3.27 differential

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

3.27 differential

Postby swithstang4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 am

Just got a '90 SE, so is it using a 8.8" 3.27 differential? Does this mean it is a limited slip unit and will have a "clutch pack"? If so, I'm assuming it needs replacing on an 82k mile car. When I had my '94 Lightning I noticed a "one wheel peel" and remedied that with a new clutch pack and fluid with friction modifier from Ford. I don't plan on doing burnouts with my Lincoln or taking it down the 1/4, but my policy is if something's worn it gets replaced.
User avatar
swithstang4
 


Re: 3.27 differential

Postby swithstang4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 am

Axle code was "5." That means an open diff? Disappointing. Oh well, I wasn't planning on running Mickey Thompsons anyhow. Guess I'll just check the fluid and see if its low or bad looking and go from there.
User avatar
swithstang4
 

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby 2manymarks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 am

swithstang4 wrote:Just got a '90 SE, so is it using a 8.8" 3.27 differential? Does this mean it is a limited slip unit and will have a "clutch pack"? If so, I'm assuming it needs replacing on an 82k mile car. When I had my '94 Lightning I noticed a "one wheel peel" and remedied that with a new clutch pack and fluid with friction modifier from Ford. I don't plan on doing burnouts with my Lincoln or taking it down the 1/4, but my policy is if something's worn it gets replaced.


The type of usage the car had and ultimately an inspection would determine the need for overhaul. I recently had my 89 w/68k on it apart and the expert said trac-loc was in perfect shape. 8-)
As of April2013, 10Mark VII's, 2licensed for the road:
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock81k
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock-totalled but driving124k
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $1500.
1986 Bill Blass (8T)stock 75k miles
1986 Black beast w/carbed393++, 5spd 375hp PROJ FOR SALE $2500. (GTC kit available)
1984 TD Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1800.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Maroon, 158K
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby swithstang4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 am

Am I reading the axle chart correctly? a "5" means its "conventional" and not trac-loc?
User avatar
swithstang4
 

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby 2manymarks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 am

swithstang4 wrote:Am I reading the axle chart correctly? a "5" means its "conventional" and not trac-loc?


Correct.
As of April2013, 10Mark VII's, 2licensed for the road:
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock81k
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock-totalled but driving124k
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $1500.
1986 Bill Blass (8T)stock 75k miles
1986 Black beast w/carbed393++, 5spd 375hp PROJ FOR SALE $2500. (GTC kit available)
1984 TD Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1800.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Maroon, 158K
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby mikeceli » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 pm

The FSM gives a procedure to test the LSD. It involves using an adaptor to attach a torque wrench, to the right axle. Then mearureing the torque required to turn (break away) the axle.
User avatar
mikeceli
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 am
Location: N California

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm

It doesn't take much effort to overcome the clutches when they are working, say 50lbs.ft. maybe. If there is any mileage on them or you aren't sure, rebuild them. It's not expensive for the kit, and it isn't very hard to change them.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby gadget73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm

If you just want to know if someone converted it to a traction lock carrier, jack the back of the car up and put it in neutral. Spin one tire by hand. If both wheels go the same way, its got a limited slip. If they go opposite ways, its an open carrier.
86 Lincoln Town Car, HO swap, big brakes, lots of other stuff
91 LSC SE, triple black, United Exhaust 2.25" exhaust system, ES poly front bushings
User avatar
gadget73
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Southern NJ

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby swithstang4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 pm

10-4
User avatar
swithstang4
 

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:17 pm

My below pictured "Shifty" decoded as a peg-leg on the certification label. Once I saw this, I was immediately on the prowl for a LSD. Sometime later I raised the rear to do something. I intended to rotate the tire/wheel for [whatever] reason and it wouldn't move. Confused; I took the car out of gear (I had converted it to a 5 speed) and both rear wheels moved together!

