transmission flush

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Re: transmission flush

Postby K MANIAC » Wed May 27, 2009 11:20 am

Hey Spooky:

The transmission fluid (aka: ATF) should be changed every 30,000 miles. What you need to know is that about half of the ATF will drain out when you remove the transmission oil pan and the other half of the fluid is trapped in the torque converter. Plus, there is a small quantity of ATF in the cooling lines between the transmission and the radiator.

There are two schools of thought regarding an ATF change. One method is the basic "change", where you drop the transmission oil pan, replace the filter , put it back together and refill with new ATF. NOTE: There is no drain plug on the transmission oil pan. This method replaces approximately half the fluid. The other method is the "flush", where you start with the "change" above, then disconnect the cooling return line, aim the return line into a drain pan, start the engine and pump the remaining old fluid out. Next, reconnect the line and add new fluid until full.

If I am not mistaken, these transmission use Dextron/Mercon ATF.

I am sure others will speak up on this topic. Let us know if you have any other questions or comments.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass
1989 Mark VII LSC
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
Chapter Coordinator

Postby K MANIAC » Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 am

One more thing: ATF is bright red in color. You check for proper ATF level in the transmission by driving the car so it is hot, letting the car idle (engine running) in "Park" and checking the level from the transmission dip stick. Keep the level between "Add" and "Full" and don't overfill. The ATF will start to turn brown as it ages in the transmission. A quick rule of thumb when checking ATF:

Red ATF = Good :D no need to change in the near future
Reddish Brown ATF = Fair :| should consider changing in the near future
Brown ATF = BAD :o change immediately!
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass
1989 Mark VII LSC
K MANIAC
Chapter Coordinator

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Spooky,
The dipstick is at the rear of the engine on the passenger side, between the engine and the air conditioning junk. (Kinda down in there) Look for a yellow dipstick.

Use Dextron/Mercon. (It should say on the dipstick... I think...)

Just for reference, all owner service checkpoints are painted or colored yellow.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby tomnh » Wed May 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Dr. Spooky,

This is one service that I leave to the experts. I have a great Tranny place here and I let them do a complete service. Remove all old fluid and replace with new, adjust tranny and test. Costs a few bucks, but in my opinion, it is well worth it. :D 8-)
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
SITE ADMIN

Postby K MANIAC » Wed May 27, 2009 3:45 pm

"Enos, you dipstick!!" - Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane, The Dukes of Hazzard, 1979

The transmission dipstick on my Mark is that black looped thingie near the lower center of this picture.

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass
1989 Mark VII LSC
K MANIAC
Chapter Coordinator

Postby K MANIAC » Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey Art - Are any of the bands adjustable on the AOD?? I recall that no band adjustment in necessary on the 1997 TC, but what about a Mark VII? :?

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass
1989 Mark VII LSC
K MANIAC
Chapter Coordinator

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Black? Hmmmm..... Gunna' have to take another look at mine. I wonder if it's a year thing?

Never mind the "yellow" thing! They come in black too! :shock: :roll:

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 27, 2009 3:59 pm

K MANIAC wrote:Hey Art - Are any of the bands adjustable on the AOD?? I recall that no band adjustment in necessary on the 1997 TC, but what about a Mark VII? :?

I'm not a transmission guy. I put it in gear and it either goes or it doesn't. <shrug>

If it doesn't go, I add fluid or install a TVB. (OK, I also change the fluid every year or so....) :oops:

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby K MANIAC » Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:
K MANIAC wrote:Hey Art - Are any of the bands adjustable on the AOD?? I recall that no band adjustment in necessary on the 1997 TC, but what about a Mark VII? :?

I'm not a transmission guy. I put it in gear and it either goes or it doesn't. <shrug>

If it doesn't go, I add fluid or install a TVB. (OK, I also change the fluid every year or so....) :oops:

Art

Well, the old Torqueflites as well as the modern miniature in my Shadow have adjsutable bands. The automatic in my (soon to be) father-in-law's Aerostar has adjustable bands. I guess I have to do some research into the AOD. I'm in no hurry since I only have 22,000 miles on the rebuild in my Mark.

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass
1989 Mark VII LSC
K MANIAC
Chapter Coordinator

Postby gadget73 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 pm

K MANIAC wrote:Well, the old Torqueflites as well as the modern miniature in my Shadow have adjsutable bands. The automatic in my (soon to be) father-in-law's Aerostar has adjustable bands. I guess I have to do some research into the AOD. I'm in no hurry since I only have 22,000 miles on the rebuild in my Mark.

No band adjustments on the AOD.

One thing that concerns me about a lot of places is that their idea of a trans service is to hook up a machine to the line, suck all the old fluid out and replace it with fresh. This does replace the fluid, but it ignores the filter in the pan, and it doesn't allow dropping of the pan to look for surprises. The filters don't usually clog, but changing the fluid without the filter to me is like doing half the job. The pan also should be inspected for any junk which might indicate a problem. There is usually always a little bit of something in there, but what you don't want to see are metal shavings, chunks, a thick sludgey film of clutch material, or really anything other than maybe a little bit of dirt and possibly a few specs of clutch material. Lots of crap in the pan usually indicates a problem that will become obvious at some point. If you've got some advance warning, you can at least start saving up for it.

I've actually installed a drain plug in one of my trans pans to make it easier to service. I can drain the pan, then drop it without making a big mess. The drain plug kit was less than 10 bucks and very easy to install. Just need a drill of the proper size.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed May 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Spooky,
That is indeed the EGR.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby fremar68 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Spooky:

I've got a buddy who works at a Transmission Shop who does my Transmissions. He performs after hours jobs on a discounted basis as requested by his friends. He uses the Machine that hooks up to the two (inlet and outlet) Transmission lines at the Radiator. He also drops the Transmission Pan first and removes the Transmission Filter before using the Machine. Once the Transmission and Torque Converter are drained (amount measured by the machine) he refills them with fresh fluid, then adds for the amount dropped from the Pan.

Like Tom said, for the small amount of money, you can't beat it. Then again, Tom and I are not as young as you are to be laying under a car doing that kind of work anymore.

Another Driver's choice item.

Fred D.
The Chairman
fremar68
BOARD MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh I don't claim to like doing trans services. Its messy beyond my liking, however I just don't trust most places to do it right. Given the choice of getting messy or buying a trans, I'll get messy. As long as the pan is dropped, I'm pretty much OK with it. Its the ones that don't do the pan and filter that concern me. It just makes me think of changing the engine oil without doing the filter with it.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Return to Engine