Air bag light flashing.

Discussion of STOCK anti-theft system, charging system, connections, fuses, grounds, ignition system, lighting system, relays, sensors, switches, wiring systems.

Re: Air bag light flashing.

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm about to sound like the shop when i say this but, the answer to your question depends on what ~code~ the safety air bag light is flashing.

Once we know that, then someone can say something like, "code 33 = Your SRS battery is dead" or "code 12 = The kick panel sensor is toast" or "code 69 = Not enough oxygen".

Seriously, STARE at the light. Eventually, you'll notice a rythm, such as

flash flash flash pause flash flash pause flash flash flash pause flash flash

That's THREE flashes then two flashes for a code 32.
oldschool1
BOARD MEMBER

Postby gadget73 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:00 am

What year is the car again? 90-91 have different codes than 92 models do.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby gadget73 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm

I didn't know the early module could even display 2 codes at once, but I've never studied the system to any extreme depth. The wording in the 1991 manual about this is "the coded fault feature is prioritized that if two or more differeent faults occur at the same time, the highest priority fault indication will be shown until corrected". I'd figure that means it only shows one at a time, but maybe its different in 1990.

To my knowlege, code 10 is unfixable. It means the wiring shorted and now the module is toast. The fuse is not a serviceable item (in theory). The trouble is, you'll have to find out why it shorted and fix that, otherwise a replacement module will burn out too. Most likely suspect is the clockspring, but it may be shorted anywhere between the airbag and the airbag module. 9 is usually just a matter of cleaning under the crash sensors on the front of the rad support and cleaning the connectors up. Disable the airbag before doing this just to be 100% sure it won't explode on you.

If at all possible, I'd very highly suggest getting your hands on a Ford factory service manual. It has more information about the various systems and how to properly diagnose them than you'd ever want to know.

Just for reference, in case someone wants to archive the full list somewhere:

On the '89-91 systems, you simply count the flashes from the Airbag lamp to get the fault code.
Code Component Fault/Description
2 All Primary Crash Sensors Disconnected.
3 Air Bag Deployment Circuit - Low Battery Voltage or Low Backup Power Supply Voltage
4 Safing Sensor - Diagnostic Circuit Open or Low Primary Crash Sensor Resistance
5 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
6 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
7 Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
8 Primary Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
9 Primary Crash Sensor Circuit - Open or High Resistance
10 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Open Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

1992-

In the 1992 model year the systems changed. 1992 System 2 was used in the Taurus/Sable, Town Car (built after 11/5/91), and Continental. To obtain the code on this system, count two sets of flashes and interpret it as a 2-digit code (e.g., flash-flash pause flash-flash-flash = 23)
Code Component Fault/Description
12 Low Battery Voltage
13 Air Bag Circuit - Shorted to Ground
14 Primary Crash Sensor - Shorted to Ground
21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit - Open
24 Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit - Open
32 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - High Resistance or Open
33 Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - High Resistance or Open
34 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
35 Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
41 Primary Crash Sensor #1 Feed/Return Circuit - Open
42 Primary Crash Sensor #2 Feed/Return Circuit - Open
44 Primary Crash Sensor #1 - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45 Primary Crash Sensor #2 - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Open Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
53 Primary Crash Sensor Circuits - Resistance to Ground, or Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Rapid Continuous Flashing of AIR BAG Readiness Lamp - All Primary Crash Sensors Disconnected
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
gadget73

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Don't forget that we have a great "Tech Section". I did a piece a year or so ago addressing a specific issue. It does show locations and general cautions and precautions while working on these systems. Here; I'll give you a lift: http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... AirBag.pdf

Hope this helps.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby DreDaDevil » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:Don't forget that we have a great "Tech Section". I did a piece a year or so ago addressing a specific issue. It does show locations and general cautions and precautions while working on these systems. Here; I'll give you a lift: http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... AirBag.pdf

Hope this helps.

Art

Yeah Ive got 10 flashes on the airbag light and no dashboard lights, no fog lights, no overhead console lights or courtesy lights. Would this process help me as well Art?
DreDaDevil

Postby artbaileyjr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:12 pm

DreDaDevil wrote:
artbaileyjr wrote:Don't forget that we have a great "Tech Section". I did a piece a year or so ago addressing a specific issue. It does show locations and general cautions and precautions while working on these systems. Here; I'll give you a lift: http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... AirBag.pdf

Hope this helps.

Art

Yeah Ive got 10 flashes on the airbag light and no dashboard lights, no fog lights, no overhead console lights or courtesy lights. Would this process help me as well Art?

I suspect that you have more than one issue.
I would first check/replace the fuses having to do with the items that don't work.

Here's what I do in situations like this, or when acquiring a new Mark. I buy a giant economy sized assortment of fuses. I take a pair of needle nose pliers and replace EVERY fuse. I just start at one end of the fuse panel and work my way to the other, pulling one fuse at a time and replacing them by color. (Pull a blue; Stick in a replacement blue. Pull a green; Stick in a replacement green, etc, etc.) Often times this will bring things to life that you didn't even realize didn't work. Check/tighten the fusible links at the starter solenoid/battery cable. Check/tighten the ground at the core support, right in front of the battery and connected to the negative battery cable. Check the ground above the diver's side vanity panel. (Large black wire held to chassis with a hex screw.)

Once the other stuff is working, see if you still have a blinking airbag light. If it's still 10 blinks, usually that means that the control module is defective. :(

Let us know how it goes.

Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby DreDaDevil » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:28 am

artbaileyjr wrote:
DreDaDevil wrote:

Hope this helps.

Art

I suspect that you have more than one issue.
I would first check/replace the fuses having to do with the items that don't work.

Here's what I do in situations like this, or when acquiring a new Mark. I buy a giant economy sized assortment of fuses. I take a pair of needle nose pliers and replace EVERY fuse. I just start at one end of the fuse panel and work my way to the other, pulling one fuse at a time and replacing them by color. (Pull a blue; Stick in a replacement blue. Pull a green; Stick in a replacement green, etc, etc.) Often times this will bring things to life that you didn't even realize didn't work. Check/tighten the fusible links at the starter solenoid/battery cable. Check/tighten the ground at the core support, right in front of the battery and connected to the negative battery cable. Check the ground above the diver's side vanity panel. (Large black wire held to chassis with a hex screw.)

Once the other stuff is working, see if you still have a blinking airbag light. If it's still 10 blinks, usually that means that the control module is defective. :(

Let us know how it goes.

Art

i will check out all the fuses tomorrow. just its a pain in the ass getting to the fusebox and checking fuses thats all.
DreDaDevil

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 am

Welcome back to the life of a Lincoln Mark VII owner who works on thier own vehicles.

Now you know why some mechanics charge $100.00 per hour (or any part thereof) to service our Luxury Sport Coupes.
oldschool1
BOARD MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:54 pm

DreDaDevil wrote: ... just its a pain in the ass getting to the fusebox and checking fuses thats all.

Hehehehe ... That's why I change them all by color.
I just kneel outside of the car on a blanket or thick towel and use a pair of needle nose. If I actually positioned myself where I could look closely at the fuse panel, it would take a search and rescue team to get me back out of the car! :lol:

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby tomnh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:
DreDaDevil wrote: ... just its a pain in the ass getting to the fusebox and checking fuses thats all.

Hehehehe ... That's why I change them all by color.
I just kneel outside of the car on a blanket or thick towel and use a pair of needle nose. If I actually positioned myself where I could look closely at the fuse panel, it would take a search and rescue team to get me back out of the car! :lol:

Art

I found the easiest way to change the fuses and other stuff under the dash. I pay a skinny 10yr old. They can get into the strangest positions and get out again :lol:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
SITE ADMIN

Postby Marked for life » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Can you unplug safely the abs crash sensors for testing without having to remove the blue abs backup power supply
located above the glovebox?
Marked for life

Postby Stargazer LSC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 am

My '92 is flashing code 22 - there isn't a chance that this thing will punch me in the face at 200mph for no reason, is there?
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma"
Stargazer LSC

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am

After replacing the module, I am getting code 14

Primary sensor short. Which one is the primary? The center one by the grille??
I cleaned the grounds already.
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
-----------------------------------
92 LSC.
07 Lexus GS430.