I crawled under the car and removed the tag from the cover bolt, and took it to the wire wheel, then shot an image of it and replaced it on the car. Sure enough, somewhere along the line, somehow a LSD got stuck under there. With over 100K on the clock, I decided to do the street racer, shade tree mechanic authorized and long recognized clutch pack test: One wheel in the dirt; one on asphalt! :lol: It left a nice black passing grade on the asphalt. (It dug a nice trench in the dirt as well. :lol: )

I've learned not to simply accept things at face value when it comes to these cars. They are not Mustangs and the folks that originally owned them were generally affluent. If someone happened to get stuck in the mud once, they may have just dropped it off at the dealer and said: "Fix that!". ;) You just never know. :lol:

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

Image
... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
User avatar
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:09 am
Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:39 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:...They are not Mustangs and the folks that originally owned them were generally affluent. If someone happened to get stuck in the mud once, they may have just dropped it off at the dealer and said: "Fix that!". ;) You just never know. :lol:

Art

+1
User avatar
oldschool1
BOARD MEMBER
 
Posts: 7150
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: Primos, Pennsylvania USA

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby 2manymarks » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:My below pictured "Shifty" decoded as a peg-leg on the certification label. Once I saw this, I was immediately on the prowl for a LSD. Sometime later I raised the rear to do something. I intended to rotate the tire/wheel for [whatever] reason and it wouldn't move. Confused; I took the car out of gear (I had converted it to a 5 speed) and both rear wheels moved together!

I crawled under the car and removed the tag from the cover bolt, and took it to the wire wheel, then shot an image of it and replaced it on the car. Sure enough, somewhere along the line, somehow a LSD got stuck under there. With over 100K on the clock, I decided to do the street racer, shade tree mechanic authorized and long recognized clutch pack test: One wheel in the dirt; one on asphalt! :lol: It left a nice black passing grade on the asphalt. (It dug a nice trench in the dirt as well. :lol: )

I've learned not to simply accept things at face value when it comes to these cars. They are not Mustangs and the folks that originally owned them were generally affluent. If someone happened to get stuck in the mud once, they may have just dropped it off at the dealer and said: "Fix that!". ;) You just never know. :lol:

Art


I agree that after 20 + years that you may find anything that can be changed, changed. But I am not buying any story about LSC's coming out of the factory in any numbers with other than a 3.27. I'd have to see the 3.08 code on the door label first.
As of April2013, 10Mark VII's, 2licensed for the road:
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock81k
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock-totalled but driving124k
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $1500.
1986 Bill Blass (8T)stock 75k miles
1986 Black beast w/carbed393++, 5spd 375hp PROJ FOR SALE $2500. (GTC kit available)
1984 TD Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1800.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Maroon, 158K
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 am

Hmmm. Did I miss something in this thread about a 3.08, or was that just a general statement. <shrug>
I've never seen a 3.08 in an LSC either. Seems like Bill Blass territory only.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

Image
... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
User avatar
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:09 am
Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby 2manymarks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 am

artbaileyjr wrote:Hmmm. Did I miss something in this thread about a 3.08, or was that just a general statement. <shrug>
I've never seen a 3.08 in an LSC either. Seems like Bill Blass territory only.

Art


You may have missed this thread viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4611 8-)
As of April2013, 10Mark VII's, 2licensed for the road:
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock81k
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock-totalled but driving124k
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $1500.
1986 Bill Blass (8T)stock 75k miles
1986 Black beast w/carbed393++, 5spd 375hp PROJ FOR SALE $2500. (GTC kit available)
1984 TD Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1800.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Maroon, 158K
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby swithstang4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 am

That was just a general statement. Nobody claimed a 3.08.

I'll check to see if the diff has been changed but I'm guessing it hasn't, based on the fact it was a one owner car and I've gone through old maintenance receipts and it appears the car was driven gently for 81k miles and the only things done were tires, brakes, oil changes, and "desludge" the injectors.
User avatar
swithstang4
 

Re: 3.27 differential

Postby 2manymarks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 am

swithstang4 wrote:That was just a general statement. Nobody claimed a 3.08.

...........................................................


Somebody did, but on the other thread, that's what I was referring to. Read this thread <viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4611> 8-)
As of April2013, 10Mark VII's, 2licensed for the road:
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock81k
1989 Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock-totalled but driving124k
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $1500.
1986 Bill Blass (8T)stock 75k miles
1986 Black beast w/carbed393++, 5spd 375hp PROJ FOR SALE $2500. (GTC kit available)
1984 TD Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1800.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Maroon, 158K
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast


Return to Drivetrain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests