plastic and leaves this awful shine on interior parts. The method though, clearly works. Many thanks to Rick!

Griot's has an underhood dressing that seems like it would work well. I have not tried it yet. I would trust anything from them, Meguiar's, Zymol, or Mother's.
1985 Continental, Burgundy - In CT, Free to a good home!
1986 Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite Metallic (1J), Project #1
1986 Mark VII LSC, Silver Metallic, Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #, Unfortunate Parts Car, Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC, Pewter Metallic (17) #2, Project #2
1994 Mazda Miata, Classic Red
1999 Dodge Viper ACR, Viper Silver Metallic
1999 Jaguar XJR, Black, Stock
2000 BMW 540i/A, Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5, Anthracite Metallic, Stock
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 am

I don't know what all the hub-bub is all about with Armor All... I've used it to detail all my car's interiors since I got my first car, 10 years ago, and never had any problems with it, and I rather like the shine it puts out. Although I would not use it on my tires.

Other products I use are:
Simoniz White Wall tire cleaner & Eagle1 Tire shine - used together. Tire shine 1st, then white wall formula after
Ice instant spray detailer - used to quickly detail exterior paint between car washes.
Simoniz leather protectant - for the seats, console, shifter and steering wheel
Mothers chrome polish - for obvious reasons
Meguires Plast-X - used to help reduce oxidization of plastic lenses, (headlights and such)
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Fri May 14, 2010 9:13 am

Here's a trick I learned a long time ago for white walls...

Use an SOS pad on the white wall to remove scuffs and marks as well as just plain grime.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby artbaileyjr » Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 am

I used to use "No Touch" tire cleaner under-hood, but Rick's Windex and Armorall system is far and away better.
I too, don't understand the issue with Armorall. I have also been using the standard and Leather care for almost as long as they have been on the market, and if used properly, and on the correct surfaces, they work great. I keep ~most~ of my cars for long periods of time (10 years +) and I have never had an issue from the use of Armorall products, which to this day, I use regularly.

NOW.... some of the CRAP that the detail shops put on turns like molasses after a short while, but I "clean" that crap off with an Armorall moistened rag, and then dry afterwords.

The bow of my boat is a yellow flame job laid over matte black. For 20 years, Armorall has been use on the matte black (which we walk over with our wet, sandy feet as we beach the boat) as well as the black upholstery in the boat which sees 115 degree Lake Havasu Sun for most to the summer. It is cooled with water soaked towels so you can sit on it without blistering yourself from the hot vinyl. Armorall has protected that upholstery for 15 years and it was finely re-upholstered a few years ago from simple wear and tear.

(sorry, most of my boat pictures are on "prints" in Idaho with the boat!)

I have never had an issue with it, if used properly and with reasonable application. (And yes! I slather it on my tires!)

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Fri May 14, 2010 5:03 pm

I've noticed some tire dressings make for significantly reduced traction if not carefully applied. I slid a Crown Vic around a corner at 25 MPH or less on a test drive because someone just detailed the car. I had to go back and double check for sand because the rear end came around so easily. The street was clean.

Everyone has their favorite _______. ;)
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby warwgn » Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 pm

ND4SPDLSC wrote:I've noticed some tire dressings make for significantly reduced traction if not carefully applied. I slid a Crown Vic around a corner at 25 MPH or less on a test drive because someone just detailed the car. I had to go back and double check for sand because the rear end came around so easily. The street was clean.

Well, if the guy's dumb enough to put the the tire shine on the tread.... :roll: I've seen that here at local cruises, and just shake my head.
Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1990 Bill Blass, Black w/ canavas Landau roof. Mods: 3.08 trac-lock rear end, Draw-Tite Class 1 bumper mount trailer tow hitch.
2003 Ford Explorer Limited. 4.6L V-8. 5spd Auto 3.73 rear 4x4. Class 4 hitch.
warwgn
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ND4SPDLSC » Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Hizhonor wrote:
ND4SPDLSC wrote:I've noticed some tire dressings make for significantly reduced traction if not carefully applied. I slid a Crown Vic around a corner at 25 MPH or less on a test drive because someone just detailed the car. I had to go back and double check for sand because the rear end came around so easily. The street was clean.

Actually most top end shows frown upon ANY type of rubber or plastic dressings on the car that "excede" that 'factory look'. I was told this by a guy that judges at Concours shows!

Armor All is the worst crap you can put on your car. Those that do it, well, you've heard more stories against using it than for it. Hey.... it's YOUR car!

Yes, concours and other shows where cars are judged on condition lprefer cars with clean and original looking finishes on the surfaces. The exception are cars with a history and shown with a patina...i.e. as found from the barn and just washed but not repainted.

For me, I just hate the stuff for the glare and grease it leaves behind in addition to the drying issue. But, to each his own.
ND4SPDLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby eightlives » Sun May 16, 2010 10:02 pm

OneWayStreet wrote:
ND4SPDLSC wrote:
Hizhonor wrote:

Actually most top end shows frown upon ANY type of rubber or plastic dressings on the car that "excede" that 'factory look'. I was told this by a guy that judges at Concours shows!

Armor All is the worst crap you can put on your car. Those that do it, well, you've heard more stories against using it than for it. Hey.... it's YOUR car!

Yes, concours and other shows where cars are judged on condition lprefer cars with clean and original looking finishes on the surfaces. The exception are cars with a history and shown with a patina...i.e. as found from the barn and just washed but not repainted.

For me, I just hate the stuff for the glare and grease it leaves behind in addition to the drying issue. But, to each his own.

Did you 2 bother to read this sentence in my tech article?

"I DO NOT recommend the method if you have show-detailed your engine compartment. My car is used as almost-daily transportation, but I still want it looking good under the hood!"

I'd never dream of doing this engine detailing method under the hood of my Chevelle. My Lincoln was a driver and was treated as such. I just happened to win some stupid trophies and plaques along the way, because I know what I'm doing! Now what was designed to help enthusiasts that want a quick method of engine detailing is now not good enough for "top end shows" and "Concours shows"! Um, excuse me, but NO DUH! The intent was to help the average auto enthusiast, not be a substitute for a restoration.

I suppose in the future, when I discover or hear of a cool detailing trick, I'll just keep it to myself. :roll:

Certainly hope the info that I have passed on to the other car enthusiasts was found to be helpful and useful. That has always been my only intent.

The Dead Guy

Rick, chill man, this started as a way to give you props not bash yah, it's just that something you used it under debate. Armor All is what is under attack NOT you... some people love it , and have used it for years.. others have had nothing but bad experiences. I've never used your method, but I plan too...
eightlives

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Hey, I don't care what anyone says, I do it to all of my cars regularly. When I raise my hood, I'm rarely ashamed of what it looks like thanks to Rick. (Unless I let it go too long) I continuously get comments on how great it looks. :shock:
I, for one, appreciate the tip from Rick and it has become my standard method ever since I read it.

Thanks Rick! :D

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Return to Engine Bay